• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits - Falmouth, Cornwall, UK (1 Viewer)

GorgeousTony

I found these pipits on Gyllyngvase beach in Falmouth on Boxing Day. The first two pictures are the same bird (I think) and am reasonably confident is a Rock Pipit, primarily due to lack of supercilium. The third picture is confusing me somewhat. From the leg colour & claw length I would go for Tree Pipit but I would have expected a supercilium. Can anyone help?

Tony

Attachments

• Rock Pipit_08-12-26_013.JPG
    Rock Pipit_08-12-26_013.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Rock Pipit_08-12-26_012.JPG
    Rock Pipit_08-12-26_012.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Rock Pipit_08-12-26_011.JPG
    Rock Pipit_08-12-26_011.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 145
Two Rocks and a Meadow - the streaking to the flanks is as strong as the breast, the eye-ring is prominent and the hind claw is long. Also, most Tree Pipits have scarpered by this time of year, whereas many Meadows are resident.

Rock Pipit (x2) and Meadow Pipit.

On the latter, the legs do indeed look very pale, but orange as opposed to pink; and there are other clues (face pattern, nature of the flank streaking and background colour to the breast streaking, for example) pointing to it being a Meadow rather than Tree Pipit - not forgetting the time of year (Tree Pipit is exceptionally rare in the UK after October and before April). Hope this helps.

thanks guys. If I'd read my Collins carefully I would have seen that Tree Pipits have departed by now. My only quibble is that the hind claw on the Meadow doesn't look long enough to me but its difficult to tell from this picture and I don't have any other shots. thanks all

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back