• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron IS 60 WP (1 Viewer)

Phil Owen

Have finally decided to for this model over the IS50 or MM2 but just a quick question before actually buying.

What is the better eyepiece for this scope?? 15-45 or 18-54???

Thanks

Thanks for that.

Sorry, but I should have put 18-54 IS eyepiece or 15-45 IS Pro Eyepiece??

Any ideas???

The pro is definately better than the IS. I found the field of view poor and the image dull in comparison. However if you can stretch to it try the HDF zoom which is better still, though you will also need an adapter collar for the HDF lens to fit, usually this will nbe included in the price if you buy the lens and body together. I used this combination for quite a while.

If you are not hung up on getting a zoom, opticron do a fixed ep for the IS range - not sure if this is 25 or 27x but I found it worked very well on this scope.

If you can, try them out before you buy, only then can you decide what is best for you.

Perry

My budget is around £200.00 to £250.00 so the HD is not an option unfortunately.

I think the IS 60 is probably the best option and this would also include a stay-on case for the money.

I am now left with the decision of whether to go for 15-45 pro eyepiece or 18-54 ordinary IS eyepiece?

The 15-45 is slightly more expensive but doesn't give as much power so I am still undecided.

Would the 15-45 pro eyepiece give a sharp image up to 45x???

Any other options???

Cheers

My budget is around £200.00 to £250.00 so the HD is not an option unfortunately.

Cheers

Hi Phill

My first combo was the old IS 60 (not wp) and the hdf zoom,although the zoom cost more than the scope ,when I "upgraded" to an es 80 ed I alredy had the zoom , so if you could stretch the budget it may pay in the future.

PH

I think the IS 60 is probably the best option and this would also include a stay-on case for the money.

I am now left with the decision of whether to go for 15-45 pro eyepiece or 18-54 ordinary IS eyepiece?

The 15-45 is slightly more expensive but doesn't give as much power so I am still undecided.

Would the 15-45 pro eyepiece give a sharp image up to 45x???

Any other options???

Cheers

I only used the pro in the shop for a short period but found that it started to drop off at about 30x in terms of brightness and sharpness.

As mentioned before, the fixed eye piece is certainly another option, when it comes to bird id I doubt there will be much that you can't ID at 25x fixed than you can at 45x on the zoom.

If you can, you really should try a few eye pieces to compare. What suits my eyes and viewing preferences may not suit yours.

Perry

Tried the scope out and must agree with Chris on this one.

The 18-54x Zoom Eyepiece was actually quite impressive. Although the image at 54x was a bit darker, the overall view was very good and there didn't appear to be the "shake" that you find at higher magnification with other scopes. Anyone agree??

Overall very impressed and have ordered this scope now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back