• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new and needing advice (1 Viewer)

alma

i am 43 and was wondering if it is to late to get into birdwatching.also whats the best way to start identifying birds.

Welcome, and it's never too late! I was always interested in birds, but began birding in earnest about age 40. First you should get a good guide book and some binoculars if you don't already have a pair, and look for guided walks in your area. Here in the US the local Audubon chapters conduct walks that are great for getting started. Of course the Forum is a great way to get started, too.

i am 43 and was wondering if it is to late to get into birdwatching.also whats the best way to start identifying birds.

WELCOME ALMA!

You are NEVER too old to learn! I am a little older than your good self and only got into brdwatching a few years ago. I have enjoyed every moment of it, including the days that I have missed the 'target' bird, and have made lots of new freinds.
I would suggest that in the first instance you find out where 'birders' congregate in your area and go and join in. By far, the greater number of birders are more than happy to pass on information and to share their skills. You have also made a good start by joining in here. There are many very knowledgeable people that use this forum, again only to pleased to offer advice.
A good field guide is a must, I would personally recommend the 'Collins' guide; a new version is to released soon so I understand so it might be advisable to hang on for a bit!
Binoculars are a must and you may want to get a telescope a little later on. As with all things the more expensive usually seem to be the best; pay what you can afford! There are forums on here that deal specifically with different optics that you might like to browse for ideas.
I am sure that you will receive a lot more advice here, remember if they do not agree with me it does make them bad people!
I hope that you do take up 'birding'; you will make freinds, probably learn something new every time that you go out and will get lots of fresh air and exercise.
The down points? I'll leave that to the more experienced!;)

Good luck:t:
Reg

Last edited:
Hi Alma and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

No, it's never too late... I'm er... umm:gh: and I only started about 15 years ago.

I bet you can already identify a lot of the commoner birds already but you will be on a steep learning curve:-O

As jacquot said, try and find a local group, such as the RSPB over here - they're usually full of very helpful folks, as is this Forum.

D

I've only been on the forum a few minutes longer than you alma, but welcome anyway!

I reckon to be asking the questions you already find birds attractive and fascinating?!

You don't need a lot to start. I'd say firstly, get a good pair of binoculars and take them everywhere with you; and secondly, get a good field guide and start making a list of the birds you see from your home/garden. (The Collins Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe is excellent.)

Another recommendation: get a hold of Simon Barnes book How to be a Bad Birdwatcher. Aside from being really funny, it will show you how much you already know and many give you the confidence to build on that knowledge.

Hello and welcome.
I started a year ago at the age of 60 and age is no problem.
Get yoursely one or two bird books and go out and start. I found that a camera helps. My new digital camera has taken 135000 pictures this year (not all birds). I find I can identify better from photos, especially with a good zoom.
If you go to any well known bird site (e.g. WWT or RSPB sites) you will find other birders, most of whom are happy to help a newcomer. Before you know it you will find yourself an expert, at least for some types of birds, and you will be offering your advice to others.
Also, make use of Bird Forum and, if you can, join a local bird group.
Good hunting.
Alan

Hi, Alma. Just to add my voice to the middle-aged-onset-birdwatchers (;)). I started 2 years ago when I was 42. I do think it's harder than starting young because my memory is no longer that good and it takes me a long time to learn anything. But there are more than enough benefits to outweigh this disadvantage.

Good binoculars and a field guide are an essential as everyone has already said. I found that to begin with the photographic guides like the big RSPB one were the easiest for me to use and then once I had got the hang of the basic birds I graduated to using the Collins which seems to be the bible. And joining a local bird group is a great way to meet people and learn quickly - I hope there is one in your area.

Enjoy birding.
Helen

welcome alma, we are close in age to each other, I carry a garden bird guide & because of where we are a coastal bird guide. I have cheepish (but they do the job) binoculars & have just bought a used scope from LCE. If you meet other birders out & about, most will be happy to point out what is about & help with id. Like others I try & get a photo of any birds I am not sure of, then work it out at home.. as a newby as well I love getting out & still enjoy seeing all birds, I hope that you enjoy your new hobby...

Hi, I was in the same age and position as yourself and would recomend on of the Wildlife trust courses for new birdwatchers I found the course invaluable. It allowed me to look at different guides and gave me a basic understanding of Binos and scopes.
Good luck Den

Welcome alma and of course you are not too old as I'm sure you know! You have made an excellent start by joining BF. Take advice as given, buy a Collins guide, and go and see what you can find. If you go where there are other birder watchers you will nearly always find them inclined to help those that are new to the hobby.
Looking on the gallery is good for helping with IDs too.
I have met lots of lovely people in the flesh and online and am not afraid to admit to what I don't know (in my case that far out weighs what I do know). ENjoy birding you will soon be addicted!

A good field guide is a must, I would personally recommend the 'Collins' guide; a new version is to released soon so I understand so it might be advisable to hang on for a bit!
Binoculars are a must and you may want to get a telescope a little later on. As with all things the more expensive usually seem to be the best; pay what you can afford! There are forums on here that deal specifically with different optics that you might like to browse for ideas.

Wetlands Wedge is totally correct in the above in my opinion especially about the collins field guide. try this link although as wetlands states- a new one is coming out in march which i didnt realise when i proudly bought one for my father for christmas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bir...d_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198789597&sr=8-8

also try this link on where to birdwatch in your local area

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Watch...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198789950&sr=1-2

ps. your never too old, welcome to a great hobby that gets people away from the telly...

Hi Alma

You and I are of a similar age (i'm 41 in jan) I only started two years ago, the best advice i can give is buy a good guide the collins is probably the best on the market.
Check out the local patch forum on this site I have not checked but I bet there is one for your area. And lastley get out there it is wonderful time of year.

Good Birding
Stu

thanks for all your kind replies will be doing my first day birdwatching tomorrow.wish me luck.
will let you all know how it goes

I am sure that you will receive a lot more advice here, remember if they do not agree with me it does make them bad people!

Sorry folks! This should, of course, have said ..." does NOT make them bad people"!
|:$|

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back