• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Binoculars Please (1 Viewer)

SallyHennyPenny

Please dont think I am not being lazy, Ive searched for the information I am looking for, but because of certain issues I have, I thought it best to ask my questions pointing out my needs.

I am looking for a new pair of binoculars. I like watching Raptors as well as my own garden birds. I need the most lghtweight I can get, as I cannot hold them up for any length of time. As I live in Lancashire, I am assuming I would need waterproof ones. I Birdwatch purely for pleasure, therefore I cannot justify paying the top end for a pair. However, it is a hobby I really enjoy and would appreciate any advice that you think would be suitable for myself. Thanks you. Sorry, forgot to mention, I only have very small hands

Last edited:
Hi Sally HP

Of those I have personally tried I like the RSPB 8x32HD's, small light and very good optically. You don't mention a budget but hopefully less than £500 is within reach?

As ever you will need to personally try any recommendations - Leighton Moss may be near you if you do want to try them.

Nev

Please dont think I am not being lazy, Ive searched for the information I am looking for, but because of certain issues I have, I thought it best to ask my questions pointing out my needs.

I am looking for a new pair of binoculars. I like watching Raptors as well as my own garden birds. I need the most lghtweight I can get, as I cannot hold them up for any length of time. As I live in Lancashire, I am assuming I would need waterproof ones. I Birdwatch purely for pleasure, therefore I cannot justify paying the top end for a pair. However, it is a hobby I really enjoy and would appreciate any advice that you think would be suitable for myself. Thanks you. Sorry, forgot to mention, I only have very small hands

Hello Sally

Are you suggesting that Lancashire gets a lot of rain, there is a hose pipe ban you know :-O

Seriously you could vist In-Focus at Martin Mere near Southport, they will have a selection for you to try with a budget for everyone, its also worth having a look at the Second-hand market once you have an idea of what you fancy.
Have you tried using a tripod or monopod, for support ?...

If you can get to Martin Mere go to the In-Focus shop where they have an amazing stock of bono's which you can try out and find which suit you the best.
I wouldn't say waterproofing is essential, most bino's will deal with rain. I've had several pairs of bins over the years without having any trouble with them in fact the only waterproof pair I ever owned got moisture inside and used to fog up internally!
Any way good luck with your binocular hunting.

I will take your advice and go to Martin Mere and Leighton Moss. As you say I can then try some out and find the one that suits best. I will also look into tripod/monopods. As always from this site, good advice, and I thank you for that.

I can recommend the Opticron taiga 8x25. My girlfriend also prefers light weight bins and she really likes them. Cheap too, around £60.

Hi Shelagh, this suggestion may seem a little odd, but if you want a wide field of view, in a lightweight, user-friendly binocular, you could get a pair of Nikon EII 8x30 for about 350 sterling, and thereby acquire binos that are among the best optics out there. They aren´t waterproof, but I´ve never had problems with mine in the rain. They are "old-style" porro-prism binoculars, i.e. the objective lenses are wider apart than the ocular or eye-piece lenses. The focussing is beautifully smooth, and they are so small that some people find them too "stubby", so they´d really suit small hands. They are pretty impossible to buy over-the-counter nowadays, but some of the online retailers have them, and this means if you don´t like them you can get a refund if sent back within, I think, seven days. Clifton Cameras still have them, as do Warehouse Express (I think), Microglobe have them on back-order, and there´s a seller from Hong Kong on a famous auction site that regularly has them too. Check the threads, some of the most obsessive bino-aficionados (including yours truly, although I´m just an amateur geek rather than an expert) consider them to be first-class.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back