• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Inversion Tested Fog Proof Fully Coated (1 Viewer)

skipping

STORM KING MARK II - 7 X, 50 - 383ft at 1000yds. - Model NO 717A -No 1-824234.

Greetings from Florida in the USA. This described Binoculars were given to me by a friend. I can't seem to find any information on them. I would greatly appreciate any information you are able to provide.

Thank you for your consideration and Happy Bird Watching.

Kind regards,

Lauren

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I'm going to move your thread to the binocular section as you are likely to get more answers there. I'll subscribe you to the thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

STORM KING MARK II - 7 X, 50 - 383ft at 1000yds. - Model NO 717A -No 1-824234.

Greetings from Florida in the USA. This described Binoculars were given to me by a friend. I can't seem to find any information on them. I would greatly appreciate any information you are able to provide.

Thank you for your consideration and Happy Bird Watching.

Kind regards,

Lauren

Hi Skipping,

Model 717A is the armored version of Model 717, which has the same optics. The first two digits of the serial number are 82, indicating that the year of manufacture was 1982.

My 1980 catalog shows a suggested retail price of $380.00, making it the most expensive of the Mark-II binoculars, including the 804 Audubon that only sold for $240. The reasons for the high price are the waterproofing, individual eyepiece focus, product testing, and the rubber armoring.

A field of view of 383' would give it a fairly narrow apparent field of 52.2 deg., but 'ya can't have everything. It was probably used for boating; perfect for a skipper while skipping.

Again, welcome to BirdForum.
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back