• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300 f4 lens (1 Viewer)

orviskid

is the 300 f4 lens and my D70 enough for bird photos? is anyone using a blind to take their shots.can a use a tele with the f4 or is it too slow?

It should be perfect. Have you taken bird photos before? Expect to be frustrated 95 per cent of the time but delighted the other 5.
Don't worry about a blind, use your car (for gulls, ducks little birds) or your kitchen window.
And take lots of pictures. You can always delete the ones that you don'y like when you get home. Looking forward to seeing what you get.

You might find you need a bit more reach. I use a Tamron 200-500, and nearly always use it at the 500mm end. However, you would be able to add something like a Kenko pro 1.4x converter with some success (not very effective on the Tamron which is f6.3 at 500mm, but should partner the 300mm f4 quite well)

i have a small bag blind and set up near the feeders with my 200 f2.8 and got this shot. i could use more reach for sure. they don't seem to come in once i set up.
i'd like to get a more natural set up.

Attachments

• titmouse.jpg
    titmouse.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 130
orviskid, its a great lens and used it successfully in my early DSLR days and funnily enough on a D70s, if you look at my gallery some of my earliest shots are with this combo, I did mate it to a Sigma 1.4 which worked a treat and retained AF.
Its a superb lens albeit a tad slow on the AF front so use the limiter wisely. Ironically I always considered it better optically and a much better build quality than my newer AF-S version, shame Nikon didn't use the older lens as a base of for the newer one.
All the best

As others have indicated, this is a terrific lens and for some subjects it will be fine. There are, in fact, some excellent photographers (including here in BF) who through patience and stealth have obtained fabulous closeups using only a 300mm. But I share rezMole's view that you would do well to invest in a top-notch 1.4x telextender to give you some very helpful extra reach. The Kenko Teleplus Pro is an excellent optic and quite affordable.

300 f4

I too have a Tamron 200-500 which stays on my camrea about 85% of the time and at 500 mm most of that time. Most of the remainder time is the 70-300 Nikon VR II, both good lens with enough light. The Nikon 300 f4 and either a 1.4 or 1.7 TC. Both on this site and on dpreview I have seen some very sharp and detailed photos with the 300 f4. With the 1.5 crop factor on the D 50 and the 1.4 TC will give me close to the Tammy and the 1.7 will give more reach, although lose of light might be a a problem. I understand the new AFS 300 f4 is quite fast to focus making it great for BIF. I think Nikon is coming out with 3 new primes 400, 500, 600 all with VR. Don't know the prices yet but this could be worth waiting for.

i have a small bag blind and set up near the feeders with my 200 f2.8 and got this shot. i could use more reach for sure. they don't seem to come in once i set up.
i'd like to get a more natural set up.

Orviskid
What is a 'bag blind' ? I am thinking of a quick/easy hide to use near the garden feeders. Photo would be appreciated.

i use the bag over a frame, sort of like a slide projector frame/stand, they have real long legs. i made the frame myself and the camo blind slides over it. right now i sit on the benches we have in the yard and throw the blind over without the frame. mine is very roomy, no problem moving around in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back