• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help please - new garden resident (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Hi. This beautiful bird has taken up residence in our garden in UK. Assume escaped parrot but unsure of ID - can you help? Thanks

Attachments

• Parrot.jpg
    Parrot.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 172
Yes - definitely a Crimson Rosella. And definitely an escapee - unless they've managed to go feral in the UK!

Beautiful birds - I think we tend to under-appreciate them a bit here because we see them so often. Its only since I moved to Perth (where they don't occur) from Canberra (where they are very common) that I realised how much I took their presence for granted.

It's clearly an escapee (Crimson Rosella) and will probably struggle to find the right food in the wild as well as sticking out like a sore thumb to any passing Sparrowhawk. If it were in my garden I think I'd be trying to capture it some how....not sure how though but I'd have to try to help it survive.They eat seed mix (millet the fav.) and also like green foods so putting out a little lettuce etc might help. Good luck to it.

Thanks for comments. Is feeding well from our feeders which now has a Parrot section. Catching it will be a challenge but appreciate outlook not great.

Attachments

• rosella2.jpg
    rosella2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for comments. Is feeding well from our feeders which now has a Parrot section. Catching it will be a challenge but appreciate outlook not great.

Crimson Rosella Platycercus elegans, natural distribution SW Australia. A common cage-bird wherever people like keeping birds in cages. Presumably someone has lost it. It's usual habitat is wet eucalyptus forest, but it has adapted to open farmland near forested areas.
MJB
PS
Oops! This thread didn't update properly when I went to it, and so sorry for the duplication of info!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back