• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help on Bluebird ID (1 Viewer)

Richard L

Richard L.
Hello from Central Texas, I live right outside San Antonio. This afternoon I was taking a shot of a male cardinal with my camera when I noticed something blue in the background. No Sun out but I could see it was a male bluebird with its mate. The male & female was a little smaller then a house sparrow. I checked my bird book and the bluebird I saw I'm sure was not a Indigo and I'm sure if it's a Mountain bluebird. Mountain bluebirds have some white on the breast and mine did not. The Indigo is I think a lot darker blue so I'm stumped on the ID. It was eating seed from the ground. The male did have some dark streaks on the top wings. Thanks from Richard L.

Attachments

• DSCN9155.JPG
    DSCN9155.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 175
  • blue bird.jpg
    blue bird.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 143
Certainly looks to be an Indigo Bunting. Very nice. Much more brilliant than the ones I am seeing right now.

Thanks on the ID of the bluebird. Thanks again.... Richard L of San Antonio

KCFoggin said:
Certainly looks to be an Indigo Bunting. Very nice. Much more brilliant than the ones I am seeing right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back