• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trousers (1 Viewer)

tom24

The trousers i use at present are regatta action and craghopper solardry?
I'm sure you know the 'action' ones;9 pockets..I refer to them as 'mars bars'...'work;rest and play'..
The crag's have 8 pockets (phone/knife pocket within the leg one).These are more roomy and very hard wearing.
I've yet to find better for all day comfort/usability in our climes.
The actions dry more quickly if wet,the crags not too far behind.
I also have rohans..but really they're too expensive for their cost.They get soaking in a very light shower and just aren't as tough as the others.
The actions also come lined,very warm but a lot longer to dry off if caught in a downpour..but well worth every penny.
The only other trousers i've fancied (but haven't seen here for a while were Fjall Ravens).Anyone know if they're available?
I also got a pair of Wynster label trousers at Christmas...Pockets similar to rohan design at rear,side leg pckts vertical as opposed to horizontal entry,roomy and cloth appears hard wearing.Who prefers others?

I bought some of Contry Inovations water proof trousers, tad on the dear side but they are great, lying in a puddle doesn't get me wet (well my legs) and I can stroll through Gorse without a scatch, not much good in the heat as they are lined but they keep me warm on a winters day.

i also brought two pairs of cragghoppers [solardry] three years ago from a leisure and outdoor shop in norwich,would have thought i needed to replace them by know but i've only ever had to sew one button on after it came loose.they cost around £40,wish i bought six pairs while they were in stock as i havent seen any like them since.

matt

matt green said:
i also brought two pairs of cragghoppers [solardry] three years ago from a leisure and outdoor shop in norwich,would have thought i needed to replace them by know but i've only ever had to sew one button on after it came loose.they cost around £40,wish i bought six pairs while they were in stock as i havent seen any like them since.

matt
I get my crag' solardrys in local Millets or Blacks (same company).

The Craghoppers Kiwi's are great trousers - I've three pairs, plus one of the fleece lined version (which annoyingly doesn't have the cargo pocket). You can sometimes pick them up for as little as £20 in online sales, barring that www.outdoormania.co.uk always have them well below full price.

also look out for peter storm trousers,i brought a pair in the local oxfam for two pounds,100% nylon might not sound very comfy but they are great in really hot weather.
they are also extremely light and appear to be well made,despite being two sizes two small [38,for comfort ;) ] they fit like a glove and have a great cut.

matt

Well worth considering are the ubiquitous army surplus trousers - available in environmentally friendly green (or camouflage if necessary) and a variety of weights, i.e. tropical, arctic, fatigues, etc.

They are generously cut & tend to be long in the leg - things I appreciate greatly, fast drying - vital in Wales, easily repaired - for when those barbed wire fences get you, have more pockets than you could ever fill and best of all are cheap - around £5-£10 a pair depending on grade.

I find Rohan & Craghopper tend to be a 'fashion' cut and not terribly generous around the seat area (now you know - my bum does look big in these!!) and I do like my comfort :bounce:

just found the site below after a quick google search,quite like the look of the british army gore-tex camo parker,a give away at £39.99.

i would like to know how these and other army surplus kit compares to much more expensive products from paramo etc.

matt

www.campingandcamo.co.uk

should also add that some of this stuff can be graded/used so make sure you read all the product details

Last edited:
matt green said:
just found the site below after a quick google search,quite like the look of the british army gore-tex camo parker,a give away at £39.99.

i would like to know how these and other army surplus kit comperes to much more expensive products from paramo etc.

matt

www.campingandcamo.co.uk

I've not been that impressed with most ex-army kit. A lot of servicemen use their own civilian kit in preference to the supplied stuff. It's generally not bad and always pretty robust but is made to a price and often lacks some of the nicer touches that a good climbing/walking company will add. As far as i'm aware no armed service currently uses the wicking system Paramo uses.

i would like to know how these and other army surplus kit compares to much more expensive products from paramo etc.

Well Matt, British Army kit is basic & robust. You dont get fancy buckles or bits of velcro or plastic clips for those 101 gadgets walkers carry but it is well made and does its job - it certainly kept me warm & dry for over 10 years in all parts of the world & in all weathers on active service and still does the job now.

My first staff sergeant told me that once you accept that skin is waterproof it doesn't matter if you get wet (as you get older, common sense & a desire for comfort overcome this idea).

Smocks & gore-tex coats are generally unlined, but liners are available. Cold climate combats are thick, lined & super warm which means they are heavier & do not dry as quickly - trops (tropical issue) are light & dry in minutes if you get caught in rain - and standard fatigues are an excellent compromise being both windproof and fast drying.

What Richard says about personnel buying civilian kit is true in certain aspects - primarily boots and base layer garments - and you always had the squaddie desparate to flash the latest bit of gucci kit at his mates.

If in doubt, pop along to a surplus shop & try some out - at surplus prices the worst that will happen is you will have a pair of trousers for painting & decorating or gardening in at minimal cost.

Craghoppers Lined Kiwi Trousers

Just an update on the Craghoppers lined kiwi trousers

I've been wearing these for the last week in the cold weather we've been experiencing & can throughly recommend them

I'ts been very cold with daytime temperatures only reaching 4-5 degrees & with the windchill probably below freezing & at no time was I cold & sometimes when the sun was out they were a bit too warm! ,this when I was walking & when stationary they were just right

The only criticism I have is that the zips on the pockets are a bit small & fiddly but it wouldn't put me off buying some more

Regards Bish. :t:

Corvus Corax said:
Well Matt, British Army kit is basic & robust. You dont get fancy buckles or bits of velcro or plastic clips for those 101 gadgets walkers carry but it is well made and does its job - it certainly kept me warm & dry for over 10 years in all parts of the world & in all weathers on active service and still does the job now.

My first staff sergeant told me that once you accept that skin is waterproof it doesn't matter if you get wet (as you get older, common sense & a desire for comfort overcome this idea).

Smocks & gore-tex coats are generally unlined, but liners are available. Cold climate combats are thick, lined & super warm which means they are heavier & do not dry as quickly - trops (tropical issue) are light & dry in minutes if you get caught in rain - and standard fatigues are an excellent compromise being both windproof and fast drying.

What Richard says about personnel buying civilian kit is true in certain aspects - primarily boots and base layer garments - and you always had the squaddie desparate to flash the latest bit of gucci kit at his mates.

If in doubt, pop along to a surplus shop & try some out - at surplus prices the worst that will happen is you will have a pair of trousers for painting & decorating or gardening in at minimal cost.
Spot on Corvus I have spent many a day in a ditch with Army Gear never let me down,just have to make sure you have a plastic bag in your pocket.

POP

Bish said:
Just an update on the Craghoppers lined kiwi trousers

I like Graghopper gear, I use a jacket & Tshirts from them.
Just got their Solardry zip off trousers - really nice - tons of pockets.

Got them from Field & Trek for £19 - they are full price this week :-C

I've happily worn Craghopper Kiwi pants for about 8 years, but the last couple of pairs have been crappily made and burst at the groin at inopportune moments. Maybe just my bad luck, but almost every single button fell off a new craghopper shirt on a three week holiday last year. I'm giving the brand the swerve from now on.....

Cheery-o from across the pond. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents...or pence as it were.

I like pants that have a full elastic waistband with a built-in web belt. I wear a waist pack to carry my field guide and some writing implements, and if my pants are loose at all, the weight of the waist pack starts pulling my pants down, and before you know it I look like some ghetto-ized teenager.

Grammici makes some nice pants with a full elastic waist and web belt -- both in a soft rapidly drying synthetic material and in cotton duck. Other outdoor outfitters carry similar pants.

US Army BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform) would probably work well for some people. I find the pants too tight around the butt and legs. They are very adjustable, though, and the material is a light but strong cotton material. The US Army Field Jacket used to be considered de rigeur in the early 70s when I was growing up. That jacket with a pair of Levi 501s could definitely work for the groovy birder. The Field Jacket comes with a button-out liner for extra warmth.

My impression is that for a lot of you Brits, your birdwatching experience is mostly in hides and kind of sitting and waiting. As opposed to the tramping around that a lot of Americans seem to do -- especially here in the wild west. Although I don't know -- perhaps you tramp around the moors and such. At any rate, clothing for sitting and waiting -- as hunters and fishermen will attest to -- needs to be warm, dry, and comfortable.

Where I am from, it is usually not cold enough even in the winter to wear a sweater or jumper all day.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back