• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar Lamping Update. (1 Viewer)

Deseo

Well I have had a response from the National Trust regarding the lamping of Nightjars, and it seems that although every single person I have spoken to is appalled at the behaviour, the NT seem to think that it is acceptible.
Here are some snippets from their reply to me.....

Re the use of powerful torches to view them, I know that the group rarely use them, preferring to view without torches, or to use normal hand torches on clear evenings. I believe that, as with most nights this year, the weather forecast was for poor weather with dull evening skies, so they felt that they would get better results by trying the more powerful torches on this occasion.

The evening was one of the warmest clearest nights of the year with zero cloud cover. (Someone has been telling porkies)

Again I think there is no evidence that this infrequent use has or will cause disturbance of the nightjars at XXXXX.

I wonder how easy it is to fly with a million watt light in your eyes?

I am informed that torching is the standard method used for recording some of the world’s rarest Nightjar species in the Middle East .

Maybe this is for the good of the birds and their continued success rather than simply allowing a bunch of wildlife novices to clock the birds.

We get a number of requests from bird groups to visit the Nightjar sites each year which we usually grant, so to err on the side of caution we can suggest to these groups when they make contact that we don’t encourage the use of powerful torches. This will lessen the potential frequency of this practice and I hope alleviate your concerns

Great, this is a result, although demanding that they don't use them would be better.

I can assure you that those members of the XXXXX Bird Group whom you recognised are conservation minded birdwatchers who would not hold with inappropriate behaviour.

Their behaviour was inappropriate.

Not what I expected but maybe something might nudge the consciences of the people involved.

Why is it that people always try to justify things from their perspective and never the birds? Nightjars have evolved to operate in low light, where shining a bright light at them fits in I can't see. Leave them alone or just put up with having brief views before it gets too dark like the rest of us do

This one amazes me.

Seeing nightjars in dusk light, hearing the churring and wing claps is what it is all about. I have never failed to see nightjars well when I have looked in Norfolk, or, should I say as well as I would expect in their environment and that surely is what it is all about - their environment. I am surprised at the NT response, perhaps they will learn and ask people not to do it in the future. It is also likely that someone from the unnamed group is a member on this forum, hopefully they will have read the threads and it will provoke some discussion within on the rights and wrongs of what they did.

Enjoy them in their own environment.

Tideliner makes very pertinent comments on the other thread, as do other people.

Phil

Again I think there is no evidence that this infrequent use has or will cause disturbance of the nightjars at XXXXX.

Here I must agree that it is true.

Night birds and mammals are usually not bothered by strong light. If they are, they first simply close eyes or look the opposite way. This is rare reaction, most often seen in small carnivores like wildcats, and I never saw it in Nightjars.

Actual flushing the birds was perhaps worse.

Deseo,

I wonder if you could consider putting the name of the department concerned on here? I'd certainly like to register my dissatisfaction about this with NT. There are obviously plenty of examples of affecting behaviour like this by the bad publicity it generates.
If you're not happy to give details on here, could you please pm them to me?

Thanks,

Peter

I thought it might be bad form to put any names on here but if people think it worthwhile and may help to get this thing stopped then I will give the name of the organisation and the location. JSB I will pm you now.

I've just sent an email (below) to the NT. Please feel free to copy it (or whatever) if you feel strongly enough about registering your protest.

Hi,

I'm writing to exprss my concern regarding the practice of "lamping" by the Clumber park bird group.
This concerns the use of a very powerful torch being used to see fairly rare birds called nightjars. The species is nocturnal and, therefore, can be difficult to see.
Most birdwatchers abhor any practice which involves interfering with a bird's natural environment, causing it possible distress. Instead, patience is regarded as being the best method to view these charismatic birds, along with an acceptance that gloomy views are the likely outcome.
Rather than rehearse the arguments which are already widely known, you might like to look at the following.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=232776
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234582

The links I've provided here show fairly significant bad publicity for your organisation on a forum which has a substantial number of members. Bad publicity, of course, isn't really the point: outmoded practices which encourage a general disrespect for, and a dominance of the natural environment by uncaring homo sapiens might be more to the point.
I'm sure there's nothing malicious in what's represented here - but the birdwatching community as a whole would wish to discourage you from repeating this practice.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Deliberately careless, or carelessly deliberate? ;)

It's an organization (ot two), not an individual, so not the same issue as in naming an individual.

At the end of the day, and given the pressure on birds from all quarters, have to agree with the sentiments of not causing extra undue stress to the birds concerned. Also that the experience of seeing them naturally wins every time over being caught in a beam of artificial light. Respect for the wild creatures?

Please feel free to voice your opinion straight to the park. Maybe they will take notice if a few people do so.
JSB... No worries :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back