• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Xmas present (1 Viewer)

Hi Birdbrains,

My wife wants some binoculars for Xmas to check out the birds when we are out in the country. I want something that is decentish for a beginner and around £100 mark.

I've been looking at Nikon ones on Amazon and there are a few there in that price range. Am I better off getting 8x40 or 10x50, or something else. And can any recommend any others brands that are better value?

In return I'll give you this (probably obvious) bit of birding advice. If you want to see Red Kites, go near Thame in Oxfordshire, UK. I guarantee you'll see loads, often about 50 yards in the air in groups. It's actually scary.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

If you check with the guys on the Binocular forum, I think you may be advised to go for something like 8x32 rather than 10x... they can be rather heavy.

D

Hi Geoff

You haven't said whether the binoculars are to be a surprise present or bought with your wife's knowledge. If the latter is the case I would definitely suggest that you get your wife to try some out at a good optics retailer as they all suit different eyes.

One model that immediately comes to mind is the new Opticron Oregon 8x32 LE WP which, conveniently, sells for about £100. It has had some very good reviews, although someone here tried and pair and couldn't get on with them. Hence the suggestion to try them out before buying if possible.

Edit. I've just seen postcardcv beat me to it with the same suggestion.

Ron

Thanks everyone, that was some very good, quick advice! Cheers.

They are a surprise so will have to get them and see.

Haven't found too many sites selling the Opticrons mentioned above. They are £99 on Cameraworld, is that a good place to buy from or are there better?

Haven't found too many sites selling the Opticrons mentioned above. They are £99 on Cameraworld, is that a good place to buy from or are there better?

I don't know anything about Cameraworld so I can't comment. Cley Spy sell them at £99 (I don't think the price will vary much as it is low to start with). Cley Spy have representatives who anonymously frequent this forum and if you phoned them I'm sure they could supply you with a pair which they checked before despatch to make sure they are good 'uns. (I don't work for them by the way. I'm just a satisfied customer.)

Edit. I see that In Focus now list them as well for £99.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks again, I'll use one of those 2 sites!

Final question, what bird books you recommend? Preferably one with lots of nice pics to identify them with.

Final question, what bird books you recommend? Preferably one with lots of nice pics to identify them with.

I doubt it;):-O

erm... Collins Birds of Britain and Europe is the one generally recommended (I think it's called that... it's in my car LOL

D

Last edited:

I don't know if you noticed the edit to my last post, that In Focus now list them. They might have a branch near you which means that you could return with your wife to choose a different pair if there was a problem.

Regarding bird books, I got a free copy of the RSPB Handbook of British Birds when I joined the organisation this year. It is pretty good and includes alternative drawings of each bird with plenty of other information. I personally prefer drawings to photographs.

Another very popular one is Collins Bird Guide, with the black covers. It looks good but for me there is a almost too much information on each page, some of which is very small. There is a bigger version of it for use at home but I think it is out of print at the moment awaiting a new edition.

I'm sure you will get other suggestions.

Ron

Cheers, that looks like a great book!

I meant "final question for now" lol

I'm sure I'll be back again, really good website.

Cheers everyone for your help

I agree that Collins is the best field guide around, but it can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner. If your wife is just starting out I'd recommend the Mitchell Beazley pocket guide, my wife swears by it - http://www.thebookplace.com/bookpla...328043+&form_ob=sort_date/d&x=16&y=7&m=1&dc=1

If she's not already a member why not get her membership to the RSPB, you'll get a bird book as a joining gift, plus she'll get a quarterly magazine and entry to hundreds of sites. http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/join/gift.asp

I have Collins, John Gooders 'Kingfisher' Birds of Britain & Europe, and The Hamlyn Guide - Birds of Britain & Europe.
The last two were bought from National Trust shops at £3-99, the Kingfisher book is good but is as heavy as Collins.
The Hamlyn book (Lars Svensson etc) is lighter, more pocket sized and is the one I take with.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back