• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 30x, 40x or zoom? (1 Viewer)

ajp310

Zeiss 30x, 40x or zoom eyepiece?

I will be getting a Zeiss Diascope 85 T FL soon, and I am still up in the air as to which Zeiss eyepiece is best suited for scoping. It will be for bird photography, just a hobby for me. I read that some people like the Zeiss 20-60 zoom, and some swear by the fixed wide angle. If I choose a fixed eyepiece, would the Zeiss 30x be overall a better choice than the 40x? Many thanks for anyone's input, opinion, advice.

Last edited:
I have the 30xW and 20-60x zoom. I'd choose the zoom as it offers such a very wide field of view. I find I rarely use the 30x for that reason. The zoom gives 50% greater area of view when compared to other zooms (e.g. against the Swaro zoom) but at a slight cost in that the outer edge of the field is less sharp. That's a price I think well worth paying as in practice it's of little or no consequence.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back