• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss 56mm Conquest HD's (1 Viewer)

Makes me wonder if there will be a 56mm HT line. If Zeiss can produce a great bino.[no promises but the smaller Conquests makes it plausible] for $900.00 less than the Swaro., do they need to compete directly by way of another $2500.00 model?

If Zeiss can make a 52mm that has most of the performance of the Swaro., likely sacrificing a field flattener, I suspect it would be an instant winner.

I think it could be a market changer if they do.

Makes me wonder if there will be a 56mm HT line. If Zeiss can produce a great bino.[no promises but the smaller Conquests makes it plausible] for $900.00 less than the Swaro., do they need to compete directly by way of another $2500.00 model?

If Zeiss can make a 52mm that has most of the performance of the Swaro., likely sacrificing a field flattener, I suspect it would be an instant winner.

James:

You may have some wishful thinking, 52mm, where did you get that
size choice?

In any case the 50-56mm size is a small but important market for
these companies to compete in.

It looks like Swarovski with a new Abbe-Koenig prism design will be
interesting, and I think you are afraid it will be threat to the Zeiss,
who has had it all alone.

If Zeiss is going to bring out a new big binocular in the HT, I predict it will
be a 50MM model. They will leave the small market of 56 to the Conquest,
unless?

Birders will not be concerned about those big 56mm binoculars,
they don't buy that size, as it is not needed.

A great 50mm binocular can be an everyday user for birders,
hunters and anyone wanting just a great view. That is why Swarovski
brought out their first, new big one with the 50MM Swarovisions.

The marketplace will work things out, as it always does. It is nice to have
choices.

Jerry

James:

size choice?

In any case the 50-56mm size is a small but important market for
these companies to compete in.

If Zeiss is going to bring out a new big binocular in the HT, I predict it will
be a 50MM model. They will leave the small market of 56 to the Conquest,
unless?

Birders will not be concerned about those big 56mm binoculars,
they don't buy that size, as it is not needed.

A great 50mm binocular can be an everyday user for birders,
hunters and anyone wanting just a great view. That is why Swarovski
brought out their first, new big one with the 50MM Swarovisions.

The marketplace will work things out, as it always does. It is nice to have
choices.

Jerry

A 56 might be aimed at hunters though, I dont see an advantage for a 50 but I'm pretty much a novice. Birding is less important to me over all than wildlife in general

James:

size choice?

It was a typo, since changed.

No, I don't feel that at all. In fact, I would think a 56 mm Conquest is a real threat to the much, much more expensive Swarovski, even though the Swaro is likely to be a bit [or even a lot] better.

Jerry

I don't think I want to go too deep on this, as I haven't laid eyes on the Swaro's and the HD's are still unreleased. The gist was - if the 56 mm Conquest is good, will there be a market for a much more expensive HT? - unless Zeiss ''holds back'' the quality of the Conquest in the same way Porsche does with the Caymen, so it doesn't outrun the 911.

Last edited:
I don't think I want to go too deep on this, as I haven't laid eyes on the Swaro's and the HD's are still unreleased. The gist was - if the 56 mm Conquest is good, will there be a market for a much more expensive HT? - unless Zeiss ''holds back'' the quality of the Conquest in the same way Porsche does with the Caymen, so it doesn't outrun the 911.

Good question, James. Zeiss has kept hammering on how super bright the 42 HTs are, and some have confirmed that by comparing them with other 42mm premium roofs including the FLs. And they marketed the hell out the HTs to hunters. I think they're hoping that the 8x and 10x42 HTs will be dual purpose binoculars for both birders and hunters, but as Jerry mentioned, their main competition, Swaro, has 10x and 12x50s, and they've gotten a lot of praise and attention, though I'm not sure about sales.

EDIT: I must have been number dyslexic, not sure where the $2,400 figure came from, I see Mike wrote $1599.99 for the 15x56 HD and slightly less for the 8x and 10x. That's still more than I had expected since the 8x32 HD is being discounted at $599, a $1,000 less than the 15x56s. Granted, there's more glass, more metal, but that's still a BIG difference, but perhaps that's the MSRP. Like the 8x32, we might see significant discounting later on. O ye of little wallets, keep your fingers crossed.

<B>

Last edited:
However, Zeiss seems to have boxed itself into a corner with the pricing of the 56mm Conquest HDs @ $2,400, according to Mike, which is much more than I had expected - in the alpha range - so where can they go with the pricing of a 50/56mm HT?

<B>

But Mike said the 56mm Conquest is under $1600, so there is plenty of room for a $2500 HT to take on the Swaro competition.
Seems like Zeiss is building a very coherent 3 tier program.

Interesting prices. If the Conquests compare well to the Swaro SCLs regarding specs and reviews, Swaro will have to take out some more parts from the focussers to reduce the prices of the big SLCs as well ;)

As for the big HTs, I rather see them in the 50 mm size than 56. Don't think that Zeiss will leave Swaro (with 10 and 12x50 ELs) and Leica (8, 10, 12x50 Ultravid) alone in that size.

Bob, I am unsure on how this older Conquest product will be managed in all other areas of the world, so I am always cautions to qualify my statements to be USA only. Sorry, just dont know, but will look into it and get back to you.

Mike.

I know that in the UK, the 30mm & 40mm were discontinued sometime ago.

Last edited:
However, Zeiss seems to have boxed itself into a corner with the pricing of the 56mm Conquest HDs @ $2,400, according to Mike, which is much more than I had expected - in the alpha range - so where can they go with the pricing of a 50/56mm HT?

<B>

I think Mike will be very, very happy if you pay $2400
for the new 15x56 Conquests,

o:)

VB

Just a couple of remarks:

Is the Conquest line complete?

This remains to be seen, and I am thinking about telescopes now ;)
Does the 56mm have SP or AK prisms

From the look of the pictures I think its AKs​

Lee

FYI-Our 8,10,15x56 Conquest HD's will have an AK prism. :)

FYI-Our 8,10,15x56 Conquest HD's will have an AK prism. :)

Excellent news Mike, what a great way to start the year.

And two more product reveals to come this year, in the States!

Don't suppose you would like to tickle our taste-buds a little with some tantalising hints about what may come later?

Lee

Mike, everyone seems to be forgetting(?) there's a Conquest 8x56 and 10x56 in the current lineup. And their prices in the USA are (typically): 8x56 $1500, 10x56 $1650. Not objectin', just sayin'.

Hi Pomp

I confess I haven't looked through the 'old' Conquest 56s but the other Conqs aren't in the same street as the 32 and 42 Conq HDs IMHO, so if the 56s are like those its a great result.

Lee

T? I thought they were discontinued?

PT

Mike said clearly that 30, 40, 45 and 50mm old Conquests will be discontinued in the USA.

This leaves the old 56mm without a comment from Mike but I think it is pretty clear they will be discontinued also. :smoke:

Over to you Mike.

Lee

I'll be the 1st to stir the pot - are these ''made in germany''? ;)

Frankly, it doesn't matter much to me, as my 8x32 HD is excellent - German or Japanese or a little of both. If Zeiss can make a better 56 mm Conquest, for less money than the original, I give them credit.

After all, how many others are bringing out improved models for less cost?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back