• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I broke my SF so you don't have to... (1 Viewer)

Everybody seems to have forgotten that the 8x42SF is supposed to have replaced the discontinued 7x42 Victory FL which had a 450'@1000yards FOV.

The new 8x42 SF includes a FOV of 444'@1000 yards and a Flat Field which the 7x42 Victory FL did not have,

Compared with the 8.5x42 SV the 8x42 SL has a much wider FOV than the SV along with a Flat Field like the SV has.

Bob

The reason why I chose the 8x42 SF over the 8.5x 42 SV was the bigger FOV and lighter weight. The 8x42 just felt heavy in my hands and the FOV was too narrow compared to the 8x42 Nikon Monarch 7 I was upgrading from.

I also wanted something not all birders carry, as up here, most serious birders/ornithologists seem to carry the 8.5x42 SV. ;)

I think I understand. The Mavens are probably out of the question for you but if you had some ham you could make a ham sandwich if you had some bread!

Bob

Indeed, I would! The low salt ham spoiled today, and the seeded rye bread turned moldy. This chronic high humidity and rain is the Mr. Pitts. The next local who says, "We need the rain" is going to get a swift kick in the can.

No time for posts, gotta make some "bread."

Brokenroller

Last edited:
All those old binoculars were sharp on-axis. The major advancements in binoculars in the last 20 years has been flat fields and edge sharpness. It is easy to make make a binocular with a 50% sharp field. The Nikon Action is sharp on-axis and you can buy one for $70.

Wow i was expecting more flak than that.sorry to other readers of this, iv'e just read some of this chappies other posts and i get it now ,his whole raison d'etre is this site and his own self importance and opinions.No more converse will take place with him.Sorry i fell for it.The problem with closed minded people their mouths are always open.Enjoy your binoculars guys weather there a tasco or a zeiss.They are all a wonderful gift.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back