• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (24 Viewers)

water levels

over the weekend the water levels have risen dramatically. The Moors level by 10 cm , where also the seasonal pool in Amy's Marsh is now full. The banks of the salwarp had probably been breached, but I hadn'd heard any reports of it. The sluice is now fully open and I will adjust it accordingly on Friday. The level is 0.85.
At the Flashes the water has risen by 3 or 4 cm. However this is a positive as the water level was below the norm. The level is now 0.44.

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
LRP (2) + 2 chicks-------------------------Oystercatcher (2) + 1 chick
Avocet (28) + 22 young-------------------Lapwing (9)
Teal (8)------------------------------------Shoveler (pr)
Tufted Duck brood of 6--------------------Shelduck (4 ) + 7 young-one missing.
Gadwall (4)--------------------------------Rook (11)
Cormorant (2 over)

MOORS/N MOORS*
Shelduck (2)-------------------------------Oystercatcher (2) + 1 chick on Broadmeadow
Lapwing (2) no sign of chick---------------Common Tern (7) sitting as yesterday
Little Grebe (6) + chick--------------------G C Grebe (3) + chick
Shoveler (m) + 2m*-----------------------Cormorant (1)
Cetti's Warbler (3)

ED RES/SAILING POOL;
Cetti's Warbler

Des.

Could whoever cleared the vegetation in front of the concrete hide refrain from doing so...There are wardens and work party vols to do this work, when the time is right. If everyone did what they wanted when they wanted., then we would have mayhem...If on the other hand you feel that we are not managing the reserve correctly, then by all means contact the Trust and maybe you can take over.B :)john

Last edited:
Could whoever cleared the vegetation in front of the concrete hide refrain from doing so...There are wardens and work party vols to do this work, when the time is right. If everyone did what they wanted when they wanted., then we would have mayhem...If on the overhand you feel that we are not managing the reserve correctly, then by all means contact the Trust and maybe you can take over.B :)john

Irresponsible, self-centered tossers. :C

Visited the Flashes today and despite scouring the area with my bins there was no sign of the LRP chicks.
I was also looking hard for lapwings, managing to spot just five adults in front of the sewage farm.
There was a buzzard that took off several times from the oak tree on the far side, a rather ominous sight.
The shelduck young were obscured from view so I couldn't count them, but there were signs of fluff below the adults. The avocets are continuing to do well.
Other species seen today included teal.
Chiffchaffs were still calling too.
The car park was busy in the afternoon due to Aztec activity, but I was able to park and noticed that the overflow car park was in use by just before 5pm.

5.00 to 8.00pm . red kite over lifestyles then drifted N Moors and on towards motorway,cetti's singing well by car park. Flashes ,avocets seemed to be everywhere,tufted duck and young over on the far pool,the youngsters diving exactly like the mother. Lr plover sitting tight with the other standing guard outside the mesh,7.30pm . i was there for 1/2 hour so she is sitting on something .

Today on the reserve.
Moors: GCG 2 + well grown chick. Little grebe 5 No chick seen. Mute swan pr + 2 ch, Gadwall 6 ads + 5 ch, shoveler 2 males, shelduck 2. Tufted 50+, Lapwing chick present but not seen, due to adults chasing crows. Oystercatcher 4 ads the large chick and at least one of the young brood out of sight. Common Tern 10 broods of 3 on main raft and at least 2 on small raft. LBBG 12, BHG 50, colony now almost broken up. buzzard 4, collared dove 2, swift 45, sand martin 2,
Singing birds
cettis w 3 (1 NM), reed warbler 12 - 15 around main pool. sedge warbler only 4 poss 5, blackcap 2, chiffchaff 3. song thrush 2, greenfinch 2, bullfinch, goldfinch 3, chaffinch 1, reed bunting 13 - 15.

The FLASHES:
Welcome to the 'killing fields'. I have given BHG's the benefit of the doubt in the past. But today, I have to concede that they aren't very nice at all. I watched a young BHG chick stray from its nest, suddenly all hell let loose. One after another adults set about it, picking it up and dropping it in the water. There after a relentless sortie of 'stuka' attacks on the chick rendering it lifeless. In an ironic twist an adult avocet briefly stepped in to protect the chick by standing over it and stabbing at the attackers. But it was merely feigning death and stealthily it swam to the shore, only to be attacked by larger chicks. The attacks only stopped when it froze, eventually 10 minutes later it crawled under a 1st summer bird, which was almost certainly its parent. After this a group attack by BHG on the nearby moorhens, where a small chick was snatched and quickly despatched. There is now no doubt that both lapwing and LRP chicks met the same fate. Ironically the BHG chicks at the Moors have almost been wiped out, by LBBG and Herring gulls.

There was a bit of migration today, involving the post breeding dispersing lapwings. There was a single juvenile amongst them, but I could not say definitively it was one of ours, although I think only a buzzard would have taken the large chicks from last week. Surprisingly one of the shelduck chicks had been lost (per Des J on 17th June), but today I noticed one was feeding alone well away from its parents and siblings. So it would be susceptible to fox attack around the periphery of the 1st Flash.

Species Counts Flashes:
Teal 5, shoveler male, shelduck 4 + 7 chicks, tufted 12 + 5 chicks, Lapwing 48 + 1 fledged juv, Avocet 55 (including 22 juvs all flying), LRP 4, Oystercatcher 2 + chick in meadow. curlew 4 . MED GULL 1st summer, BHG c500 + 220-250 chicks/juvs. Herring gull 2 overhead - still being attacked by avocet, stock dove 8, plenty of reed warbler activity. But no whitethroat's on either side of the reserve.

Hi all, me and the wife might pop over tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. Not sure if it gets very busy, do you think I'll be able to park ok at flashes/moors?

thanks

Dave

Hi all, me and the wife might pop over tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. Not sure if it gets very busy, do you think I'll be able to park ok at flashes/moors?

thanks

Dave

should be ok at both. although car park at sailing will be full till 9 Saturday swimming group. suggest go to Moors East hide first. Then flashes after. owing to light conditions. . presumably you are Warwickshire trust members. If you need a permit. go to sailing centre. have a good day.
B :) john

hybrid MED x BHG

Saw this bird today initially thought it was a Med, didn't have scope, so took loads of pics
looked closer at pics I think its a hybrid

Main features:
black hood extended down back of head.
Split white orbital
dark legs - although not too long.

inconsistencies with Med:
A 1st summer Med wouldn't have a complete black hood in its 1st year (apart from white forehead), 1st summer BHG's do
the bill was thin with no pronounced gonys angle.

never seen a hybrid Med x BHG in this plumage.

Attachments

• 1 forum ST SUM MED DSCF8113.jpg
    1 forum ST SUM MED DSCF8113.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 1 forumST SUM mED DSCF8136.jpg
    1 forumST SUM mED DSCF8136.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 1. forum MED 1ST SUM DSCF8082.jpg
    1. forum MED 1ST SUM DSCF8082.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 127
Got myself a MEGA yesterday as I connected with a certain Biking Birder (home for Father's Day) who was out for tea with his son.
Great to catch up GP!

Species Counts Flashes:
Teal 5, shoveler male, shelduck 4 + 7 chicks, tufted 12 + 5 chicks, Lapwing 48 + 1 fledged juv, Avocet 55 (including 22 juvs all flying), LRP 4, Oystercatcher 2 + chick in meadow. curlew 4 . MED GULL 1st summer, BHG c500 + 220-250 chicks/juvs. Herring gull 2 overhead - still being attacked by avocet, stock dove 8, plenty of reed warbler activity. But no whitethroat's on either side of the reserve.

By a process of elimination does that mean there were 33 adult Avocets? Numbers gave varied across the spring from 28 to a max of 34.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back