• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An invasion of siskins (1 Viewer)

I had been ticking over with about 40 until the beginning of this week when there was a sudden jump in numbers to about 80 - presumably birds returning north were attracted by the regular flock. Numbers have then fallen and I`m down to the last 25. I shall miss their noisy presence, though not the need to shovel out the sunflower hearts...

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Most of the siskins have moved on! .....
Thanks Elizabeth. I'm still waiting for the redpolls but this morning I had TWO siskins on the niger feeder which is twice as many as I have ever had before !!

Ever since putting a small nyjer feeder in my garden, Siskins have been very regular visitors and they seem to visit all year round. I don't get a lot, maybe about 10 max. Originally put it up to attract Goldfinches and they do visit occasionally but nothing like as regularly as the Siskins. I also see the odd bullfinch taking an interest sometimes but that is quite rare. The funniest thing was a Collared Dove balancing precariously on the feeder at the weekend having a go too!

I very rarely get pine siskins here. however, I had two here yesterday, but both were adult females. Trying to find a male around... Very few siskins, but more than a dozen purple finches! 5 males, 10 females, from what I've seen.

Haven't had any Siskins in my garden yet but today I saw my first Siskin in about FIVE years!!! Unbelievable I know!!! Saw two, male and female, at Wallington Hall in Northumberland...over the moon with them!

GILL

I have never seen a siskin in my garden, but saw my first ever last Saturday - in the ring-tailed lemur enclosure at Whipsnade! Go figure.

Where can I see Siskins?

Elizabeth Bigg said:
A quick update on the siskins. This morning we counted 44 - about 22 on the ground below the feeders, 10 on the seed tray/squirrel baffle and the rest on the hanging feeders. Not surprisingly, goldfinches are not so much in evidence at the moment - though there were 13 there on Sunday.

44 Siskins! I've never seen one! Let alone in my Garden, I do live in an area where it is very unlikely to see any Siskins, our surrounding nature reserve has three conifers, could anyone give me any information on reserves where I could find some? Thanks!

Hi Jake,
If you can identify an alder tree then you have a great chance in winter as sometimes fairly large flocks come to feed on the cones in a stand of alder trees. I have some reliable sites nearby and this species is such a delight to both watch and particularly hear with their wheezing, straining notes interspersed with sweet trilling. Jake, they don't visit alder trees outside of winter and instead tend to rely on larger stands of conifers in Northern woods and forests. However they would be harder to see at this time of year, owing to the habitat change. Good luck !

AnnieW said:
Thanks Elizabeth. I'm still waiting for the redpolls but this morning I had TWO siskins on the niger feeder which is twice as many as I have ever had before !!

Hi Annie I saw a Redpoll around my area, this one seemed to stick with the Linnets.

Hi Elizabeth, great thread on the Siskin. I've had the odd one or two on the niger seeds this past winter, videoed them. Two days ago I visited Lake Vyrnwy in North Wales and the R.S.P.B. bird hide there had a dozed Siskin feeding on niger seeds, obviously this is their favourite food and must contribute to their increase. I will try to put the picture in the gallery but I think I will have trouble as its not Jpeg.

That's another bit of my morning gone - I just had to go back and read it all again! The last time we had a siskin in the garden (all alone) was between April 4th and 10th, from my BTO record for week 2 of the spring count.

I still have a 12½kg sack of niger seed in the hall, and ½ to ¾ of another sack in the kitchen!!! I can't keep them in the garage, unless I buy a fourth bin, because we have mice in there. With a tripod and camcorder behind me in the study, and a mini video camera on the scope-on-tripod in the sitting room I have a feeling that the birds have taken over the house.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back