• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500 Does this photo look right? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi All,

Does the following photo of a goldfinch toy look what to expect at the following settings? Is the noise to be expected at ISO 800?

I'm shooting with a Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM and Canon EOS 40D.

ISO 800, Shutter Speed 1/1000 s, Aperture F8, Metering mode Pattern, Focal length 413 mm
Using a tripod and shutter release cable.

Thanks!

Dana

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 232
Two questions:
1. Is it 100% crop?
2. Is it an unprocessed jpeg from the camera (in which case: what were the in-camera settings?), or a converted RAW (in which case: what were the settings?)?

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Yes it's a 100% Crop.
The file was RAW. It was taken into lightroom, cropped with no other adjustments and exported to JPG. Quality was 100%, Color Space was sRGB.

I think the noise on the toy bird could be from the smooth plastic. I'm guessing feathers would show less noise.

I've been waiting for the squirrels and blue jays to show up for their bribe of peanuts :) but I haven't been too patient. They always come early in the morning when it's been too dark for my lens. The squirrels may come out good in this light.

Thanks,

Dana

Well,

It appears to be a little more noisy than what I would have expected from my 40D @ ISO 800. But it's hard to judge for sure on my laptop, and the shadows will have an effect too. It's not as sharp as my 100-400L IS @ f8, but I think that's to be expected. Overall I don't think it looks too bad.

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back