• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return to Iran, the Enchantment Continues. (1 Viewer)

18 April. Masrae Seh, Dez River.

Tracking down the specialities in Iran is far from straightforward – very little information exists and the status of many species is poorly understood. On my first trip to Iran in 2011, even sites for the country’s endemic Pleske’s Ground Jay were basically a mystery and many an hour I scrutinised satellite maps to try and locate good birding areas, both for the jay and for other species throughout the country.

Prior to this latest trip, still virtually no information existed for Basra Reed Warbler, one of my main targets. Primarily a breeder in the Mesopotamian marshes of Iraq, a handful of records did exist for Iran, but unfortunately concrete details were painfully scant. In 2012, Swedish birders found a singing bird ‘near the village of Masrae Seh’, but were regrettably unsure of the exact locality and could only describe it as 'about an hour north of Ahvaz'. In my pre-trip planning, I struggled to even locate Masrae Seh (!), so what hope I thought for a patch of marshland somewhere near it! Falling back to my strategy with satellite images, I spent a few hours scanning vast areas of the lower Dez Valley and lands adjacent to the Iraq border in the hope of locating areas of suitable habitat. Discounting a swathe of marshland right on the sensitive Iraqi border, I finally pinpointed a possible site some 40 km north of Ahvaz and drew paper maps with possible access routes and tracks, adding GPS coordinates for use in the field. Googling possible spelling variant of Mazrae Seh, I also finally located this village and was pleased to find it lying pretty close to the marshland I had identified. I still however didn't rate my chances too highly ...I was far from sure that my identified location was actually reedbeds and even if it, it was certainly going to be challenge to find a Basra Reed Warbler - a fairly rare small bird with only a dozen or so records ever in Iran, secretive in nature and inhabiting a habitat largely inaccessible, plus it would be stinking hot within an hour or two of dawn! Gee, I thought, why was I even bothering?

So it was, an hour before sunrise, I was hitchhiking down the main Shush to Ahvaz road watching the GPS on my mobile phone to see where to jump out. At the appointed spot, I hopped out and began my walk, the marsh was approximately 10 km or so from the road. I actually managed to hitch another lift about half way, then with the help of my crudely drawn map and GPS coordinates, I took a small side track that paralleled a canal. An amazing locality, Night Herons abundant, Cattle and Little Egrets too, plus a couple of Pygmy Cormorants flying over. Along the canal, two-a-penny Pied Kingfishers and Red-wattled Plovers, then the first dainty White-tailed Plover. Turtle Doves in scrub, Rufous Bush Robins common and Graceful Prinias scratching out their songs. On I walked, a Grey Hypocolius flew over, singles of both Turkmenistan and Woodchat Shrikes appeared atop bushes, flocks of Black-headed Buntings fed in arid fields alongside, so too Ortolan Buntings and Afghan Babblers.

And then, a feast for the eyes, a vast marsh opened out to the left, far better than I had been expecting and absolutely peppered with birds. Wafts of Collared Pratincoles filled the sky, perhaps 250 in all, a breeding colony located a little further along, while on the marsh itself, ranks of Black-winged Stilts paddled shallow pools, along with Grey Herons, a few Purple Herons and an impressive 40 or so Squacco Herons. Whiskered Terns milled in flocks, a Marsh Harrier quartered the reeds and another dozen or so White-tailed Plovers adorned grass flats adjacent. Also, a couple more Pygmy Cormorants. I however had a small problem - though I could watch over the marsh with ease, I was actually on the wrong side of a canal to actually access it! Separated by the canal and then a couple of hundred metres of grass and shallow vegetated waters, the edge of the dense reeds (i.e. potential home to Basra Reed Warbler) was certainly too far away for any hope of detecting a small warbler hiding away in its interior. Voice of Clamorous Reed Warblers drifted out, a couple of European Reed Warblers too, but without getting closer, I could see my chances for Basra Reed Warbler were slim. With no bridges whatsoever, I basically had the choice of retracking about 4 km, taking a swim or hoping for a bridge further along. With the heat already beginning to build, thoughts of retracking didn't appeal, nor did the swim, so on I went. Red-throated Pipits rose from the track, a Dead Sea Sparrow perched in a shrub, Iraq Babblers moved through damper vegetation.

Not far along, to my immediate right, a small patch of reeds clogged a drainage channel, fish pools beyond. I would have barely given the reeds a second glance were it not for a rather splendid male Little Bittern clinging to reed stalks midway up, but as I passed a little melody of grating churrs and sparrow-like chirps seemed to be floating up from the hidden depths. As it registered, alarm bells began to ring! 'Surely not?', I found myself asking. Realising song was always going to be the best way to find a Basra Reed Warbler, I had taken the effort to not only familiarise myself with the song of this species, but also make a copy on my mobile phone for double checking in the field if need be. As it churred and grated away, I sat on a mud embankment and listened, the bird a mere two or three metres distant, but completely invisible. After direct comparison with the recording, there was doubt, I was indeed sitting next to a Basra Reed Warbler! I really couldn't believe it - against all the odds, I had located one!

To say I was ecstatic is an understatement, all I had to do now was actually see it, easier said than done. Lying my mobile phone on the ground, I managed to get some nice voice recordings, but it took a good fifteen minutes before I got my first glimpse of the bird, considerably longer to get good views. For the entirety of the time I spent there, never did the bird emerge from the reeds and never did it do anything but clamber about in the reeds a few centimetres above the ground. Had the bird not been singing, there is no way I would have located it!

Basra Reed Warbler was the absolute highlight of my trip to the Dez River, but an entirely more remarkable event occurred while I was squinting into those reeds trying to see the bird. Turning to scan the main marsh on one occasion, Collared Pratincoles ever-present and a rich assortment of waterbirds dotted across, my binoculars logged an assortment of herons ....Squacco, Squacco, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Grey Heron ...Purple Heron, er no. 'Bloody hell, that's wrong, that's not a Purple Heron'. The bird in question was nothing less than a Goliath Heron! Extremely rare in Iran, birds are supposed to occur in small numbers in the mangroves in south-east Iran and are certainly rumoured to be present in the Iraqi marshes to the west, but I certainly had not expected to see one!

Well, what a morning, simultaneous Goliath Heron and Basra Reed Warbler! By the time I had eventually seen the warbler however, I was a little disappointed to find the Goliath Heron gone, probably having simply walked into patches of high reeds just beyond. Oh but I was feeling quite happy. It was however also getting rather hot!

Walking further, it transpired there were no bridges over the channel, so I never accessed the main marsh at close quarters, I can only assume Basra Reed Warblers breed in some numbers there …or otherwise I was just exceptionally lucky, the bird I found was in the one and only patch of reeds on my side on the canal! After a while, I took a side track leading through agricultural fields away from the marsh. Though bird numbers were lower, a few pairs of Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters were breeding in mud banks, Menetries Warblers sang from bushy areas and a Pallid Harrier winged its way through. A road that I had identified from satellite images turned out to be a railway, but beyond that I found another smaller road. From there, the sun now burning down, I hitched a lift on the back of a motorbike to a village some kilometres distant and from there back to the main road. I then got a lift back to Shush, arriving early afternoon in time for a short siesta, 60 species under my belt for this morning.

Afternoon entertainment was far more tranquil, simply taking a late afternoon stroll on open land behind Shush castle. I had seen Sandford's Fox here on a previous trip, but the honours this time went to a couple of Black Francolins, three European Rollers, three Turkmenistan Shrikes, three Woodchat Shrikes and one Red-backed Shrike.

Day over, what a stunner it had been!

Last edited:
Yuk, the mere thought of stinking sardines under a boiling sun, errr I feel sick already :)

The inspiration was Wilfred Thesiger, as well as a counterpart in Australia, guys who wandered off for a desert crossing with a can of sardines as rations.
Your reaction makes it all much more clear, they too hated sardines, so they endured rather than opening the tin.

Separately, congratulations on the Basra Reed Warbler! Very gratifying that the species has survived the effort to dry out the marshes.

I still think Iran should appoint you as their birding ambassador!

Last edited:
Once again fortune favours the brave and well prepared - a great-sounding site and a great reward for a
superb piece of pioneer birding!

Back to crows for a moment - I'm hearing mutterings that another black and white crow - Collared Crow - is being lumped with Carrion Crow by the evil geneticists. Can anyone shed light on recent crow taxonomy?

Cheers
Mike

19 April. Dez River.

You just know the World is okay when the day starts with a male White-throated Robin! And that's just what it did, beginning another excellent day along the Dez River.

I today opted for a return to an area I explored on both of my previous trips to this area, namely the dense riverine thickets that border the Dez River alongside the river bridge a little north-west of the ancient site of Choqa Zanbil. A fantastic area of overgrown meanders and old ox-bows, the mosaic of arid bushland, damp thickets, patches of reed and open grassflats simply bustles with birds, a truly one of the best localities in all Iran.

And so it was, having hitched from Shush via assorted cars and motorbikes, I jumped out at the river and was immediately eyeball to eyeball with the male White-throated Robin hopping about under a bush. Clearly a migrant bird, this absolute stunner was my first White-throated Robin since 1987!

And then, exactly as happened on both of my previous trips, I got apprehended by a guard who seems to reside in a small tent by the bridge. No ill-intents however, as on earlier occasions, the kindly old gent simply wanted to share a tea, shoving a kettle of a small fire and dolling out several lumps of sugar to sweeten the brew. Ah, piping hot tea, Rufous Bush Robins scampering about and White-cheeked Bulbuls by the bucketload! Iran at its very best. In this sweltering hot corner of the country though, dawn hours are a valuable commodity, so tearing myself away from my new chum, I set off to explore. Failed to relocate the White-throated Robin, but plenty of other birds ...Rufous Bush Robins singing from virtually every thicket, Common Nightingales also, plus a bevy of migrant warblers, including Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Green Warbler, Marsh Warbler and Menetries Warbler. For the visiting birder however, there are some rather greater jewels lurking in these quarters ...a whole bunch of fine jewels in fact. And one by one, so they appeared, White-tailed Plovers on a grassy plain, flocks of Iraq Babblers in damper thickets, three Black Francolins scuttling off through the bush and, the cream of the crop, pairs and small flocks Grey Hypocolius, many gorging themselves on small berries. Wonderful birds all, so too four Mesopotamian Crows, a Dead Sea Sparrow, a few Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters and a pair of Stone Curlews. Also several flocks of Afghan Babblers, a couple of White-breasted Kingfishers and about 40 Yellow-throated Sparrows.

On my summer trip, I also chanced upon a roosting Egyptian Nightjar at this locality, but a couple of hours wandering in the same area (unsurprisingly) failed to repeat the event, so as the sun climbed high and productivity began to drop, I returned to the bridge, had another cup of tea and then, slightly reluctantly, decided to quit the area.

By early afternoon, I was back in Shush and an hour so after that, I was in the town of Andimeshk north. Boarding a 4.00 p.m. train, my journeys in the south of Iran were over ... in thirteen hours, I would be in Tehran. Till then, I relaxed on my bunk, wrote up my notes and pondered my next move, there was still a certain Black-headed Penduline Tit that had eluded me!

Last edited:
21 April. Mount Damavand.

5.00 a.m., woken from my slumber as the overnight sleeper train rolled into Tehran. Took a taxi across town to the Eastern Bus Station, then boarded a bus bound for Amol on the Caspian coast, jumping out at the junction to the mountain village of Reynah, gateway to the mighty Mount Damavand. My base for the next few nights, I rented a room in Reynah, totally confused myself with intergrade-type wheatears, then set off for a day of Alpine explorations.

Standing stark to a blue sky, delicate wisps of cloud dancing around the summit, the snowy slopes of Damavand looked most inviting and, even though I had zero ambitions to attempt the 5600 metre peak, thoughts of Caspian Snowcocks and Lammergeyers were soon firing me up. Oodles of Skylarks in song, a posse of Alpine Swifts hurtling around the lower slopes, one pair of Pied Wheatears, plenty of Rock Buntings, not bad fodder for the early stages of the climb, but overall the mid-altitude slopes seemed rather devoid of birds, quite clearly still a little early in the season for many of the mountain birds to have returned. As I climbed higher, with both Golden Eagle and Long-legged Buzzard soaring above and Western Rock Nuthatch scrambling about on boulders, I began my scans of the snowfields above, the obvious hope being a Caspian Snowcock strutting across an exposed area.

Whilst the diversity and density of birds was far from that I encountered in late summer, a grassy plateau at about 2800 metres was a most pleasant encounter - amongst abundant Northern Wheatears, Shore Larks and Tawny Pipits ambling about on the short turf, the fluty songs of Rufous-tailed Rock Thrushes floated across the hillside, gaudy-coloured males chasing each others across tumbled down stone walls, the more subtle females watching on. Rock Buntings dotted about, Red-billed Choughs high in the sky, the spot certainly seemed a good place to take a break and relax against a large boulder and watch the slopes above.

Far to the left, I spied three little dots traversing a snowfield, Iranian mountaineers heading for the summit, a brave move I thought, watching the snow and ice they were to face. One more Golden Eagle over a crag, then as I completed a long slow scan of the mountain side, thoughts of Lammergeyer forefront, a real surprise as two large bulky birds sailed through my field of vision … grouse on steroids, the birds passed over a deep ravine, turning to reveal flashes of white on the wings, Caspian Snowcocks! I'd been hoping to perhaps spot a bird silhouetted on one of the high snowfields, but this pair were quite superb - though distant, the whole setting was most evocative, a prolonged flight of the pair against a patchwork of snow and scree, wonderful. Landing on a rocky slope, soon the birds were lost to view, but I was rather pleased, not least as it gave me good excuse to not climb another thousand metres or so and play skating games on the icy slopes.

With this target seen, I began a gradual descent, more Rufous-tailed Rock Thrushes on route, along with a single pair of Persian Wheatears, a few Crag Martins and the occasional Chukar Partridge. Reaching the quiet Reynah - Polur road, I followed this for a while, adding more Western Rock Nuthatches, a flock of overhead European Bee-eaters and a rather nice pair of Blue Rock Thrushes. I also found another male White-throated Robin …one in the Dez Valley, one here, the two birds were almost 1500 km apart, but after a 27 year gap between my previous sightings, I had now found two in two days!

And with that, seeing a car trundling along, I hitched a lift back to Reynah and spent the last few of hours of the day wandering the orchards below the village - Tree Sparrows fairly common, a few Common Nightingales in song, two Syrian Woodpeckers, but otherwise fairly quiet. I did have thoughts of staying till dusk to see if the area harboured Scops Owls, but laziness prevailed and back to the village I went. Banana and yoghurt for supper, home for night a room I had rented.

Last edited:
21 April. Mount Damavand.

5.00 a.m., woken from my slumber as the overnight sleeper train rolled into Tehran........................

I rode that train once, Jos.............back in the '70s before the revolution. I wasn't a birder then (wish I had been) but I am absolutely loving this thread! Thanks for posting your travellers tales.

I can't wait for the next installment! Great stuff, Jos.

Specially for you :t:

22 April. Mount Damavand.

Still missing quite a few high altitude species for the trip, Crimson-winged Finches, accentors and Lammergeyers springing to mind, so set off at dawn once again for another hike to the middle elevations of Mount Damavand, taking a slightly more northerly route and ascending to just over 3000 metres. Crisp and sunny early on, a nice selection of birds including Persian and Black-eared Wheatears, Rufous-tailed Rock Thrushes again and a Hume's Lesser Whitethroat. Also bumped into my first Rock Sparrow of the trip, an increased number of Black Redstarts and yet more Western Rock Nuthatches (strangely, in contrast to previous trips to Damavand, I totally failed to find Eastern Rock Nuthatch on the mountain this time).

Dressed in fairly light clothes and open sandals, it is a fairly wise move to keep an eye on the weather and, three to four hours into my climb, a mean wind began to whip across the exposed mountain sides, the temperature dropping quite a few degrees. Dropping into gullies, all was fine for quite a while, Shore Larks and Red-fronted Serin added to the day list, but climbing onto a ridge the sight facing me down was none too promising, dark menacing clouds rolling in, obliterating the summit and threatening rain or, given the altitude, probably snow. Jeepers, I thought, it was time for a rapid descend, plotting a route directly down a gully and then eventually down to the Polur - Reynah road. With rain spitting and higher slopes already attracting a dusting of snow, I trotted downward at a fair pace, barely a bird seen until I got to the gully bottom. Climbing over a rock outcrop, a male Blue Rock Thrush bravely sang despite the chill wind, a Persian Wheatear hopped about on a sheltered slope.

And then the rain stopped, the skies began to part and hints of blue reappeared. All too soon, the sun was breaking through and I was left thinking, 'Drat, I've just thrown away about a 1000 metres of altitude for nothing!' Well, there was no way I was going to climb all the way back up again, so I decided to spend the next hour or so scrambling around in the gullies near the road. Not a bad move, not only did I find yet another White-throated Robin, but also a very nice Plain Leaf Warbler singling away in a small bush. Additionally, quite a few Rock Buntings, another Hume's Lesser Whitethroat and a Golden Eagle overhead.

Well, I hadn't found any accentors, hadn't seen any Crimson-winged Finches and not a hint of a Lammergeyer had gone over, but I decided to return to base anyhow, taking a short rest at base before again taking a late afternoon stroll around the orchards - Syrian Woodpecker drumming again, plus a very territorial pair of Hobbies and a smart pair of Bramblings. Again, I didn't stay till dusk to check for Scop's Owls!

23 April. Attempt Two, Black-headed Penduline Tit!

In three weeks of wandering in Iran, the days had been one long catalogue of amazing experiences and considerable success. One little blot however did sit in my copybook, the failure to see Black-headed Penduline Tit at Babolsar!

Much as I did not really want to revisit the Caspian lowlands, thoughts of departing Iran without at least more attempt of this rarely-seen species were equally unappealing. So, very much a compromise solution, I decided to day trip Babolsar from my little haven in the mountains …hitch to the site early in the morning, hopefully see it, then return to Damavand in the evening!

Though theoretically an easy journey, the total distance only about 130 km each way, the road from Damavand to the coastal strip was painfully slow, a torturous meander down a winding road full of total idiots playing suicidal overtaking games. One head-on collision between a bus and a truck en route, plus an second overturned truck further on, slowed things down even further, as did later getting stuck right in the centre of Amol city, not quite certain as to the correct direction out. Regardless, by 10.30 a.m. I was once again walking along the embankments through the rice paddies towards the Babolsar wetlands, sixteen days having elapsed since my last visit, hopefully enough time for the Black-headed Penduline Tits to have arrived!

Good first omens, a splendid Baillon's Crake creeping through scant reeds at the point I entered the wetlands. Bad second omens, the skies clouded over almost as soon as I arrived, basically the same as they had done on my first visit! Still, I was here now, so on I walked. Purple Herons again, a Marsh Harrier quartering, abundant hirundines, including quite a few Sand Martins and a Red-rumped Swallow. Exiting the first pool and beginning my walk of the second, I was already beginning to fear there was some sort of curse surrounding these penduline tits, maybe they simply did not occur here every year. Flocks of Whiskered Terns passed overhead, the distinctive kreekk krekk call echoing out, one flock of White-winged Black Terns too. Pool two was proving even quieter than the first, a couple of Northern Wheatears appeared to be breeding on the embankments, a migrant Common Redstart flitted along, but otherwise the full sum of birds amounted to basically zilch! Three-quarters of the way around, having mentally resigned myself to no result, a small bird popped up in the reeds in front …flicked the bins up and got a half-second eyeful of a dark bird, basically a chocolate-rufous back merging into an almost hood of black …Black-headed Penduline Tit!!! But, bugger, no sooner had I fixed my binoculars onto the bird and up it flitted, straight into the high canopy of a large willow adjacent.

Relocating slightly, I peered into that tree for ages, but not a sign did I see. I then slowly walked around the tree and scanned from the other side …bingo, a bird feeding right at the top. Then a sinking feeling, the bird was indeed a penduline tit, but an unmistakable European Penduline Tit, complete with highway mask and all! European Penduline Tits breed slightly further west in Iran and certainly occur at this site on passage. For a second, doubts flooded my mind, had I just hallucinated a dark hood? Surely not, I thought. But the bird I was now watching was a pure European Penduline Tit, no question. Fortunately, before there was time for depression to set in, a movement in the canopy just to the right caught my attention …and bam, there was a Black-headed Penduline Tit in its full glory! Ah, a sigh of relief! Watching over the next ten minutes or so, it turned out that there were actually five birds in the tree, three Black-headed Penduline Tits and two European Penduline Tits, neat indeed! And then, suddenly up they all flitted, flying high over my head and off to another set of willows some distance off.

Well, that was nice, my final target bird had fallen …I'd even got some photographs of the birds, albeit of dubious quality! Anyhow, with that, I continued my walk around the remainder of the pools - no further penduline tits, but I did add Great Reed Warbler to the trip list and, just as I was about to exit the site, I noticed a congregation of birds in a flooded rice paddy. Sitting to scan, my eyes almost fell out …hundreds and hundreds of Wood Sandpipers! I truly think I have never seen such a large single flock of these dainty birds - a careful count revealing no less than 870 paddling about! Wow, almost as good as a Black-headed Penduline Tit! Also one Green Sandpiper, four Ruff, about 20 Common Snipe and a lone Black-winged Stilt. Fourteen Little Egrets too.

And with that, I departed the wetlands, walked a couple of kilometres to the bus station and caught a Tehran-bound bus, jumping out at the Reynah junction again to arrive back in my base just before dark. A good day it had turned out to be!

Just superb trip reporting!

The aggravating thing is that there is almost certainly no one in the Iranian government who has any understanding that an environment that allows for some 870 Wood Sandpipers to assemble is a valuable resource that is well worth protecting and preserving.
Too bad the Ayatollah was not a birder.

Too bad the Ayatollah was not a birder.

It would be fun to imagine how different history might have been.

Then again - bearing in mind that the obsession of birders knows no bounds - he could have been; and the Iran-Iraq war was really all about making making Iraq Babbler and Basra Reed Warbler into Iranian endemics!

Cheers
Mike

... and the Iran-Iraq war was really all about making making Iraq Babbler and Basra Reed Warbler into Iranian endemics!

Except the Iran-Iraq war was started by Iraq with an invasion of Khūzestān, the only Iranian province with Iraq Babbler and Basra Reed Warbler ...we could argue that it was Iraq wishing to hog the exclusivity of the two as endemics, but given Saddam also drained the Mesopotamian marshes (heartland of the two species) to screw the Marsh Arabs, I don't think these incidental birds were too close to his heart.

Last edited:
Except the Iran-Iraq war was started by Iraq with an invasion of Khūzestān, the only Iranian province with Iraq Babbler and Basra Reed Warbler ...we could argue that it was Iraq wishing to hog the exclusivity of the two as endemics, but given Saddam also drained the Mesopotamian marshes (heartland of the two species) to screw the Marsh Arabs, I don't think these incidental birds were too close to his heart.

Obviously having ticked them himself he then wanted to prevent anyone else from so doing.

Extreme suppression getting a fully deserved reward eventually.

John

24 April. Mount Damavand.

Buckets of rain overnight, the torrential downpours rattling the windows almost to dawn. However, much to my surprise, a glance outside at sunrise revealed a cloudless sky, gorgious blue skies and, for the slopes above 3000 metres, a fresh coat of snow.

Some years back, I had stumbled across a high-altitude meadow just east of Camp 2 on the popular route to Damavand summit - summer home to herders, the combination of short turf, ramshackle stone dwellings and small pool had proved an excellent locality for birds, wheatears and buntings abundant, plenty of other stuff too. Far too early in the season for the shephards to have returned, and indeed too early for many of the birds, I decided nethertheless to hike to the site, altitude about 3000 metres. A super start to the morning with the wailing calls of Caspain Snowcocks filtering down from the high tops and the very pleasing discovery of a flock of about 12 Crimson-winged Finches feeding at low altitude. Also a pair of Rock Sparrows at this location and, rather out of place, a single Woodlark.

Despite the poor overnight weather and the lower snowline, it was soon apparent that a mini-influx of birds had arrived on the mountain this day, perhaps some also pushed down from higher altitudes. Red-fronted Serins, Shore Larks, a couple of Tawny Pipits, several Black Redstarts, abundant Linnets, all marked my route up the mountain. Also one pair of Finsch's Wheatears in a gully and even a European Roller on one of the lower slopes. At about 2700 metres I began to hit the first dustings of snow, very picturesque but not too nice on toes in open sandals! Fortunately with a warm sun beating down, many slopes were already becoming snow-free and it was a relatively easy hike up and across to my desired meadow. One more pair of Crimson-winged Finches on arrival, oodles of Northern Wheatears too, plus about 12 Rufous-tailed Rock Thrushes, an unexpected pair of Hoopoes (at over 3000 metres!) and a lot of Shore Larks and Rock Buntings. Four Lesser Kestrels hugged an adjacent rockface, Chukars called from slopes around.

I however had hopes of accentors on this plateau - at least an Alpine Accentor I thought I deserved, a Radde's even nicer. And indeed my luck was in ...after wandering around almost the entire meadow, almost an hour in all, I ventured towards a stone kraal, vacant of livestock but abuzz with birds. Abutting a small bank of snow, the kraal was certainly attracting birds, some feeding amongst the stones of the walls, others flitting down into the kraal itsel. A few Shore Larks shuffling around, several Rock Buntings popping up, but then the first glimpse of a small brown bird hopping about on the edge of the snow ...a Radde's Accentor! And then another peeping over a stone wall, and then another, and another! Jeepers, they were all over the place! It turned out that there were at least 12 Radde's Accentors feeding both inside and outside the kraal, a quite resplendent sight. Stayed with these birds for a half hour ir so, me just sitting quietly on a boulder watching the flock come and go, flushed every now and then by one of the Lesser Kestrels venturing too close.

By early afternoon, hints of clouds now gathering around the summit, I decided to descent. Found three Plain Leaf Warblers in shrubs near the road, plus yet another White-throated Robin. Bar Lammergeyer and, annoyingly, Eastern Rock Nuthatch, I had now seen all my target birds on Damavand. Just to rub the point in, a pair of Western Rock Nuthatches were hopping about on a big boulder just adjacent, I half expected them to start doing somersaults!

Back at base, I took my now traditional afternoon stroll around the orchards below town, Hobbies still present, one flock of Red-fronted Serins, one male Common Rosefinch. And with that, I retired to my room for the evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back