• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk at its best !! (1 Viewer)

Fat Rat

Hi All

Well the weekend is finally starting to catch up with me so I would tell you about my weekend away.
Now where do I start, This has to be the best birding trip I have ever been on, 3 days in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Well sadly I was just shy of the 100 with only a measly 90 species for the weekend (so much for Steves promises) but I can assure you I am not feeling short changed, and ALL mine have been seen ( you know who I am talking about )
I have just counted through my list and have found a grand total of 17 lifers hee hee, surely that must be some kind of record for a weekends birding, Here is a full list of my sightings for the 3 day trip :-

AVOCET ( Lifer )
BAR - TAILED GODWIT
BARN OWL
BARNACLE GOOSE
BEARDED TIT ( Lifer )
BITTERN
BLACK - HEADED GULL
BLACKBIRD
BLACKCAP
BLACK - TAILED GODWIT ( Lifer )
BLUE TIT
BUZZARD
CANADA GOOSE
CARRION CROW
CETTI'S WARBLER ( Lifer )
CHAFFINCH
CHIFFCHAFF
COAL TIT
COMMON SANDPIPER ( Lifer )
COMMON TERN
COOT
CORMORANT
DARTFORD WARBLER ( Lifer )
DUNNOCK
EGYPTIAN GOOSE ( Lifer )
FIRECREST ( Lifer )
GADWALL
GOLDFINCH
GREAT CRESTED GREBE
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER
GREAT TIT
GREEN WOODPECKER
GREENFINCH
GREY HERON
GREY PLOVER
GREY WAGTAIL
GREYLAG GOOSE
HOBBY ( Lifer )
HOUSE SPARROW
KENTISH PLOVER ( Lifer )
KESTREL
LAPWING
LINNET
LITTLE GREBE
LITTLE RINGED PLOVER
LITTLE TERN ( Lifer )
LONG - TAILED TIT
MAGPIE
MALLARD
MARSH HARRIER ( Lifer )
MARSH TIT
MEDITERRANEAN GULL ( Lifer )
MISTLE THRUSH
MOORHEN
MUTE SWAN
NIGHTINGALE ( Lifer )
OYSTERCATCHER
PARTRIDGE
PHEASANT
PIED WAGTAIL
POCHARD
RED LEGGED PARTRIDGE ( Lifer )
REDSHANK
REDSTART ( Lifer )
REED BUNTING
RINGED PLOVER
ROBIN
ROOK
RUDDY DUCK
SANDERLING
SANDMARTIN
SANDWICH TERN
SEDGE WARBLER
SHELDUCK
SHOVELER
SISKIN
SKYLARK
SPARROWHAWK
SPOTTED REDSHANK ( Lifer )
STONECHAT
SWALLOW
TEAL
TREECREEPER
TUFTED DUCK
TURNSTONE
WHITETHROAT
WIDGEON
WOODLARK ( Lifer )
WOODPIGEON
WREN

I am well happy with this list, My highlight I think would have to have been the Firecrest, what a little beauty.
Also some nice camio roles from :-

Muntjack Deer
Red Deer
Squirrel
Adders
Grass Snake, wasn't sure at first and was reluctant to pick it up just in case it bit me...

Cheers

David (FAT RAT)

P.S.

Had a mini twitch to Teesside today with Steve, Les was out for the count and picked up 2 more lifers

Spoonbill
Yellow Wagtail

Happy Days

Aw David, what a great list, I see you have my Dartford Wabler bogey bird there (one day I hope) & well done with all your lifers. I dont often read about Woodlark sightings, I bet that was a treat.
Norfolk has super mixed habitat for various species David. Would love to visit one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back