• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking Island Scrub Jay on Santa Cruz Island (1 Viewer)

BobTag

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be birding in SoCal in early April and am planning to visit Santa Cruz Island to see the endemic Island Scrub Jay.

Can anyone give any recent info on where the best areas are on the island to find the jay, and the best way to get across?

My current understanding is that the Prisoner's, mid-Island landing is best?

Many thanks,

BT

I did this in 2001 and I remember that we got the boat from Ventura but I can't recall any specific sites on the island. I have a vague recollection that it took us a while to find one (possibly because we didn't have any good gen). Apologies for only being very slightly helpful.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if many people swing by this part of the Forums very often, but thought I'd thank Clive and Marie for your help, and let you know how I got one, in case anyone searches "Island Scrub Jay" again in future.

We travelled with Island Packers, and you must go to Prisoner's Harbour (the second stop), not Scorpion to see the Jay. On the trip over I found 3 Humpback Whales, and the crew kindly slowed down and took us in to closer range of these fantastic animals, giving great views to all on-board. Interesting seabirds seen included 2 Sooty Shearwaters, 2 Common Murres, 3 frustrating small dark auklet species that were just too far away to nail 100%, 5+ Pigeon Guillemots close in to the island, and best of all 2 Xantus's Murrelets between the two Santa Cruz Island harbours.

On the island I easily found 3 Island Scrub Jays around the ranch next to the landing, which gave good views. Other birds seen in the area included local races of Song Sparrow & Allen's Hummingbird, plus good numbers of Anna's Hummingbirds and Bewick's Wren. An immature Bald Eagle was briefly overhead.

From the harbour I found another 2 Humpbacks, and saw a further 3 from the boat on the return journey. 2 small parties of Californian Sea-Lions passed by, but the highlight was a pod of c.500 Common Dolphins that spent some time around the boat, delighting all on-board. A really delightful trip, and one that's highly recommended.

Cheers & Good Birding, BobTag.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back