• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flowers To Attract Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

emc

Someone once posted the type of flowers I can plant to attract hummingbirds. I'm unable to find that post now, so if anyone can tell me what I can plant to attract them (I'm in southern Ontario, Canada) or direct me to where that post can be found it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bird Poster Art
http://www.accessv.com/~email/art

Ontario, Canada would normally equal Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Much of the following info is from "Handbook of the Birds of the World" vol. 5:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird feeds mostly on red and orange flowers. Prefered plant-genera includes Campsis, Impatiens, Malvaviscus, Aesculus, Ribes, Aquilegia, Monarda and Macranthera. My knowledge of these plants is rather small, but they all look quite beautyful (from the pic's I found just by using the photo-search in google). So, if they can manage the Canadian temperatures, they would look very nice in the garden... the hummers would just be an added plus!
In the winter-range small insects etc. are a very important food-source for Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. Even when suitable nectar is available, as much as 70% of the diet may still be small insect, spiders and similar.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back