• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (3 Viewers)

Although not made much of presumably to the northern isles for Killdeer, Am Coot, Northern Harrier etc as well #tooraretoignore ??

Mind you, they could spend the next 4 days on a windswept beach near Penzance ... lol

Although not made much of presumably to the northern isles for Killdeer, Am Coot, Northern Harrier etc as well #tooraretoignore ??

Mind you, they could spend the next 4 days on a windswept beach near Penzance ... lol

I also think they should do the northern islands to see these extraordinary species (although it seems hard to get there). But first of all they have to clean up with the "mainland" species (yesterday was amazing - go on like this!!).

@Paul: I also think they don't need to go for the Danish Accentor now - aren't there still some hanging around in Sweden? And where do they breed in the WP? Indeed together with the Black-throated Accentors in the Urals?

By the way: I think 205 species (and with Lesser Flamingo, Sociable Lapwing, Buff-bellied Pipit and Bonaparte's Gull really quality species among them!) in the first half month is a quite promising start!!

... (yesterday was amazing - go on like this!!).

What did they have? Can't find the post with the link to their list - this is already a long thread to search through ;)

(hint to making the saga easier to follow: please repost the link every few posts, the way it was on Arjan's world trip thread!)

Last edited:
What did they have? Can't find the post with the link to their list - this is already a long thread to search through ;)

(hint to making the saga easier to follow: please repost the link every few posts, the way it was on Arjan's world trip thread!)
There's a link to their blog in the first post on page one:

http://www.bigyearwp.com

Yesterday's big ticks were Lesser Legs, Yank Wigeon, Bony's Gull, Lesser Scaup and Ring-billed Gull, they also saw a Green-winged Teal they had seen the previous day, hence presumably the six Yanks in the day.

The actual list is accessed from the menu button at top right of the blog front page. A criticism I would have of the list page is that the overall species list comes first and you have to scroll down through it to get details of the species and sites on the most recent days. It would be nice if these were separate.

Also, there was a link to their itinery in one of the first posts on this thread, but it seems to be broken. I'd like to know how long they have for British twitching before their Morocco trip which I think is next scheduled one (sure Paul will know). Do hope they get the Diver and the HudWhim in Cornwall today. Unfortunately I'm not fit enough any more to do something like this, let alone Arjan's world big year (doubtful if I ever was ;)).

PS: not much feedback from Beds birders on availability of Lady A, but what I've had agrees with my opinion that it won't be calling yet, though possibly a little easier to see in winter if it deigns to wander into any of the visible areas (less vegetation). Probably not worth the effort at this stage unless they have nothing better to do. Go for the proper stuff like the Dusky, the Black Scoter or out to the Scottish isles.

Kuwait, Jan 1-17. Eastern species + rare wintering birds. Crab Plover, Shikra, Lesser/Greater Sand Plover, Red-tailed/Isabelline Shrike, Bulbuls, Babblers.
End of Jan, maybe some straggling rarities in Sweden.
Morocco/Western Sahara. Feb 1-22. Coast and desert. Double-spurred Francolin, Barbary Partridge, Royal Tern, Marsh Owl, Golden Nightjar, Maghreb Lark, Sudan Golden Sparrow, Cricket Warbler.
Northern Sweden, March 1-8. Owls, Fowl, Woodpeckers. Arctic Redpoll, Lesser Redpoll !, Capercaillie, Parrot Crossbill, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Siberian Tit, Tengmalm’s owl.
Home.
Southern Sweden, March 18-23. Vagrants. Gyrfalcon, Greater Scaup, Smew.
Israel, March 24-April 8. Arabian Warbler, Nubian Nightjar, Black Scrub-robin, Syrian Siskin, Sinai Rosefinch, Crowned Sandgrouse, McQueens Bustard.
Kuwait, second trip. April 10-20. Spring vagrants of Kuwait. Soccotra Cormorant, Bridled Tern, Basra Reed-warbler
Morocco, second trip. April 22-31. Atlas mountains and coast. Seebohm’s Wheatear, Atlas Flycatcher, Levaillant’s Woodpecker, Small Buttonquail, Tristram’s Warbler.
Egypt. May 1-14. Southern species. Yellow-billed Stork, Kittliz’s Plover, Pink-backed Pelican, Lappet-faced Vulture, Painted Snipe, Senegal Thick-knee, Nile Valley Sunbird.
Georgia. May 16-19. Caucasus species. Caucasian Snowcock, Caucasian Black Grouse, Great Rosefinch, Güldenstädt’s Redstart.
Turkey. May 20-June 6. Caucasus. Black Francolin, See-See Partridge, Demoiselle Crane, Brown Fish-owl, Radde’s Accentor, Mongolian Finch, White-winged Snowfinch, Chestnut-shouldered Sparrow.
Cyprus. June 7-9. The wheatear and the warbler.
Kazakhstan, Ural delta. June 10-13. Speculative trip. Black Lark, Sociable Lapwing, Red-headed Bunting, Long-tailed Shrike …
Urals. June 14-July 1. Siberian Rubythroat, White’s Thrush, Long-tailed Rosefinch, Azure Tit.
Familytime.
Svalbard, July 6-10. Ivory Gull, Brünnich’s Guillemot. Little Auk, King Eider. Grey Phalarope, Atlantic Puffin.
Southern Europe. Spain/Italy/Corsica/Mallorca July 17-30. Cat C species, White-rumped Swift, Moltoni’s Warbler, Marmora’s Warbler, Balearic Warbler, Spanish Imperial Eagle, Citril Finch.
End of Aug, not yet clear.
Portugal, Aug 12-15 Cat C species. Aquatic Warbler.
Madeira, Aug 16-21. Pelagics, plus endemics.
Cap Verde, Aug 22-29. Endemics plus vagrants.
Falsterbo Birdshow in Sweden. Sep 1-3. Bivråkens dag!
Sparetime.
Ireland-England Sep 10-25. American Waders, Leach’s Storm-petrel. Roseate Tern. Cat C, rarities in England.
Azores, Oct 4-26.
Northern Europe, Sweden/Denmark/UK Oct 28-Nov 2. Unclear.
Iceland, Nov 14-19.
Netherlands, Dec 1-4 Cat C species, wintering geese.
Canary Islands. Dec 5-15. Endemics, Houbara Bustard.

Thanks for the itinery. So basically they've got the rest of January to twitch birds in the British Isles (so some or all the Scottish isles should be possible) and Northern Europe. Should do pretty well.

Familytime? Sparetime?

Lightweights. ;)

cheers, a

Yes, but did you realise that the time "home" is just 10 days in March and the "family time" in July is just 5 days in between such remote destinations as Urals and Svalbard?? So, probably is their weight not too light :).

By the way: Does anybody have news how successful their third day of GB twitching was? Haven't seen anything on their blog nor on facebook...

Last edited:
Thanks for the itinery. So basically they've got the rest of January to twitch birds in the British Isles (so some or all the Scottish isles should be possible) and Northern Europe. Should do pretty well.

That is really a promising "spare time" in their itinerary! And hopefully they are using the other gaps in their planned schedule for fruitful twitches as well!!

By the way: Does anybody have news how successful their third day of GB twitching was? Haven't seen anything on their blog nor on facebook...

Hopefully, if they got the Diver and the Whimbrel, they are now driving to put themselves in position for the Dusky Thrush.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back