• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand Sketchbook (1 Viewer)

RussB

Going for Gold
As promised, guys, more stuff from the Land Of Smiles. Sketching opportunities were fairly limited, especially in the forests of the south, so it was a case of grabbing the moment.
Three target waders from Pak Thale or Wader Heaven: Nordmann's Greenshank, White-faced Plover and Great Knot

Nordmann's - superb beasts; not in the same ball park as common greenshank ID-wise. Look for giant Terek Sands with long legs and a streighter bills.
White-faced Plover - this 'Billy no mates' bird was is a real corker, and very interesting too; heavy billed, broad and very white-faced. A 'daddy' among its kentish and malaysian cousins.
Great Knot - seen 'em in breeding garb but wanted 'em close up in winter plumage to appreciate there super shape and subtle beauty. Proportionately the world's best. 100's to boot, too.

More to come

Russ

Attachments

• Nordmanns Grnshnk.jpg
    Nordmanns Grnshnk.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 73
  • White-faced plover.jpg
    White-faced plover.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Great Knot.jpg
    Great Knot.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 72
Hi Russ

Glad you got your self organised and made it out there...I...obviously...didn't...may live to regret that re. Spooners...let's see what develops...!

Good stuff with the sketching too...

cheers
Mark

Pittas and Blyth's Hawk Eagle

Three memorable birds from the forests of KNC in Krabi: Gurney's Pitta, Banded Pitta and Blyth's Hawk Eagle.

Gurney's pitta - sketched from a hide using bins; not ideal but just about possible. Simply stunning, and very rare to boot. Just 17 pairs in Thailand but many more over the border in Myanmar. Trouble is, a trip here and you just might want to be calling John Rambo to come and get you out!

Banded Pitta - top contender for title of 'World's best looking bird'. An amazing blend of white, black, blue, red and yellow, and all in the right places. Alas, pencil doesn't do 'em justice. Again, from a hide with bins.

Blyth's Hawk Eagle - this beastie was watched perched up from some distance. It was rated as XXXXXXX magnificient by Bri from Bristol. I had to agree. Pleased with the head sketches, which might show up horrible and grainy here, as I've really struggled with these before - they end up looking like Orville!

Thanks

Russ

Attachments

• Gurney's Pitta KNC.jpg
    Gurney's Pitta KNC.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Banded Pitta KNC.jpg
    Banded Pitta KNC.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Blyth's Hawk Eagle KNC.jpg
    Blyth's Hawk Eagle KNC.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 66
Love the observation in the Gurney's pitta - is that the light being reflected from the retina, Russ? Another sumptuous spread mate.

Gurney's Pitta

No Tim,
I left the eye out as I couldn't remember how the light was reflected. Thought I'd leave it as I drew it. If I was going to work it up into an illustration I'd have to guess, or elaborate. Nothing wrong in that, but I'm trying to stick to the adage of 'draw what you see'. I think I did guess about the reflection with the Banded sketches; seeemed a shame not to!

Cheers

Russ

drooling over these and getting wanderlust.

Agreed Nick. Could just sit sweating it out in the rainforest for a month of two sketching Pitta's for weeks. And the rest. Think a trip to Asia is in order next winter,
Wonderful set of sketches. Its minus 16 degrees here in Sweden. Please don't post any more!;)

We have lots of swallows buzzing frantically around our roof and caterpillars nesting, So spring is here( well sort of here at least).;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back