• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa (1 Viewer)

oreed

Hi,

I am a walker and like to observe nature. I often have my DSLR strapped around my neck whilst walking with my rucksack and walking poles. Therefore I was thinking about compact pair of bin's so that I could fit them into the side of my rucksack when not being used. This in mind, and often walking in Scotland waterproof bin's is a must. I would like to purchase a pair for under £300 therefore I was looking at the KOWA 10x25 BD.

I can find very few reviews about these (http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com being one) and only a couple of places in the UK that sell them. i.e. Amazon, Parkcameras and focusoptics.

Could anyone advise as to these bin's and any other brand to look at as a comparison, and should I spend my money on something a little larger which has better twilight factor but may be an inferior quality? (KOWA 10x25 BD twilight factor is 15.8).

Any help and advise would be welcomed.
Thanks for your help.

Pass. The 10x25 is one of Kowa's worst optics. They have issues with the diopter adjustments. Try the Pentax 9x28 LV.

Last edited:
An 8x25 reverse porro gives the best optics for the price, and is not too dim. Opticron has one, I forget the model name. I have a Vortex 8x26 pair.

There really are not many 10x medium size pairs available. If you want to go 42mm, then there are plenty of 10x42 models.

There are some 8x28mm roofs, but it is a bit of a search. Have not found my ideal there yet.

Do they sell Bushnell there? If you can live wih 7 power, the Bushnell 7 x 26 Elite is one of the best small binoculars out there. It should be under 300 Pds. Sells here for around $250.00.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-7x26-custom-compact-binocular

The Pentax 9 x 28 LV is also a fine binocular as RJM noted. I have both of these. Bushnell has a wider FOV and is better out to the edge of the view and has a larger exit pupil. Pentax has excellent eye relief if you wear glasses. It is also water proof. Bushnell isn't but has rain guard on it's lenses, should be OK in rain if you keep it covered.

Bob

Last edited:
I use Nikon Travelite EX 9 x 25s and they are great quality and waterproof. I live in Scotland and have never had a problem with them and the weather. They're also widely available on an auction site for around the £100 mark. Make sure that you buy the EX model which is the waterproof version

I've a pair of opticron 8x21 dba oasis and they are an excellant compact bin with a wide fov 7.5 degree. I find that they are a great size not being too small and have a nice feel. Images are very bright in low light conditions but I'm slowly learning that its our own eyes that are the weaklink in the optics. I totally recommend these bins.

I've a pair of opticron 8x21 dba oasis and they are an excellant compact bin with a wide fov 7.5 degree. I find that they are a great size not being too small and have a nice feel. Images are very bright in low light conditions but I'm slowly learning that its our own eyes that are the weaklink in the optics. I totally recommend these bins.

The 8 x 32 Opticron DISCOVERY WP PC has a similar spec but with a 4mm exit pupil rather than 2.6mm (over twice the area). It is 60g heavier (18% more) and slightly larger but it is half the price. I would recommend anyone look at this when considering a compact. Just how small do you want?

Steve

I have just bought a pair of Hawke 8x36 ED's and therefore am now looking to alter my budget for compacts. I have two in mind they are the Hawke 8/10x25 Frontier PC (£100) or Bushnell Trophy 8/10x27 (£60).
I have heard good things about the Bushnell trophy, especially for the price, but has anyone tried the Hawke compacts and could give me any advise?

O.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back