• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR 80ED or ES 80ED? (1 Viewer)

Westy,

If the extra couple of hundred pound is not an issue then without doubt the HR 80 GA ED is the scope to go for. For starters the HR ED benefits from a 5-element APO lens system with 2 ED elements which will deliver a better performance than the 3-element single ED lens system of the ES ED. And as a result will resolve finer detail than the ES ED especially at higher magnifications.

When considering the two c/w SDL eyepiece bear in mind that the HR has a zoom range of 24-72 whereas the ES 80 ED has 20-60. As a result it appears that the ES has a wider FOV at both ends of the zoom range.

Weight the HR is 112grammes heavier than the ES 80 ED but as there is more glass elements in the HR that is hardly surprising.

Best thing to do is to test them side by side and make a decision that way.

There is an Optics demonstration near you on 6th December at Attenborough Nature Centre where you will be able to test both side by side.

Hi Westy,

There are also a good retail offers running on both scopes currently with Opticron.

HR 80 ED comes with a free 42830 Birdwatcher's Pro Tripod when you bought with the SDL Zoom eyepiece. The tripod head is a Manfrotto 701 HDV, which is an amazingly smooth tripod head for birding.

ES 80 GA ED comes with a free BTO Membership until Jan 2011. When you buy the Scope body with either an SDL Zoom or HDF eyepiece.

More details here;

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/promotions.htm

Hope this helps,

Rob B :)

does anyone know how this scope performs in comparison to the nikon ed82a?

(the hr ed that is)

I take it that this is the best quality opticron scope at the moment?

regards?

Last edited:
Mark - The HR 80 is indeed the top of the Opticron range in terms of performance.

Not sure we've ever had anyone do a independent comparison between the two but I guess Rob or Chris will have seen them in the field to compare.

Hopefully there are some non-Opticron employees out there in Birdforum land that can also comment :)

Pete
Sales and Marketing - Opticron

thanks pete!
I started another thread on this subject, and have had some response.

I have looked through the nikon several times, but never the opticron.

If i want to compare i will have to take a drive to WHE and have a look.

regards. mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back