• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for use with Nikon 80mm Spotting scope (1 Viewer)

wally170

Hi folks,

I have searched the forum but can't find any threads, i'm not sure there are many of using NMikon spotting scopes.

I currently use a Nikon 80mm angled spotting scope with my canon S45 digi-compact and a Baader adapter to hold the camera in place.

Just recently the trusty Canon has taken a few falls, 1 from about 8 feet onto concrete, (scope was over my shoulder and canera was still attached |>| ) and although it is still working im looking for a relacement.

Can anybody recommend a good digi-compact, preferabbly 6mp or more that may be good with this Nikon scope. I'm looking for as little Vignetting as possible and a good set of functions.

Thanks in advance.

Wally

wally170 said:
Hi folks,

I have searched the forum but can't find any threads, i'm not sure there are many of using NMikon spotting scopes.

I currently use a Nikon 80mm angled spotting scope with my canon S45 digi-compact and a Baader adapter to hold the camera in place.

Just recently the trusty Canon has taken a few falls, 1 from about 8 feet onto concrete, (scope was over my shoulder and canera was still attached |>| ) and although it is still working im looking for a relacement.

Can anybody recommend a good digi-compact, preferabbly 6mp or more that may be good with this Nikon scope. I'm looking for as little Vignetting as possible and a good set of functions.

Thanks in advance.

Wally
I think there are plenty of threads on Nikon scopes - but mainly the EDIII and ED82, perhaps?

The current pick of the crop of digicams seems to be the new Fuji F30. It has the unique ability to take noise free shots at quite high ASA ratings - it goes up to 3200ASA but is useable at 800ASA without any problem.

Something else that might be of interest is a new swing-type adapter - there's a link here. They make the adapters to suit whatever camera/scope you need.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, when i said there wern;t any threads on Nikon Scopes, I meant the 80mm, and there probably are loads, but I couldn't find any usefull ones. :)

Thanks for the info on the F30, it looks a nice camera.
I'm a Canon man really, I've been hit by the marketing, if anyone can, canon can :)

Has anybody used any of the new IXUS cameras? The IXUS 60 or the 65?

Wally

wally170 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, when i said there wern;t any threads on Nikon Scopes, I meant the 80mm, and there probably are loads, but I couldn't find any usefull ones. :)

Thanks for the info on the F30, it looks a nice camera.
I'm a Canon man really, I've been hit by the marketing, if anyone can, canon can :)

Has anybody used any of the new IXUS cameras? The IXUS 60 or the 65?

Wally
I am, too - or was! All the comments on the new Canon digicams suggest that their zoom mechanism causes a vignette shadow when used with scopes for digiscoping.

scampo said:
I am, too - or was! All the comments on the new Canon digicams suggest that their zoom mechanism causes a vignette shadow when used with scopes for digiscoping.

hmm, not so good then.

My dad has an IXUs camera, can't remember which 1, and that shows a lot more vignetting than my S45.

wally170 said:
hmm, not so good then.

My dad has an IXUs camera, can't remember which 1, and that shows a lot more vignetting than my S45.
There is a post on another thread that suggests that when used with the SRB Griturn swing-type adapter, the Canon A640 camera can be set to avoid a vignette shadow.

scampo said:
There is a post on another thread that suggests that when used with the SRB Griturn swing-type adapter, the Canon A640 camera can be set to avoid a vignette shadow.

Thanks, i will check that out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back