• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Special day out (1 Viewer)

Stranger

A special day out on the Somerset levels today, the first day in over two years that I have not had to contend with poor vision caused by cataracts.
I didn't take binoculars as I was not sure how soon after the op it would be safe to use them.
First bird of the day was a male Dunnock singing in a neighbours garden.
The next bird of note, 2 actually, were a pair of Peacocks in the road at Mark Moor! Many Grey Herons and Little Egrets on the Moor along with large flocks of Mute swans.
Ham wall produced 3 Male Garganey, male and female Marsh Harrier, 2 Distant Buzzards, 1 Treecreeper, 1 Redpoll, 1 Coal Tit,1 Kingfisher.1 Goldcrest, 1 Lapwing
Lots of Chaffinch, Blue and Great tits, Wrens, Goldfinch, Coots, Mallards, GC Grebes.Lots of Sand Martins flying over all morning
Cetti`s Warblers heard but not seen and Bitterns Booming.
Catcott lows had a few Shoveler, 1 Common Crane and 3 Roe Deer, 2 Doe and 1 Buck.
Trip back across Mark Moor produced 1 Kestrel and another 3 Roe Deer, again a Buck and two Does.
Altogether not a bad day out.
One of the consequences of the recent flooding is that a lot of hedging by the side of the Rhynes is being grubbed out to allow access for diggers to maintain them, understandable but not pleasant to see.

Last edited:
Oh I'm so pleased for you Stranger. Presumably your optician can advise you about the use of binoculars?

I shouldn't worry about not seeing the Cetti's... no-one seems to believe me that they don't exist;)

Oh I'm so pleased for you Stranger. Presumably your optician can advise you about the use of binoculars?

I shouldn't worry about not seeing the Cetti's... no-one seems to believe me that they don't exist;)

Delia.
If I didn't have photographic evidence I would have to agree that Cetti`s only exist in people`s imagination:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back