• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys, I will see first how much is needed, additionally I have an IF Kern Arrau 6X24 in a nice leather case I want to get cleaned prior to sale - this looks like a job for Company 7. Leica servicing a Leitz? I will have to do my inquiries this week.

Thanks again,

A.W

P.S. I am really liking the Ultravid HD 8X42

If the eye cups work like the ones on my Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA they have a screw on base. Replacements may no longer be available.

I wonder if fold down types like the ones on the Nikon SEs or E2s could be modified to fit on the base?

Bob

Jerry,

The Leitz will be here this week, and were described as a bit cloudy, I have no idea what they look like, I could be surprised one way or another. By the way I am enjoying the 8X42 HD very nice glass.

Kevin,

I am surprised that Leica would work on an older Leitz glass, that would be another option, thanks. I wonder if company 7 would also work on some older Wild and Kern optics,i.e old transits.

Bob,

Nikon would not sell me extra eyecups for the SEs, they have to be sent in, I wish I could buy two sets somewhere.

A.w.

Jerry,

The Leitz will be here this week, and were described as a bit cloudy, I have no idea what they look like, I could be surprised one way or another. By the way I am enjoying the 8X42 HD very nice glass.

Kevin,

I am surprised that Leica would work on an older Leitz glass, that would be another option, thanks. I wonder if company 7 would also work on some older Wild and Kern optics,i.e old transits.

Bob,

Nikon would not sell me extra eyecups for the SEs, they have to be sent in, I wish I could buy two sets somewhere.

A.w.

Leica does what they can with Leitz bins, so long as they have parts.

I second the recommendation of Suddarth Optical Repair.

When it comes to Nikon and eyecups for the SE, you have to ask for eyecups for the Superior E (_any_ model that they might have in stock, as they are the same for 8x32, 10x42...), not for the Premiere SE. Nikon has the Superior E listed as a different model than the Premiere SE even though they are the same thing. When I last inquired, they required that the bin be sent in for SE eyecup replacement, whereas when I asked for Superior E eyecups, they sent me some for free. The part number that you want to ask for is #7636. If you want to read more about this crazy situation, here is what I posted at the time that I learned this
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3064820&highlight=nikon+superior+eyecup#post3064820

--AP

The Leitz will be here this week, and were described as a bit cloudy, I have no idea what they look like, I could be surprised one way or another.

Leica supplied me with rubber Leitz Trinovid eyecups about twelve years ago. They were crazy expensive, I think around $25 each.

Make sure the "cloudiness" is not from tarnished prisms. I don't think Leica has the parts to fix that anymore. Even if they do I recall seeing a thread on replacing tarnished Leitz Trinovid prisms about ten years ago at Cloudynights. I believe the cost was around $800 then. It might take many decades, but all those old Trinovids (and other unsealed binoculars with silver mirror coating) will eventually go dark from tarnished prisms.

Henry

Last edited:
Alexis, Thanks for the heads up regarding the Nikon eyecups.

Henry,

Well we shall see how cloudy they are when they arrive.

A.W.

Can tarnished prisms with silver coating be resilvered, with a protectve overcoat maybe?

I think that the Tamron SP 500mm f/8 mirror lens may have silver coatings with overcoat.
These are around 30 years old now and the ones I see still look good.

Often decades old mirror lenses still seem to have at least good coatings, although a Nikon 500mm f/5 one I had was tarnished even 30 years ago. Optically very good but tarnished coatings.

The Amplivid 6x24 has a fine view even with low transmission due to mirrors.

Congratulations on your latest purchase dries1 - I diagnose a serious case of binomania! Where are you going to store your growing collection?

I too was wondering how difficult it might be to replace the mirror element of a Schmidt-Pechan or Uppendahl prism with a new silvered mirror - or indeed a dielectric mirror?

Congratulations on your latest purchase dries1 - I diagnose a serious case of binomania! Where are you going to store your growing collection?

In my office, in a wood book shelf dry and comfortable. Binomania is here, but I really love the older ones too. All my recent purchases (except the Leica Utravid HD, Meopta 7X42, and Nikon MHG 8X42) are second hand, and I am enjoying the view,

I await the Leitz 7X35 , I hope it is not so bad, after reading Henry s potential scenario, I am anxious to see it, hoping for the best.

A.W.

Based on initial observations from a family member, the glass is not a 7X35 but printed on the tubes 7X42B , 140m/1000m, Leitz Wetzlar Germany, non armored version. They said the view is on the clearish side through both tubes, however when they looked through the objectives, a couple of spots, so looks like mold,.....errrrrr - perhaps I can save the prisms, hopefully.
They were packed and will be shipped soon. At least the area of storage is dry. Will provide pics when They arrive.

A.W.

Last edited:
Based on initial observations from a family member, the glass is not a 7X35 but printed on the tubes 7X42B , 140m/1000m, Leitz Wetzlar Germany, non armored version. They said the view is on the clearish side through both tubes, however when they looked through the objectives, a couple of spots, so looks like mold,.....errrrrr - perhaps I can save the prisms, hopefully.
They were packed and will be shipped soon. At least the area of storage is dry. Will provide pics when They arrive.

A.W.

It should be this one:

https://www.allbinos.com/1639-Leitz_Trinovid_7x42_B-binoculars_specifications.html

I have the green armored version.

I hope you aren't thinking about taking it apart to "save the prisms.":eek!:

Bob

Leitz or Leica offered a rubber armored 7x35 roof prism glass which was wonderfully handy, even if not that impressive optically.
I'd love to have a modern day version, but even the old specimens appear scarce. Well worth looking for in any case.

I hope you aren't thinking about taking it apart to "save the prisms."

Bob,

No, I am hoping when I get the bino to send it to Cory Suddarth or Company 7 for a refurbish, I am hoping to actually view with it. I am anxious to get it.
A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back