• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calling all bat lovers (1 Viewer)

mrs fish

I don't know how many of you have heard of the "pond bat" ? It lives where a giant indoor snow complex is going to be built, it is not just these bats , there are caves on the land where bats from miles around hibernate.

Please take a look at this.... www.SnoasisConcern.com

mrs fish said:
I don't know how many of you have heard of the "pond bat" ? It lives where a giant indoor snow complex is going to be built, it is not just these bats , there are caves on the land where bats from miles around hibernate.

Please take a look at this.... www.SnoasisConcern.com

I had a look, and then googled Pond Bat. In Britain it is described as a very rare vagrant (Warks Bat Group website: The Mammal Society UK Mammal list is incomplete to the tune of half a dozen recent vagrant bat species. I recommend the Warks site as a read, the details of bat vagrancy will shoot your eyebrows up.)

In all probability Pond Bat if it has been authoritatively recorded on site at all, was only found as a vagrant - which despite indicating rarity does not arouse the same level of conservation concern as a breeding resident and quite right too.

The newts are a much more important concern.

John

John Dixon said:
I had a look, and then googled Pond Bat. In Britain it is described as a very rare vagrant (Warks Bat Group website: The Mammal Society UK Mammal list is incomplete to the tune of half a dozen recent vagrant bat species. I recommend the Warks site as a read, the details of bat vagrancy will shoot your eyebrows up.)

In all probability Pond Bat if it has been authoritatively recorded on site at all, was only found as a vagrant - which despite indicating rarity does not arouse the same level of conservation concern as a breeding resident and quite right too.

The newts are a much more important concern.

John

There is supposed to be a small colony of Pond bats in East Anglia (I don't know the site) they are recent colonist and may account for some of the sightings in the area.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back