• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So....SF 8X42 has arrived... (1 Viewer)

I was surprised to see that the last HT I tried had the distinct green yellow characteristics of the FL, though perhaps a hint more blue in direct comparison. The HT and FL are models I only try occasionally so I don’t have any real feel for variability, but that one appeared distinctly different from others I’ve tried where the blue appeared relatively better and the red content contrasted distinctly with the FL. I wouldn’t know if this is some random variation or a deliberate change in design.

I’ve tried rather mere Swarovskis and the EL SVs and SLCs seem quite variable to me. Perhaps half I’ve tried were very close to neutral as far as my eyes can judge, but some appeared to have excessive blue levels and had reduced performance in hazy conditions and seem quite glarey compared to other samples. Though rarer, I’ve seen a couple that were definitely warmer as well.

I can only guess, but perhaps the coating process is not completely uniform across all the batchs of lenses and/or prisms? With so many surfaces, you might think the total spectum would tend to average out, but perhaps not entirely.

David

That is curious.

I have been using a Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL for 3 years and I have never seen any hint of a green/yellow color cast while using it.

Bob

BTW...my serial number is WAY past those SFs...4375476.

Guys

Just be aware that Zeiss binoculars' serial numbers do not always follow in numerical order. So it is not possible to say with certainty that the bins with the numerically lower serial number was produced earlier than one with a higher number.

Lee

Nothing beats putting YOUR hands on them. :t:

I think my issue with the eyecups has been put to bed but still Leica>Swarovski>Zeiss.

The optics, FOV, focus adjustment, ergonomics...EXCELLEENT!

Don't TRADE the SV for Pete's sake! ADD the 8X42s! :t:
Yes, the eye cups on the SF are probably not as quality looking as Leica or Swarovski but they seem to work fine and if you break them they would probably be easy to replace. They seem to lock into place solidly and they don't have a lot of slop. That is one thing I hate about some of the Chinese binoculars. The looseness or slop in the eye cups. The Zeiss SF is so light you look at it and wonder is this worth $2500? But the view is up there with the best of them I do have to agree. There must be some good glass inside.

Nothing beats putting YOUR hands on them. :t:

I think my issue with the eyecups has been put to bed but still Leica>Swarovski>Zeiss.

The optics, FOV, focus adjustment, ergonomics...EXCELLEENT!

Don't TRADE the SV for Pete's sake! ADD the 8X42s! :t:
I don't know the 10x42 SF's are pretty nice. Big FOV for a 10x. Your right about the optics, FOV, focus adjustment, ergonomics and weight. In those areas they are exceptional.

In the Western Isles of Scotland there is an island called Berneray that we have visited about 30 time over the last 20 years or so.

The northern and western shore is a pure white sand beach about 5 km / 3 miles long and last year we visited it on a blazing sunshiney day with deep blue sky and dazzling white sand. I think I would have noticed if the white sand was actually a sickly shade of green or if the sky was murky grey.

Lee
Again I looked at pure white objects with both the SV and the SF head to head and I saw no green in either. But it is very possible Zeiss made some changes.

Again I looked at pure white objects with both the SV and the SF head to head and I saw no green in either. But it is very possible Zeiss made some changes.

You are right Dennis, its possible Zeiss have made changes. But I did try out some pre-production units including one that I tried at the Federsee (a big lake) in South Germany.

It was a bright sunny day and the waters of the lake were a deep blue. Swimming around on the lake were dozens of brilliant white Mute Swans and none of them was a miserable green :-O .

Lee

You are right Dennis, its possible Zeiss have made changes. But I did try out some pre-production units including one that I tried at the Federsee (a big lake) in South Germany.

It was a bright sunny day and the waters of the lake were a deep blue. Swimming around on the lake were dozens of brilliant white Mute Swans and none of them was a miserable green :-O .

Lee

The story of the SF on bird forum reminds me of the story of the ugly duckling:

"The story tells of a homely little bird born in a barnyard who suffers abuse from the others around him until, much to his delight (and to the surprise of others), he matures into a beautiful swan, the most beautiful bird of all. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_Duckling

Even that fun(ny) Colorado-guy seems to have stopped with his abuse of the SF...finally
:king:

That is curious.

I have been using a Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL for 3 years and I have never seen any hint of a green/yellow color cast while using it.

Bob

That is curious. Check the FL transmission profiles on Allbinos. They all have a peak around 580nm in the yellow. ;)

David

Last edited:
That is curious. Check the FL transmission profiles on Allbinos. They all have a peak around 580nm in the yellow. ;)

David

Not that far off the 550nm the eye is most sensitive to, but is that what the brain 'reproduces' or does it equalise the visible spectrum?

Lee

David,
In addition to my post 73: the Leica Ultravid HD and HD-plus 8x42 peak at 600 nm, but that does not give them a color cast since the shape of the spectrum between 450-700 nm is flat enough to yield good color reproduction.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

As I said, the HTs and SFs I tried on the Zeiss stand at their launch event were pretty neutral which sounds consistent with your results. That recent HT I tried recently most definitely wasn't neutral. Others in the thread appear to report non-neutral results for the HT and SF.

I would agree that the Leica Ultravid HD Plus samples I've tried appear to have much better colour reproduction, and by implication a flatter transmission curve than the FL. My impression is that the 600-750nM region is stronger than, not only the FL, but the HT and SF as well. What did you find?

David

I have loooked frequently through the SF in comparison with other binoculars, the color reproduction is very good and it is fully confirmed by the transmission spectra I have measured. No green cast at all and if people see it with the SF they should see it much stronger with the HT on the basis of the transmission spectra, but that binocular also does not have a green cast with my eyes.

No idea why you don't see a colour cast. Maybe there have been some changes already. The SFs I tried in the field were all early bins, so maybe I should really have a look at some recent pairs.

Hermann

David,
The transmission spectra of the HD and the HD-plus are almost perfectly parallel and nowhere reach 90%. The HD-plus has its maximum value at 600 nm and stays with 1% less then the maximum at 600 nm flat to 700 nm similar to the standard HD.
Gijs

From Allbinos.com:

"Whiteness of the image: Good. The transmission curve is slightly slanted and there is a distinct cut-off on the border between the visible spectrum and infrared."

Now check the diagram, 10%+ diff in transmission from 400 to 625nm and still no color cast...apparently, no correlation between transmission and color cast..

Attachments

• 49905_svar_hd10x42.jpg
    49905_svar_hd10x42.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 46
I'm joining this discussion as I'm thinking of buying some new binoculars having hauled around a pair of Trinovid 10x50 BNs for a long time. I like them but they make my neck ache and I'm not getting any younger. So this is to be the pair to take me through the next few decades, good health permitting. My technical knowledge is minimal but having read many positive reviews of the 8x42 SFs I'm interested just because of their outrageous FOV. They don't sell them in Sheffield so I'll have to make a special trip to try some out. For me it's between them (if they turn out to be as wonderful as reviews suggest) and the SV 8.5s. What has put me off is that anyone I talk to just says go for the Swaros, they're unbeatable and Zeiss lost the plot some years ago. My suspicion is they haven't looked through the SFs and are just assuming they're like earlier models. They do say that Zeiss after-care is poor compared with Swarovski. A minor point, but the SVs do have a shorter minimum focus which appeals as insects are also an interest for me. So, simply, could I have advice from anyone who cares to give it.
Thanks from an enthusiastic but not very well informed birder.

Vespobuteo,
We have measured the spectrum of the Swar. SLC 8x42 HD and that looks quite different from the one you show in post 78. The binocular shows no color cast and is fairly flat in the spectral region 500-650 nm (variation at a quick glance of about 3-4% over that wavelenght range) and the spectrum starts to drop significantly beyond 650 nm.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back