• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED (1 Viewer)

I had time so I searched back and found the details of the case offer from Zeiss in 2013
when the Terra first came out. It seems some purchasers were disappointed with a lack of a proper
case so they had an offer, to get one for only shipping cost. $14.95 case, I only paid
for shipping, $7.95. I recall Optics Planet handled this program for Zeiss.

The info. mentioned above is correct, the 8x42 case # is 2070-548, and it is a tight fit, and you need
to collapse eyecups to get in in the case.

If you want to learn more, go back to Zeiss posts in 2013, I suppose it has been discussed there.

Jerry

....... the 8x42 case # is 2070-548, and it is a tight fit, and you need
to collapse eyecups to get in in the case.

Jerry

Jerry ... I have the same 2070548 case but the 8X42 Terra fits in the case with the eye cups extended. I even wrap the Zeiss foam neck strap between the barrels which makes the unit longer because the foam strap wraps in front of the objectives. It was necessary to extend the buckle strap almost all the way out, The cover closes over the extended eye cups without a problem, but there is little free space left. Please see the first photo in post number 25 to get an idea of how the binocular sets in the case. I wonder what is different.

Brock .... I save the Zeiss case SKU labels because as you noticed, Zeiss does not have a label anywhere on the case with the model number. I also save the binocular boxes so I just store the label in the box for the binocular using the case.

I have not seen the 8X32 Terra yet. It has been a while since my last visit to Cabela's. They are most likely to have it if anyone does. If not, I hope to attend a Birding Festival in August and see it there.

My Terra is the 8X42 and yes, it does have a fast focus ratio that takes some adjustment. I usually settle down in a turn or two then all is fine. It take just a little less than 3/4 of a turn to go between close focus and infinity on mine. If Mike J. were to put me in charge of the specs, I would specify 1 1/4 turn, especially in the 10X. Not having received my just ordered 10X42 yet, I do not know what the rotation will be on it, but I expect it to be the same as the 8X42.

The Terra may not be the perfect binocular (none are) or the best at everything (none are), but it does everything well for me and so I like the overall package. It is one I feel comfortable about just grabbing on the spur of the moment and then enjoy the view.

Some fungus has spectacular colors so that could make for great close up viewing with your binoculars! You being the charmer that you are, I hope you got an invite for a fungus dinner so you can tell us what it tastes like. Some people out here eat rattle snake and yes, they do say it tastes like chicken. I however have no intention to find out if that is true! The opportunity did present itself a few weeks ago when I was near Camp Verde, AZ and one was stretched out on the side of road. Umm, Tasty!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=230910&highlight=adorama

Bruce,

I just went outside to test the turning radius on the Terra's focuser. I used from finger and the ridges on the focuser last time to get a rough guestimate. This time I placed tape on the top of the focuser when I was at close focus and then walked out into the street to focus on the distance mountain ridge and then I focused on the clouds beyond them, which AFAIK, is infinity. I'd have to try them on the stars to double check, because it's so foggy that I can't see beyond the first mountain ridge, which is about 20 miles away.

The focuser turned less than 1/2 turn from cf to infinity. Using the ridges on the focuser, one ridge less than 1/2 turn. Your focus accommodation is probably better than mine, which probably accounts for the difference rather than sample variation.

The 8x32 LX had the same "turning circle" (< 1/2 turn). Hitting my target w/out focusing over or under with either bin a challenge, and unlike you, I don't adjust to it in a turn or two.

The tape did give me an idea. I usually focus on birds at fixed distance, i.e., in the backyard, in the park. So I might be able to use colored tape to mark these distances on the focuser so that when I want to focus at a particular distance, instead of using my eyes to focus, I would look at the tape and bring that tape to the top of the focuser. Different colors for different distances. It probably won't work, because just a small nudge on the focuser and the target is out of focus, but it would be worth a try.

Closed bridge roofs are not my favorite design, I prefer porros (no more capitalization, Arthur, I'm not retired like you, I don't have the time! Ignazio knows I love him ;)), open bridge roofs and open hinge roofs (e.g., new SLC), but the Terra's barrels are chunky enough that I can cross my thumbs underneath them, which I couldn't do with the baby LX. So while not ideal, I can use them w/out much shaking or getting a cramp in my palm like I did with the LX.

Someone wrote that they tried the 8x32 Terra ED and thought it wasn't as good as the 8x42 model and wasn't worth the money, so I'd be interested in reading what you think of it since you own the 8x42 model. I'm particularly interested in how fast the focuser turns, one user said the 8x32 model turns slower than the 8x42 model, which is surprising.

I like the way the Terra's rain guard and objective caps are both attached to the strap, and they get out of my way when I'm using the bin. The odd thing is that the rain guard and objective caps on the Conquest HD have been a frequent complaint among buyers. I can't understand why Zeiss just didn't use the same caps as it has on the Terra, which works well. Why reinvent the wheel?

To borrow a phrase from someone, could be Jerry, I find the Terra's images to be "acceptably sharp." That is, for the price point, they are very good. With my lousy eyes, though, I'd like a bin to be a bit sharper, like the SE and EII, which is why I'm looking forward to trying the 8x42 Conquest HD.

Brock

Someone wrote that they tried the 8x32 Terra ED and thought it wasn't as good as the 8x42 model and wasn't worth the money...

Pure rubbish.

I'm particularly interested in how fast the focuser turns, one user said the 8x32 model turns slower than the 8x42 model, which is surprising.

IIRC, I want to say the focus is the same as the 10x42 model. I'm pretty sure the focus is the same on all three.

To borrow a phrase from someone, could be Jerry, I find the Terra's images to be "acceptably sharp." That is, for the price point, they are very good. With my lousy eyes, though, I'd like a bin to be a bit sharper, like the SE and EII, which is why I'm looking forward to trying the 8x42 Conquest HD.

Yep, that is a good and fair statement. For the price point, they're pretty damn good.

If Zeiss wanted to, they could certainly make another model in the 600-800 price range that would give a higher resolution and overall IQ; however, that would seriously challenge their Conquest line and probably reduce sales. ;)

Pure rubbish.

IIRC, I want to say the focus is the same as the 10x42 model. I'm pretty sure the focus is the same on all three.

Yep, that is a good and fair statement. For the price point, they're pretty damn good.

If Zeiss wanted to, they could certainly make another model in the 600-800 price range that would give a higher resolution and overall IQ; however, that would seriously challenge their Conquest line and probably reduce sales. ;)

Good to hear that the 8x32 is as good optically as the 8x42. I wonder if the person who said it wasn't had a bad sample?

But not good to hear that all Terra models have fast focusers, which are not to my liking. The focusers move 0-60 mph like a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette with a Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo @ 1.97 seconds while my eyes go 0-60 like a 1954 Triumph Renown @ 29.5 seconds.

It's really my only complaint. If not for that, I would want to own a pair.

Some have complained about the FOV. I expected 7.3* to feel a little cramped since even the 7.5* FOV of the 8x32 SE felt a bit restricted, but the view seems "open" enough for me. Nice "heft," too, feels like a quality bin in the hands.

Brock

My 8x42 Terra ED focus wheel turns exactly 360º from dead stop close up to dead stop past infinity.

Put the focus wheel in the dead stop close up position. Take a thin strip of white adhesive tape and place it in the 1200 o'clock position on the focus wheel. Turn the focus wheel to the 1000 o'clock position and you will be at, or very close to infinity. What is left is focus past infinity.

You will find more information about it here in the 1st post in this link at about the 10th paragraph.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=258748

My 8x32 Terra EDs Focus wheel turns 1 and 1/2 full turns or 540º. I have it in my car so I can't give you more information about it.

Here is a suggestion. I find that on my 8x42 the face of the focus wheel has "Designed by Zeiss" printed on it in a 1/2 circle. If your binocular is like mine when it is is in both the fully open and the fully closed positions this printing will read with the capital "D" in "Designed by Zeiss" in the 12 o' clock position. Use the "D" in the word Distance as your guide. It will always be around 1000 o'clock when at infinity and at useable close-up it will be at 4:00 0'clock.

Bob

Last edited:
Hey quick question for you guys that have (I mean REALLY have) real world experience with the Terra 8x42 and the Vortex Diamondback 8x42:

Which one would you choose? I have been pretty impressed with the function of the latest Diamondback but have not handled a Terra. I have a friend that's shopping in this price range and I was wondering which way to steer him.

My 8x42 Terra ED focus wheel turns exactly 360º from dead stop close up to dead stop past infinity.

Put the focus wheel in the dead stop close up position. Take a thin strip of white adhesive tape and place it in the 1200 o'clock position on the focus wheel. Turn the focus wheel to the 1000 o'clock position and you will be at, or very close to infinity. What is left is focus past infinity.

You will find more information about it here in the 1st post in this link at about the 10th paragraph.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=258748

My 8x32 Terra EDs Focus wheel turns 1 and 1/2 full turns or 540º. I have it in my car so I can't give you more information about it.

Here is a suggestion. I find that on my 8x42 the face of the focus wheel has "Designed by Zeiss" printed on it in a 1/2 circle. If your binocular is like mine when it is is in both the fully open and the fully closed positions this printing will read with the capital "D" in "Designed by Zeiss" in the 12 o' clock position. Use the "D" in the word Distance as your guide. It will always be around 1000 o'clock when at infinity and at useable close-up it will be at 4:00 0'clock.

Bob

Bob,

You must have been the member I was referring to who wrote that the 8x32 Terra ED focused slower than the 8x42. I could accommodate 1 and 1/2 turns. Not too fast, not too slow. The question with the 8x32 would be if I could hold it comfortably.

It seems you agree with Bruce that the 8x42 model takes about 3/4 a turn to go from cf to infinity (9 o'clock position would be 3/4, so a bit more in your case).

Not for my eyes, though. I measured it using a strip of electrical tape, and it's less than 1/2 turn. Even 3/4 of a turn would be too fast for me.

I need a roof with a slow hand,
Don't want a bin with an easy touch,
I want a focuser that takes its time,
Not one that turns in a heated rush,
I want you all to understand,
When it comes to bins, I want a slow hand.

(everybody sing it, now!) ;)

Brock

Hey quick question for you guys that have (I mean REALLY have) real world experience with the Terra 8x42 and the Vortex Diamondback 8x42.

Sorry David I haven't had a chance to see a Diamondback model. I read some of the reviews on Amazon and they weren't not very flattering. The Diamondback doesn't have the ED glass like the Terra so I'm pretty sure the Terra would be a better bin optically. That's just an educated guess. I think you'd have to be at the Viper HD level to compete with the Terra ED.

With my experience of the Viper HD, I think the Terra ED might be a bit tougher too. Those Viper HD eyecups are easily damaged.

That sounds about right. I'll verify this in the next hour as I'll be running a couple of errands then.

To be clear though, I don't think the number of turns is really the issue. The focus knob on the Zeiss just allows for a larger focus value adjustment.

My Vortex Razor HD 8x42 bins are also 1.5 turns but each focusing adjustment doesn't tweak the image that severely -- it's a much finer focusing value.

So like this:

Terra ED == 1 focus step = X
Razor HD == 1 focus step = .25X

Hey quick question for you guys that have (I mean REALLY have) real world experience with the Terra 8x42 and the Vortex Diamondback 8x42:

Which one would you choose? I have been pretty impressed with the function of the latest Diamondback but have not handled a Terra. I have a friend that's shopping in this price range and I was wondering which way to steer him.

David,

I have both of them. I got the Diamondback shortly after it came out and I liked it enough to use it as a car binocular for more than 6 months. Like the Terra ED it is a tough, well built binocular and better looking than the TerraED IMO. It has long eye relief like the Terra ED and is easy to use. I understand that Vortex improved its brightness since I got my mine. Its FOV is much wider than the Terra EDs FOV. 420'@1000yards to 375'@1000yards. It also has a lot of field curvature (pincushioning) at the edge of its view. They weigh the same, have the same 18mm eye relief but the Terra ED is a bit more compact in length and width.

My Diamondback is not as bright as as my TerraED but it cost nearly $130.00 less than my TerraED did. It is a popular binocular. It has more than 50 5 star reviews on the Eagle Optic web site but the Terra ED also has almost that many positive reviews there too.

I haven't used my Diamondback in quite a while (I keep my Terra ED handy for quick use) but I have no problem recommending the Diamondback as a very good, budget priced, reliable 8x42. And the Vortex Warranty may be the best of all of them.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Mine is just over 1.5 turns -- 550 degrees.

Thanks for confirming that. I think the small differences between your figures are due to focus accommodation rather than sample variation. If you have good focus accommodation, you can focus closer so you'll get more focus travel. For example, Frank D's thirtysomething eyes almost always focus a few feet closer than mine do for the same bins (I even found this when I've used the same sample he did).

My longer close focus is probably why I'm measuring less than 1/2 turn from cf to infinity with the 8x42 model while Bob and Bruce measure it to be about 3/4 of a turn. Still to fast, IMO.

I wonder why Zeiss made the 8x42's focuser so fast and yet gave the 8x32's a more reasonable focus range? Did they hear the complaints about the fast focuser speed on the 8x42 model and respond by making the 8x32's focuser slower or was there a mechanical issue involved, for example, the smaller focuser wheel on the 8x32?

In the case of the Nikon HGLs, it's the opposite, the full sized models focus slower but still on the fast side (just under 1 turn) vs. the midsized models (less than 1/2 turn).

It's good to know, because otherwise I do like the Terra ED, and the 7.7* FOV on the 8x32 model is better for close-in birding.

It's tiny, though - 4.9 x 4.3 inches vs. 5.5 x 4.7 inches for the 8x42. Not sure about hand fit. The 8x30 M7 was comfortable to hold due to its high set bridge and long barrels.

I'd like to see a comparison between the 8x30 M7 and 8x32 Terra ED since these appear to be the best buys in the midsized format.

Brock

Brock, I know nothing about this company, but they're based in the USA. Check out the specs of their newest binocular series. The 8x30 costs $499 but its specifications are impressive:

http://styrkastrong.com/products-S7binoculars

Kenickie,

Perestroika? From the name, at first I thought it might be a Russkie company, but the bins look like Chinese clones similar to the Terra ED, perhaps from the same factory, but in slightly different garb. I like the way they dug out grooves for the strap lugs to get them out of your way.

If they've been in the sporting optics business for "over a century," how come we haven't heard of STYRKA? I think they might be using marketing mumbo jumbo to mean that collectively, the partners or key personnel have over 100 years experience in optics.

Being a hunting optics company, Steve C. will probably be getting a sample to try, so we'll find out how these clones compare to the Terras and their peers when he writes his review.

"A brown van pulled up in front of the house yesterday.... " Oh, no, that's Frank's opening line. ;)

Danny Zuko

Last edited:
Bruce,
The focuser turned less than 1/2 turn from cf to infinity. Using the ridges on the focuser, one ridge less than 1/2 turn. Your focus accommodation is probably better than mine, which probably accounts for the difference rather than sample variation.
...........Brock

Brock .... Your sample Terra 8X42 is showing less than 1/2 of a turn from max close focus to infinity whereas mine is showing just less than 3/4 of a turn from max close focus to infinity. My thought is this is due to sample variation and not any great focus accommodation on my part.

It only takes a few degrees of rotation for me to refocus from about 30 yards to infinity. If I were to counter rotate a quarter turn (90 degrees) from infinity toward close focus, even the Million Dollar Man Lee Majors and his bionic eye would not be able to accommodate a view at infinity with my Terra.

If it is sample variation, then which is the norm? I'm thinking the one you are using is off since mine is fairly close to what Bob is getting. Even 3/4 of a turn is fast but I think you would be more satisfied with that than what you are experiencing now. The difference between a 1/2 turn and a 3/4 turn is a lot.

Here are some shots showing (in picture order), the focus knob position at full counter-clockwise max close focus, then rotated clockwise almost 3/4 of a turn to infinity, then rotated clockwise almost a full turn to the stop past infinity. Full rotation for mine is just under a full turn compared to Bob saying his is exactly a full turn. The lettering on the focus knob indicates the different positions.

Attachments

• Focus Positions_Resized.jpg
    Focus Positions_Resized.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 53
Brock .... Your sample Terra 8X42 is showing less than 1/2 of a turn from max close focus to infinity whereas mine is showing just less than 3/4 of a turn from max close focus to infinity. My thought is this is due to sample variation and not any great focus accommodation on my part.

It only takes a few degrees of rotation for me to refocus from about 30 yards to infinity. If I were to counter rotate a quarter turn (90 degrees) from infinity toward close focus, even the Million Dollar Man Lee Majors and his bionic eye would not be able to accommodate a view at infinity with my Terra.

If it is sample variation, then which is the norm? I'm thinking the one you are using is off since mine is fairly close to what Bob is getting. Even 3/4 of a turn is fast but I think you would be more satisfied with that than what you are experiencing now. The difference between a 1/2 turn and a 3/4 turn is a lot.

Here are some shots showing (in picture order), the focus knob position at full counter-clockwise max close focus, then rotated clockwise almost 3/4 of a turn to infinity, then rotated clockwise almost a full turn to the stop past infinity. Full rotation for mine is just under a full turn compared to Bob saying his is exactly a full turn. The lettering on the focus knob indicates the different positions.

This is the second sample 8x42 Terra ED that I've used. The other I tried outside a nature center.briefly not long after they first came out. I had it for only about 5 minutes, but I did use it all that time outdoors, and although I didn't measure the focus range, it seemed way to fast. If I recall correctly, it had less stickion that Jerry's Terra, the focuser felt a bit loose while Jerry's turns with more pressure. I had a very hard time focusing with that first sample.

That was the same deal with my first sample 8x32 LX, which had a loosely goosey focuser. Blow on it and it would turn (not really but that's how it felt, and it also had some slack. My second sample turned with enough stickion like Jerry's Terra ED, but it was still too fast for my eyes. I kept over shooting. I thought I would adjust to it over time, and while it did improve, three years later, I would still overshoot if I were in a new environment.

Now that I've used the Terra for a couple weeks (though not as often as I would like because of one storm front after another), I'm getting used it, but like the 8x32 LX, I don't think that I will ever completely adjust to it the way that you do after one or two turns.

I actually sit in my backyard, on my front porch, and in the park in the same spot and practice focusing with it. Looking at a distance and trying to hit my target spot on to develop my muscle memory of the focus range.

I haven't seen Ed around here in a while, he probably knows how "muscle memory" works. I think muscle memory might be why you have adjusted to the fast focuser, and why it takes a couple turns before you're back in the groove.

Brock

I have a 10X Terra ED in route and am looking forward to comparing it to my current 8X Terra. ............!

The Terra arrived today but UPS was not kind. There was about a a 3 inch hole knocked out of the plastic display case. The plastic case was bubble wrapped and placed in a larger box which was stuffed with plastic wrapping. The box must have taken a heck of a hit, but it did not look that bad.

I did not want to break the Zeiss seals on the plastic display case so as to not complicate the return. This means I did not check out the Terra to see how well it held up to the abuse.

It is going back because first, I did want a damaged display case, and second, I did not feel comfortable going with a binocular at took that kind of hit. I still want a 10X42 Terra so I will be replacing it.

Watching all the handling and stops on the UPS tracking site did have me thinking it could end up damaged. That turned out to be the case.

Routing:
Store to Kansas City, KS
Kanas City, KS to Lenexa, KS
Lenexa, KS to Salina, KS
Salina, KS to Commerce City CO (Denver)
Commerce City, CO to Trinidad, CO
Trinidad, CO to Albuquerque, NM
Albuquerque, NM to Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ to Tempe, AZ
Tempe, AZ to Delivery Truck
Delivery Truck to Home

That is a lot of handling! That does make an argument to forget free shipping and opt for two day air or Priority Mail.

The Terra arrived today but UPS was not kind. There was about a a 3 inch hole knocked out of the plastic display case. The plastic case was bubble wrapped and placed in a larger box which was stuffed with plastic wrapping. The box must have taken a heck of a hit, but it did not look that bad.

I ordered mine from Eagle Optics and they double-boxed the Zeiss case! Plus they had bubble wrap around it on the inside. I was wondering why I had such a large box but they included the Zeiss case.

It was probably the best retail packaging job that I've seen in a long time -- even compared to B&H.

Sorry to hear Bruce. I would call the company tomorrow and have them ship out a new one while you send back this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back