• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron 50mm Class Scope At Birdfair (1 Viewer)

Graham_t

Nobody has these scopes in stock at the moment as all of the initial batch sold out at Birdfair. Stock will be arriving at stores from 20th October onwards.

@kristoffer: The SDL zoom has a more complex and better quality optical design but a clear benefit is that it retains focus throughout its zoom range whereas the HDF does not and must be re-focussed at each change

Cheers, Pete

Hi,
sherwood got the straight version in stock
Graham_t

Nobody has these scopes in stock at the moment as all of the initial batch sold out at Birdfair. Stock will be arriving at stores from 20th October onwards.

Ok thanks for the info! Would you recommend the SDL zoom instead of the fixed eps? I think a fixed around 25x sounds good, but at the same time I love the zoom on my swarovski and I am not sure how much FOV i lose by buying the zoom instead of the wide fixed.

I am very close to decide a model for my second scope, check this out if you got time.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=153736

@kristoffer: The SDL zoom has a more complex and better quality optical design but a clear benefit is that it retains focus throughout its zoom range whereas the HDF does not and must be re-focussed at each change

Cheers, Pete

I just got an email from Opticron and the focal length of this scope is 275mm which I think is about the same as the Nikon 50ed. I'm extremely interested in this scope but still having a hard time believing it will perform better than the Nikon 50ed that I have.

Cheers, Pete

Pete
How does this new scope compare to the standard mm 52 v2 with an sdl zoom
that is what i have at present and would like to upgrade .
Thanks Harold

There is no comparison!! The GS 52 ED is brighter, wider FOV & sharper all encompassed in a waterproof body and 2.5 metres close focus. There is a trade off though, it is a little heavier

There is no comparison!! The GS 52 ED is brighter, wider FOV & sharper all encompassed in a waterproof body and 2.5 metres close focus. There is a trade off though, it is a little heavier

Thanks chris for that i will be looking into purchasing a one in the near future.
Harold

Thanks Chris I'll take your word for it and order one as long as I can get one shipped to the US without paying too much for it. Sounds like you really like the scope. The extra weight should be too much of an issue for me especially if its as good as you say it is.

Hi Pete,
I really like the sound of this scope, but wonder why no higher power eyepieces are recommended - is it possible to get a x60 or similar on it - I don't really see the use of a x20 when you have good quality bins.

Also, as I live in Northern Greece (Wetland Kerkini) I am wondering about someone who will ship to Greece or a shop in the Balkans somewhere I can go to - Sofia is closer than Athens for me. Beograd is a nice trip too - but I'd go further to be able to test it before buying.

Gordon

The HDF zoom that is tending to sell with this scope is 12-36x so gives a good range of magnification above the typical birding bin (we mostly sell 8x to birders in the UK).

There are eyepieces up to 57x available for the scope but there's the usual FOV and brightness trade off associated with that increase in magnification (FOV is 20m compared to 29m at max mag on the HDF zoom). That eyepiece is the 40861 retailing at £99 inc VAT.

In terms of buying the product, we have no stockists near to you sadly (one day I'll persuade the boss to let me go on a sales trip to southern Europe :)). But, you can buy from us on sale or return - the return postage would probably be no more than you'd spend in travelling to and from Sofia or Athens! Price for delivery to you from Opticron would be around £25. Scope is still £249, eyepieces from £57 to £229, stay on case £50.

Feel free to PM if you want to discuss further!

Cheers, Pete

P.S. If you know a reputable optics dealer in Greece that we should be talking to - let me know!

The HDF zoom that is tending to sell with this scope is 12-36x so gives a good range of magnification above the typical birding bin (we mostly sell 8x to birders in the UK).
OK - I have been using x10 for 30 years and so I'm kind of hooked - I still love my old Swift Audubon 10x50 but they don't make them anymore - anyway How much is the 12-36x
There are eyepieces up to 57x available for the scope but there's the usual FOV and brightness trade off associated with that increase in magnification (FOV is 20m compared to 29m at max mag on the HDF zoom). That eyepiece is the 40861 retailing at £99 inc VAT.
That sounds OK to me
In terms of buying the product, we have no stockists near to you sadly (one day I'll persuade the boss to let me go on a sales trip to southern Europe :)). But, you can buy from us on sale or return - the return postage would probably be no more than you'd spend in travelling to and from Sofia or Athens! Price for delivery to you from Opticron would be around £25. Scope is still £249, eyepieces from £57 to £229, stay on case £50.
That sounds OK too so I'd be looking at 423 plus the 12-36x - if you can email me on mrgordonramel (at) yahoo.com a full quote and a postal address I write you a letter with a cheque in sterling - obviously I wouldn't expect delivery until after the cheque cleared - do you have an online shop i can go to.
P.S. If you know a reputable optics dealer in Greece that we should be talking to - let me know!
If there was a reputable optics dealer in Greece I wouldn't be buying from the UK - trouble is there are very few birders here - I have even toyed with the idea of setting up such a shop myself, but I want to travel too much now, maybe in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back