• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antpittas (1 Viewer)

Yes Bill Clark's book is currently in production. Of the others you mention, shrikes (second edition) by Norbert Lefranc and Tim Worfolk is currently being written/painted.

Would love to see a monograph or ID guide on the tyrant flycatchers of the New World!

Google Books is reporting a release date of Nov 22, 2017, on the Restall & Freile guide to Ecuador. Any hope that's true? (https://books.google.com/books/about/Birds_of_Ecuador.html?id=Obv1oAEACAAJ&hl=en )

Gary H

SORRY - got the date wrong last night. Birds of Ecuador is actually publishing on 8th March.

Jim: Thanks for the update! Am guessing it will bear some resemblance to the Helm Field Guide covering Venezuela (2017), given Restall's involvement.

Gary H

The new Ecuador guide will be of course nice to have but I have to admit I'm very disappointed it will be using the art from Birds of Northern SA... I feel the new Venezuela guide is hampered by the artwork. It's nice to have updated taxonomy and range maps but beyond that the Venezuela guide is too big to carry in the field and almost all species are better illustrated elsewhere.

Just my opinion of course and I do apologize for carping on a guidebook, and I realize the amount of work it is to produce one.

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm very disappointed it will be using the art from Birds of Northern SA... I feel the new Venezuela guide is hampered by the artwork. It's nice to have updated taxonomy and range maps but beyond that the Venezuela guide is too big to carry in the field and almost all species are better illustrated elsewhere.

Personally, I like the Venezuela guide. It's considerably more compact than Hilty's volume (in which species accounts are in most instances significantly more detailed). You're probably right about better illustrations for many of the species, but I think they're more than adequate for the presumably intended application (reference in the field). It's just a shame that for all intents and purposes travel safety is now such an overriding consideration.

Gary H

I'm curious whether Jhonathan Miranda's photo of the Tachira antpitta will include in this book as it is still the only photograph of this species.

I'm curious whether Jhonathan Miranda's photo of the Tachira antpitta will include in this book as it is still the only photograph of this species.

Is there a type specimen?

If there is, I don't see why an illustrative guide would include a photo, most illustrations are done from skins AFAIK?

A

Is there a type specimen?

If there is, I don't see why an illustrative guide would include a photo, most illustrations are done from skins AFAIK?

A

Judging from the sample pages there are also photos of the species (but I don't know the number of species that have a photo.).

https://www.nhbs.com/antpittas-and-gnateaters-book

And Jhonathan Miranda took the first ever photo of a living Tachira Antpitta in 2016

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/lost-...antpitta-is-rediscovered-in-venezuelan-andes/

Last edited:
Judging from the sample pages there are also photos of the species (but I don't know the number of species that have a photo.).

https://www.nhbs.com/antpittas-and-gnateaters-book

And Jhonathan Miranda took the first ever photo of a living Tachira Antpitta in 2016

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/lost-...antpitta-is-rediscovered-in-venezuelan-andes/

OK, wasn't aware of that, in which case it would make sense to include 'the only' picture of the species as long as it's identifiable which it seems to be.

A

Last edited:
My copy arrived today and I can confirm that Miranda's photo of the Tachira Antpitta is in the book (page 203). I have been looking forward to this book ever since I first heard of it and I find it to be thoroughly excellent, a definite must for anyone interested in these birds and to me a strong contender for "book of the year".

Last edited:
My copy arrived today and I can confirm that Miranda's photo of the Tachira Antpitta is in the book (page 203). I have been looking forward to this book ever since I first heard of it and I find it to be thoroughly excellent, a definite must for anyone interested in these birds and to me a strong contender for "book of the year".

Thank you very much for your helpful comment. Do all species have photographes? Or are there species that have been never photographed?

I believe there is photographs of all species apart from two (Grallaria eludens and Grallaria griseonucha) which are represented by museum specimens.

I have this book since today. The photographic material is really awesome, especially on the nests, the eggs, and the juveniles which are rarely seen in other books.

Would be great to read a comprehensive review on the book. But it seems that no one had found the time to write one.

Would be great to read a comprehensive review on the book. But it seems that no one had found the time to write one.

So here's your chance.

Still not got mine, more excuses about damaged stock having to be returned, my book supplier must be the unluckiest retailer in Europe.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back