• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Croatia in August. (1 Viewer)

teamsaint

I'm leaving for a two week holiday to Croatia next weekend. We're spending the first week in the Plitvitce Lakes national park and the second on an island called Mljet. I've read what little information there is in the guide books but other than woodpeckers, owls and birds of prey i would like to know what other birds I might see. Also I should add that the boat trip to Mljet lasts several hours and I'm hoping to see a Cory's Shearwater then.
Tom

Was in Istria this time last year and didn't really try too hard with the birding. Still managed some standard Mediterranean stuff e.g. Woodchat Shrike, Alpine Swift, Sardinian Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler, Cirl Bunting etc. Also a few migrants going through.

teamsaint said:
I'm leaving for a two week holiday to Croatia next weekend. We're spending the first week in the Plitvitce Lakes national park and the second on an island called Mljet. I've read what little information there is in the guide books but other than woodpeckers, owls and birds of prey i would like to know what other birds I might see. Also I should add that the boat trip to Mljet lasts several hours and I'm hoping to see a Cory's Shearwater then.
Tom

There are bears, wolves and otters at Plitvice but the place is cool submontane beech forests so you've listed most of what you might find. Mljet is very far from the mainland and small - so don't expect to get the sort of variety that you might get on, say, Pag or Cres. The Sparrows might be Spanish (they are on some of the other isolated islands such as Unije) and any patch of Giant Reed (Arundo donax) might well hold breeding Olivaceous Warblers. If Mljet has any Eleonoras Falcons this year they will be very active though I don't think they breed on the island itself. The ssual Mediterranean techniques - up before dawn, knock off at 10 and down the beach. Don't forget a mask and snorkel and Mediterranean fauna guide - by the end of the week your fish list will be longer than the bird list I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back