• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stay on case for Fieldscope ED50? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a place to get a case for the Nikon ED50 in the USA? I've heard about the Cley Spy case, which I can't even find available on UK sites anymore.

I'd also be interested in modding the Grippa case to work with a tripod, but I can't even find it for sale anywhere!

What do all you ED50 owners in America do?

- Cedar

There has not been any good aftermarket case options for the ED50.
There are some posts about the Cley Spy case on the site, not positive.

If you scroll back or do a search, you will see some posts. Go back to
Oct. 2011, on this Nikon subforum, and I posted about how I made a SOC that works for me.

Welcome to the Birdforum, I hope you can get some ideas on here, the ED50 is
a very nice small scope.

Jerry

Thanks for the tips! I did read a ton of discussions on these forums and elsewhere before buying the ED50, and so far I'm quite pleased! A nice little scope. But I do want to give it a wee bit more protection!

Thanks for the tips! I did read a ton of discussions on these forums and elsewhere before buying the ED50, and so far I'm quite pleased! A nice little scope. But I do want to give it a wee bit more protection!

Nikon did offer a stay on case for the ED50 which works reasonably.
It seems similar to the Grippa case offered in the UK.
The main gripe I have with it is that the case straps over the quick release fitting, so it is a bother to get the scope on a tripod when the case is fitted.
If memory serves, a more competent user had posted a modification of that case on this forum which freed the fitting by repositioning the strap. I'd do that too, if I had the skill.
Note that this case is no longer on the Nikon site, gone with the ED50 into Discontinued Limbo. Too bad, because it works very well to help hand hold this amazing little scope.

Yes I think I've seen some reference to such a case. But it seems finding one now would probably take months of searching and I'll probably just make something myself involving camo wrap, foam, etc.

Yes I think I've seen some reference to such a case. But it seems finding one now would probably take months of searching and I'll probably just make something myself involving camo wrap, foam, etc.

You could use InFocus UK for the Grippa case here, but not cheap:
http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/nikon.html#telescopes

Or you could just hack up the case Nikon shipped with the scope.
For mine, I unstitched the front cover cushion and reconnected it with Velcro, similarly cut a flap for the focus knob, this worked but was admittedly a hideous hack. Fortunately, Nikon was still offering the stay on case, a more elegant alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back