• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help - bluebird? (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

ID help - bluebird? Northwestern suburbs, Minneapolis, MN

I found this pair hanging out together. Is the white bird on the right also a bluebird? Seems to have the same shape and a hint of the chest coloring. Are they often this light, or not?

Attachments

• DSC_7274_800s.jpg
    DSC_7274_800s.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Same size, same shape, same habit: also a Western Bluebird. Where did you take the photo?

Crow-Hassan Park Reserve, in the Northwest suburbs of Minneapolis. (Very nice park, BTW) Wouldn't it be an Eastern Bluebird? (sorry for forgetting the location)

Last edited:
Crow-Hassan Park Reserve, in the Northwest suburbs of Minneapolis. (Very nice park, BTW) Wouldn't it be an Eastern Bluebird? (sorry for forgetting the location)

That's correct - it's an Eastern Bluebird.

Hi All,

The lighting in the photo looks somewhat tricky to me. The male is perched on the shaded half of the limb, while the female is mostly in bright sun on the sunny half of the limb. My guess is that the exposure is such that to get a reasonable exposure on the male, the female became rather overexposed.

Chris

It's true that the exposure and glare off the lighter bird results in somewhat less saturated colors, but I don't believe it's too far off. It looked nothing like the color of the birds in my field guides, at least.

Eastern Bluebirds can be quite lightly colored, at least here in Missouri where it is our "state bird" and consequently I see a lots of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back