• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dipper in Loch (1 Viewer)

lyonheart

As I sat munching my lunch at Loch Rannoch shoreside today a dipper appeared from the loch, near the shore, and perched on a nearby rock. Nothing unusual.

After a brief perch it flew out across the bay and to my surprise dropped down into the loch some 50 yards out from the shore. It disappeared under the water. It re-appeared on the surface a couple of times, each time disappearing under the waves again to feed. After three or four dives it flew back to shore.

I'm used to seeing these birds feeding on our local rivers and streams. But I've never seen them feeding so far out in a loch before.

I'm a bit of a newbie so perhaps this is common behaviour. Just wondered if this is common or something a bit unusual.

Normal behavior, I lived in the Highlands for 30 years and have seen this behavior many times mostly in Early Spring, I asume there is a food source that we are not seeing, can anyone shed some light on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back