• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser binoculars (1 Viewer)

birchall

Brendan Power
I am looking for a cheap pair of backup binocs to keep under the car seat. I currently use a pair of 8x25 Nikon Travelite V for this purpose but find their light gathering ability a bit low especially at this time of year. I often drive to and eat lunch at a beach near my work so 10x would be preferable to 8x for distant birds. Any cheap porro prisms for under €100 (circa £66) with 40 or 50mm objectives would suit.

I had a look through a pair of Bresser porros (8x40 or 50) one day and was amazed at the clarity as the owner said they cost him less than €50 (£33 sterling). My Zeiss conquest cost me over 10 times that amount. I did not see anything like 10 times difference in quality. He said he did a lot of research and concluded that Bresser deliver more bang for your buck than any other brand at the bottom end of the range.
Can anybody offer any advice on Bresser?
I understand their astronomical telescopes are fairly highly regarded.

I had a pair of Bressers as car bins some years ago, after a few weeks the collimation went wonky. I kept the bag. A cheap 10x bin that is highly-spoken of is the Nikon Action....I had a quick look through one recently and was impressed, but I´ve never owned one. They´re available in most high-street camera stores.

I am looking for a cheap pair of backup binocs to keep under the car seat. I currently use a pair of 8x25 Nikon Travelite V for this purpose but find their light gathering ability a bit low especially at this time of year. I often drive to and eat lunch at a beach near my work so 10x would be preferable to 8x for distant birds. Any cheap porro prisms for under €100 (circa £66) with 40 or 50mm objectives would suit.

I had a look through a pair of Bresser porros (8x40 or 50) one day and was amazed at the clarity as the owner said they cost him less than €50 (£33 sterling). My Zeiss conquest cost me over 10 times that amount. I did not see anything like 10 times difference in quality. He said he did a lot of research and concluded that Bresser deliver more bang for your buck than any other brand at the bottom end of the range.
Can anybody offer any advice on Bresser?
I understand their astronomical telescopes are fairly highly regarded.

I recently bought a 7x42 Meade montana from the Meade outlet place for $160
Im amazed at how good they are .
Reason i mention this is because i notice that the eye piece cover has the word Bresser on it.
I got a Nikon action for my camper but didnt like it .Gave it to one of my grand kids .
The action extreme is much better.
Brian.

I just looked up the meade montana Amazon UK .They call them Bresser montanas.
They look exactly the same as my Meades but they want 327 pounds for them in the UK.
What a ripoff .
Makes my $160 includig tax from Meade a steal & they are very good bins.
Shows what a bit of consumer research can do.
Brian.

Well it so happens Lidls are doing their £10 offer on Bresser 10x50 bins soon.

I bought these last time round and they are out of collimation but my father in laws aren't.

As they have a 5 year guarantee I'll be sending them back for allignment - just haven't got round to it yet.

Ideal for the car at that price. I went through the stores stock to find two good uns last time as qc is a bit naff at that price.

Nev

Thanks to all for your replies and advice.

On way to work this morning I nipped in to local Lidl and bought the Bresser 10x50 Porros for €18 (approx £12 sterling) (£2 higher in Ireland than UK as usual). I tested briefly in shop. Quality seemed OK, no collimation problems. I tested briefly again when I got home and closest focus I could get was full length of my hallway - about 30 feet. Not a problem as I need them for long range work. Hope to do a daylight test tomorrow. If collimation goes wonky as some of your replies suggest it will I will bring straight back to Lidle for a refund. Not worth the hassle and postage sending them for repair.

On a whim I also bought the Bresser 90mm scope as a car backup for €150. Will probably open it on Xmas morning as a treat. Given the tripod and camera adaptor that comes with it, it seems just about a worthwhile purchase even if scope is not up to much.

Thanks to all for your replies and advice.

On way to work this morning I nipped in to local Lidl and bought the Bresser 10x50 Porros for €18 (approx £12 sterling) (£2 higher in Ireland than UK as usual). I tested briefly in shop. Quality seemed OK, no collimation problems. I tested briefly again when I got home and closest focus I could get was full length of my hallway - about 30 feet. Not a problem as I need them for long range work. Hope to do a daylight test tomorrow. If collimation goes wonky as some of your replies suggest it will I will bring straight back to Lidle for a refund. Not worth the hassle and postage sending them for repair.

On a whim I also bought the Bresser 90mm scope as a car backup for €150. Will probably open it on Xmas morning as a treat. Given the tripod and camera adaptor that comes with it, it seems just about a worthwhile purchase even if scope is not up to much.
Congrats, I hope the scope is good. I think a few years ago BF members who bought it reckoned it was perfectly usable, and some even posted a few photos they´d taken through it. Did you have a look at the Lidl Bresser roof binos for 120 euro?

Sancho,

No. Hadn't time as I was late for work and the security man wasn't happy about me opening boxes. That wouldn't stop me though if I were interested in them.

If I were going to spend that amount of money I would buy a pair of Nikon Action 10X50 - a proven pair of binocs from a reliable manufacturer. I can buy them from www.microglobe.co.uk for £69 sterling - roughly the same price including postage as €120 and a much safer bet. I bought my Nikon Travelite from them and they were easily the best deal at the time.

I tried the Bresser at the beach yesterday lunch hour. Image clarity and brightness were good - very good for binocs of their price. Two things irritated me slightly:
1. I found it difficult to keep image in line with my eyes and constantly had to adjust position of binocs relative to my eyes. Exit pupil diam should not be a problem with 10 X 50. I had eyecups fully extended. I do not wear glasses.
2. The focusing mechanism works the opposite way to any other binocs I've used i.e clockwise (index finger moving to right) gives near focus instead of far.

In hindsight, buying the scope was probably a mistake due to a rush of blood to the head. I was late for work and made a rushed and possibly rash decision. My main scope is a Kowa TSN 883. I hope it won't be a case of going from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Still, it will be convenient to have something in the car boot for when an opportunity crops up.

Birchall

Congrats, I hope the scope is good. I think a few years ago BF members who bought it reckoned it was perfectly usable, and some even posted a few photos they´d taken through it. Did you have a look at the Lidl Bresser roof binos for 120 euro?

Hello to all,
Our branch of Lidl have an optic event
on Monday 17th.Dec. on offer:-

Spotting scope + tripod £99.99.

10x50 Bino's £9.99

8x60 BAK-4 Bino's £79.99

Night Vision Viewer £109.99

It's the Night Viewer I'm interested in because:-
Every evening I put out food for the Hedgehog. It's all
gone by the morning. But, the other night I thought I
saw a rat. Would I be right in assuming that the Night
Vision Viewer will enable me to ascertain the presents
of warm blooded creatures in the dark? Opinions greatly
appreciated.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back