• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW Terra ED 32mm Under Armour Edition Binocular (1 Viewer)

Ha! You're preaching to the choir. HOWEVER, I don't see how coming from a world that mostly uses the metric system is any excuse for not being able to handle the elementary math involved in doing the conversion properly. Heck, these days you can just type it into the Google search window, don't even have to do the math. How those presumably educated Germans at Leica can engineer the bins but can't handle simple maths is hard to fathom :)

--AP

Perhaps it is so because the marketing guys are writing the ads, not the engineers :)

Holger

It's not only about ISU

A little bit of math is needed too. They have the FoV as x[m]/1000m. What they often do is this: they correctly convert x[m] in y[ft], BUT forget to convert 1000m in yds, and calculate the ratio properly. So they wrongly state the FoV as y[ft]/1000yds. It's amazing how often this err is made. I have tried to convince people at Leupold that the FoV of the Mojave was wrongly calculated, as above, but failed to make them understand.

Peter.

Last edited:
"Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe."[Galileo Galilei]
So that was God's jargon, not mine.....God spoke to me again, in simpler terms this time: divide the ft in ft/1000yd by 3 to get the FoV in m/1000m, or vice-versa.

Peter.

"Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe."[Galileo Galilei]
So that was God's jargon, not mine.....God spoke to me again, in simpler terms this time: divide the ft in ft/1000yd by 3 to get the FoV in m/1000m, or vice-versa.

Peter.

Peter:

Good one, we have the right way to measure in US feet and inches, the metric equivalents, and
now we have common core, not sure what they will offer up there, as 2+2 does not equal 4 !
I used to be on the local school board, this is being discussed today.

It seems the binocular specs. advertised are more often wrong than right.

I would be interested in what Galileo would think today. ;)

Jerry

Not to muddy the waters all over again, but they list the eyepiece at 60* ("subjective field of view"), which, at 8x, implies a 7.5* actual field, or about 393 ft.

Magnification times FoV is only an (over)approximation of the AFoV, which I believe explains the discrepancy.///Peter

Just as an example, the AFoV (calculated using the current ISO standard) of a 8x set with FoV=8.8* (such as the EII 8x30) is 63.2* (not 70.4*)///Peter

Just as an example, the AFoV (calculated using the current ISO standard) of a 8x set with FoV=8.8* (such as the EII 8x30) is 63.2* (not 70.4*)///Peter

Right, and the measured AFOV of the 8x30 EII is 67.6*, because it is neither free of distortion (which would correspond to the ISO-standard), nor corrected according to the angle condition, but with a moderate pincushion distortion in between those two.

Cheers,
Holger

It seems time to put this one to the top. Has anyone tried the new Terra 8x32?

The FOV thing has occupied much of the energy, and so just looking for user opinions.

The specs find these nice and light and fit in the compact range.

Jerry

Jerry,

Camera Land had the 32mm Terra EDs listed last week so I called about them. They called me back and said they wouldn't be available until April. They have now changed their website to reflect this but they are taking orders for them.

Bob

PS: I did not order one. I can wait. And their specs for the 8x32 show that same erroneous FOV of 442'@1000yards.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeiss_523205

Last edited:
Eagle Optics has the Terra 8x32 in stock, and I ordered one today. Should receive it in several days, and I'll tell the Forum what I think of it. This Under Armor harness thing seems overkill for such a petite binocular.

John

Eagle Optics has the Terra 8x32 in stock, and I ordered one today. Should receive it in several days, and I'll tell the Forum what I think of it. This Under Armor harness thing seems overkill for such a petite binocular.

John

Look forward to hearing all about it John :t:

Lee

Thank you John. I look forward to reading your review. The 32 mm Terra is certainly one that caught my eye. I enjoyed the optics of the 42 mm model but wasn't too fond of the fact focus. Would you be kind enough to comment on it when you do your review?

Thank you.

The Terra ED 8x32 arrived this early afternoon and I spent until dark putting it through the paces comparing it to other similar binoculars . My report will come tomorrow.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back