• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Sichuan (1 Viewer)

china guy

A taff living in Sichuan
Anybody have an idea on this one?

All the best - Sid

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 225
It's a large Aquila, I would lean towards Golden Eagle on shape, but could it be an Eastern Imperial Eagle in China?

It's a large Aquila, I would lean towards Golden Eagle on shape, but could it be an Eastern Imperial Eagle in China?

I'm also torn between the two, gut reaction was Imperial but the white tail base in both images would lean more towards Golden despite the fact its not very extensive.

Imperial I believe is a scarce passage bird through the region

Last edited:
Golden is the most likely.

jizz doesn't work for Imperial for me.

With the hint of an underwing bar and white subterminal band on the tail tI also considered a ragged Crested Serpent Eagle, especially as the pix show a short thick neck but the wings are just too long - and I guess it would be unlikely that far north

Cheers
Mike

here's some more pics

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 186
Golden Eagle Edit! - is now blown out the water, I knew I should have waited for other pics... See CAU's comment below, it is I believe a Crested Serpent Eagle

Last edited:
IMO it's a Crested Serpent Eagle.
-the bases of the remiges are black (should be white on a juvenile/subadult Golden Eagle)
-the white band is too close the trailing edge of the wing, reaching even the fingers, and it's too evenly broad (should be broader at the hand on a Golden Eagle)
-there are no white patches on the upperside of the wings
-there's just a narrow white band across the middle of the tail, on a juv/subad Golden Eagle the entire base of the tail is white
-if you lighten the pictures, a hint of a yellow face becomes visible in most pictures
-the wings and tail look too short for a Golden Eagle
-at least one primary is missing from both wings, giving the wing tips a more fingered look than usual
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonesomecrow/2125207320/

By blowing the images up, as CAU probabaly did, to 200+ - the pattern of Crested Serpant Eagel emerge, although a little thrown by the deep fingered appearance. Might be a subadult since primaries are banded. Bulging secondaries 'phinced in' near the body.

JanJ

Cheers guys - we're also going - Crested Serpent - in the field it just didnt say Golden - and we get to see a lot of Goldies. What was throwing us was that fingered look!!!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back