• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Penguins (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

How realistic is it to set yourself a target to see all the world's penguins? I know some of the areas they live in are very remote (I'm thinking Antarctic Peninsula for Emperors for example), and they're widely scattered - New Zealand, South Africa, Galapagos.

An expensive undertaking no doubt, but if done over many years, is it doable? Are there any that are particularly rare or difficult to see?

At the moment, the only penguins I've seen is in a zoo, but would love to see them in their natural environment.

I would say it would be reasonably easy actually if one had a lot of money and a lot of time (although the former may over-ride the necessity of the latter!!). If you can get to the Galapagos then the penguin is easy, to South America the penguins are easy, etc. There are subantarctic cruises from NZ (for example) that go down to the Auckland Islands, Campbell Island, etc etc.

Wouldn't the emperor be the only one that might be tricky (so I've heard)?

I would say it would be reasonably easy actually if one had a lot of money and a lot of time (although the former may over-ride the necessity of the latter!!). If you can get to the Galapagos then the penguin is easy, to South America the penguins are easy, etc. There are subantarctic cruises from NZ (for example) that go down to the Auckland Islands, Campbell Island, etc etc. Wouldn't the emperor be the only one that might be tricky (so I've heard)?

Any penguin-tick timetable (PTT for short) has to take the breeding-seasons into account, otherwise many species will be spending their time pelagically...
MJB

I did a bit of reading up on this and some of them do seem to be quite easy to see, as long as I can find the money to get to them. I've seen wildlife tours that visit Antarctica right in as far as Ross Island and around the Ross Ice Shelf (weather dependent) and this would probably increase the chance of seeing emperors, but as you'd expect, it doesn't come cheap!

For me, picking out the penguins in this fashion was really just a hook around justifying to myself travelling around much of the southern hemisphere! I think South Africa may be first on my list of places to visit, although the Galapagos Islands have been pulling me their way for a long while now!

Difficulty in penguin terms is simply a function of money: if you have the money and the desire, there's no particular challenge. There are expedition cruises that give a ~100% chance of all the remoter species.

Emperor Penguin is very unlikely on a regular Antarctic Peninsula cruise. The least expensive way to be sure of seeing Emperors is to do a cruise to the Weddell Sea. At least one operator is scheduled to operate helicopter trips to the Snow Hill Island rookery this year. I would rate this as the best wildlife experience on the planet, and if you can afford the eye-watering price, I would say it's worth every penny.

I met a lady at a twitch who had either seen all the penguins, or all but Royal (she'd either just seen it, or was just about to go, can't remember!). The feat had coincided with an attempt to see all the Dolphins.

As others have said, if you have the money, you don't need to put much effort in compared to other groups.

I met a lady at a twitch who had either seen all the penguins, or all but Royal (she'd either just seen it, or was just about to go, can't remember!). The feat had coincided with an attempt to see all the Dolphins.

As others have said, if you have the money, you don't need to put much effort in compared to other groups.
was that a happy feat? ;)

For me, picking out the penguins in this fashion was really just a hook around justifying to myself travelling around much of the southern hemisphere! I think South Africa may be first on my list of places to visit, although the Galapagos Islands have been pulling me their way for a long while now!
pick parrots instead. Much more of a challenge, and many more destinations to visit.

pick parrots instead. Much more of a challenge, and many more destinations to visit.

That would be fun too, although I find myself being drawn more to the polar regions. However, after watching a programme last week that featured hummingbirds in Panama, I'm starting to get an urge to visit the tropics as well. Problem is, not enough money, and not enough time!

The trick to getting an Emperor "cheap" might be to ask Alan Henry if there is still a vagrant on the Falkland Islands. Nail that one and the rest should fall into place. As the Falklands also houses Kings, Gentoos, Magellanics, Rockhoppers and a few pairs of Macaronis, a trip there should see one well on the way.

The other one out on an expensive limb is Galapagos, the northernmost penguin in the world.

John

Last edited:
The trick to getting an Emperor "cheap" might be to ask Alan Henry if there is still a vagrant on the Falkland Islands.

I got my emperor on the cheap. About $10 round-trip from my house last year. Of course the only other penguins I've seen are little blue and yellow-eyed so I've still got a way to go yet!

Blimey Chlid - you've seen Emperor but not Fiordland Crested - and you live there?? Even my girlfriend's seen that one! ;)

I know, its pretty poor, but I will be rectifying that in a couple of months. (I only just got blue duck in May!!! I'm trying to get all my missing endemics cleaned up this year actually)

The trick to getting an Emperor "cheap" might be to ask Alan Henry if there is still a vagrant on the Falkland Islands. Nail that one and the rest should fall into place. As the Falklands also houses Kings, Gentoos, Magellanics, Rockhoppers and a few pairs of Macaronis, a trip there should see one well on the way.

The other one out on an expensive limb is Galapagos, the northernmost penguin in the world.

John

I have never seen a Emperor Penguin on the Falkland Islands but live in hope. We have had a vagrant Northern Rockhopper for the last couple of years & Royal Penguin so if you timed it right that would save you visiting Gough & Macquarie Island.

I have done six and a half(Hybrid) species in a day.

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-...01/02/6-and-half-species-of-penguin-in-a-day/

Cheers

Alan
www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/falklandbirder

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back