• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid 8x32 focus question (1 Viewer)

Fastlane

Shopping for an 8x32 brings my short list to include the Ultravid and EL.
The main negative comments about the Ultravid seem to be the stiff focus. Was that something in just the early production or just some bins that has since been corrected? Has the focus since smoothed out, after some use, for those who found it to be somewhat stiff initially?

Leica does not lubricate their focus mechanisms, they use a good metal on metal gearing, brass and something, that will not react or wear too quickly. This makes the focus identical in all temperatures, lubed bins can slow as it gets very cold. Some do pop out with a grainy feel, most are nice, not perfectly silky, but consistent all the time. Whether you prefer it is up to you, but there is nothing bad about the design, it is merely a differenrt approach.

Fastlane said:
Shopping for an 8x32 brings my short list to include the Ultravid and EL.
The main negative comments about the Ultravid seem to be the stiff focus. QUOTE]

I'll add a second negative comment about them - I found them to be a little too small to fit comfortably in my hands and hence I did not find them enjoyable to observe with. So if you have not tried a pair yet I suggest that you do before buying them. I've never had a similar problem with the Leica 8x32 BA/BNs and I also like the ergonomics of the Leica BR Ultravid 42mm and 50mm models.

Ordered the Ultravid 8x32 and it arrived today. This is the first one I've seen and instantly liked it. Yesterday the SLC 8x30 arrived and it's going back today. Although the SLC is very good, the price difference was not enough to justify keeping it. If I kept both, I can envision myself invariably reaching for the Ultravid.

The Ultravid focus is fine out of the box. Compared to the SLC, the view has more contrast, sharpness, brightness, and depth. The rainguard and obj lens covers fit snugly. The eyepieces extend to two positions, separated by two click settings, that firmly keep them from closing. The padded section of the neckstrap is curved to fit around the neck more comfortably.

The protective nylon case has more padding, is designed to carry with a belt loop, and has a fast opening, clip-locked flap (instead of a zipper and no belt loop). There are attachments for a carrying strap on the Ultravid case, but no strap was included. It can be carried with the neck strap attached to the binoculars, inside the case, with the strap going out along the edges of the closed flap. I would not attach the neck strap to the case instead of the binoculars. The Ultravid rainguard attaches to one strap. It seems to fit equally well, whether the eyecups are extended or retracted. The obj covers fit snugly.

The size of the Ultravid is small, but does not seem too small for my hands. I have larger than average size hands, if palming a basketball is an indicator.
I'll try to find an EL8x32 to compare and maybe some others. So far, the Ultravid 8x32 are close to perfection for my needs.

Last edited:
Good buy. Well chosen. I think you will find that the Ultravid outperforms the EL as well, and is a good deal smaller, but the 32mm ELs are a joy to hold.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back