• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 8x33 (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

Is it Kowa's lack of advertising or what? These look like they should be a major player in the upper end? Can't find any thing about them, the little that is out there is for the larger models! I'm very interested in these but, no place around here carries them!!! Has anybody seen these first hand? If so it would be nice to here some comments? Unless you don't want anyone to know about a hidden GEM! Lol!!! Bryce.

I really like them. Maybe the most "wow" image I have ever seen. However some people don´t like the "rolling ball" effect they have. And the focuser isn´t really as smooth as on the FL or EL. (I am optics-anal birder, hi brocknroller ;) ) I just bought a pair of 8x32 Zeiss FL instead of the Kowa 8x33 since smooth focuser and perfect ergonomics matter so much for me. But it is a good buy, if the rolling ball does´t bother you. Try it first.

Yes. I have spent a few hours total looking through them. They have none of the faults of their larger brothers. I like them better than the Zeiss Victory FL and the old Swaro EL. Images have more "pop" and color saturation than the Victory. Nice wide field too with curvature being the main aberation at the edge. I have never seen the "rolling ball" effect in these either. But perhaps I am not sensitive to it as I have only felt it in the new Swarovision EL.

Still, except for the much larger sweet spot, the images are not so much better than Kowa BD 8x32 that I have now that I would be willing to pay $1000 for them. Then again, I have a warped sense of value because the only small binoculars I think that are worth more than $500 are the Nikon 18x70 and the Canon 15/18x50 IS!

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Yes. I have spent a few hours total looking through them... Still, except for the much larger sweet spot, the images are not so much better than Kowa BD 8x32 that I have now that I would be willing to pay $1000 for them.

cheers,
Rick

I can not see a large sweet spot at the Kowa Genesis 8x33.

I already have a Swaro EL 8,5x42 (bought in 2009), and now bought an Kowa Genesis 8x33 for my wife. I am unimpressed with the optical quality of the Kowa. The mechanical quality is very good, just in negligible details behind the Swaro.

The first Kowa i received was noticable decentered, for trained watchers viewable less sharpness in areas on the left half of the picture. My dealer sent me a second one. Theese one is still decentered, but ist is just a slight effect and you must hard look to see it. Anyway, i do not know that of my EL.

The contrast ist sligthly worse than of the EL 8,5x42. That surprised me. Marginal less contrast causes less colour aberration. The Kowa is noticable better in colour aberration.

Resolution in the center is no difference between the Kowa and the Swaro.

The resolution (sharpness) at image borders, not just the edges, at both Kowa Genesis 8x33 begin remarkable earlier decreasing than of the EL 8,5x42. Resolution start decreasing just out of the picture center! Kowas lack of sharpness in image borders is heavy, also considered without comparison to the Swaro 8,5x42. I can not accept that in this price class. I is unbelieveable for me that other Glasses like Zeiss Victory 8x32, Swaro EL 8x32, Leica Ultravis HD 8x32 should playing on the same low level as the Kowa Genesis 8x33 here.

Regards Marsu

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not see a large sweet spot at the Kowa Genesis 8x33.

I already have a Swaro EL 8,5x42 (bought in 2009), and now bought an Kowa Genesis 8x33 for my wife. I am unimpressed with the optical quality of the Kowa. The mechanical quality is very good, just in negligible details behind the Swaro.

The first Kowa i received was noticable decentered, for trained watchers viewable less sharpness in areas on the left half of the picture. My dealer sent me a second one. Theese one is still decentered, but ist is just a slight effect and you must hard look to see it. Anyway, i do not know that of my EL.

The contrast ist sligthly worse than of the EL 8,5x42. That surprised me. Marginal less contrast causes less colour aberration. The Kowa is noticable better in colour aberration.

Resolution in the center is no difference between the Kowa and the Swaro.

The resolution (sharpness) at image borders, not just the edges, at both Kowa Genesis 8x33 begin remarkable earlier decreasing than of the EL 8,5x42. Resolution start decreasing just out of the picture center! Kowas lack of sharpness in image borders is heavy, also considered without comparison to the Swaro 8,5x42. I can not accept that in this price class. I is unbelieveable for me that other Glasses like Zeiss Victory 8x32, Swaro EL 8x32, Leica Ultravis HD 8x32 should playing on the same low level as the Kowa Genesis 8x33 here.

Regards Marsu

Marsu:

It seems you may be seeing some of the difference in comparing one of the best
42mm optics that are available, in the Swaro. 8.5x42 to a 32mm. For most, any
32mm will not measure up to the 42, in the nicer easier view, and in many ways. I have no experience with the Kowa, but do have with the Swaro. and
they are one fine optic. The only advantages with 32mm, compared with 42mm have to do with maybe a wider field of view and lighter weight. Otherwise, the
42mm in any of the top brands will excell in brightness, and all around just better performance. ;)

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

recently i looked through a Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL. There are no big optical differences between the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and the Zeiss Victory 8x32FL. Sweet spot of the Zeiss is as poor as at the Kowa compared to my EL 8,5x42. It seems that sweet spot at the 32 class is just less than it is at 42 optics.

Marsupilami

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back