• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Nethy Bridge Vacation May/June 2014 (1 Viewer)

Day Ten

Day out with the family today. As my parents only had one full day with us and they both love the Findhorn Valley that's where we headed. Picked up a female Redstart heading up the valley. At the car park it was pretty quiet. A Ring Ouzel was singing away on the mountain opposite but we couldn't pick it out. Decided to go for a short walk up the valley as the weather was showery and a little cold. A few Wheatears were here and there but little else. Back to the camper for some bacon butties. Another Ring Ouzel heard just past the house with the dogs on the right but again, we could not locate it.

Wandering down the valley with a freshly cooked bacon sandwich in hand I thought I picked out a Tree Pipit. It certainly had fine streaking down the side. Decided to nip back and get my camera so I could use the zoom to help ID. On returning the Pipit was still there and singing away - ahhh well - another Mippit:-C

Heading back to the camper the alarm calls of an Oyc caught my attention. Sure enough an Osprey came up the valley, dived in the river opposite the car park but missed. A few minutes later one of the other birders picked out an Osprey - presumably the same bird? - flying across the valley further down with a fish in it's talons.

Time to leave and take advantage of the fact that the old man has plenty of spare room in his camperB :) . Two party kegs of Black Gold and Trade Winds were soon purchased directly from The Cairngorm Brewery.

99. Common Redstart.

Rich

Day Eleven

Came back about an hour ago from a walk around Loch Garten. 4 Roe Deer in the front garden was a nice surprise when opening the front door.

Loch Garten itself held the usual Goldeneye, Treecreepers, Coal Tits etc. Checked out the second prominentary where I had been told by the birder form Dollgellau that the Cresties had been seen but nothing doing. Decided to have a shufty down toward Loch Mallachie. And there, high in the tree, was a Crested Tit busily feeding away. The bird was located immediately to the right of the path with the waters of Loch Mallachie just visible through the trees.

Walking back to the car gave another Spotted Flycatcher.

A nice way to bring up the hundred:

100. Crested Tit:t:

Rich

Last edited:
Fit Like Rich ?

Well Done with the 100 :t:,that's a great total of species you have managed on your trip so far and you still have a few days left for some more.I hope you can add to It,before you head home at the weekend.

Fit Like Rich ?

Well Done with the 100 :t:,that's a great total of species you have managed on your trip so far and you still have a few days left for some more.I hope you can add to It,before you head home at the weekend.
Iawn diolch;) I think I'm almost done now unless a trip to see some waders can be fitted in Ian. Added a highly plastic Barnacle Goose today and a Moorhen at The Highland Wildlife Park.

101. Barnacle Goose
102. Moorhen

Rich

Day Six

Lovely day out with children today whilst OH went shopping in Inverness. Kept up my 100% record of not seeing a Golden Eagle in the Findhorn Valley

Rich

Pleased to meet you, I was in the black Qashqai.

A great write-up with birds, beer & The Doors, three of my favourite subjects. I celebrated with a Cairngorm's Callie & Peatbog Faeries after my unexpected fly-by sighting. I'm slightly envious that you caught up with Golden Eagle which eluded me this time.

Pleased to meet you, I was in the black Qashqai.

A great write-up with birds, beer & The Doors, three of my favourite subjects. I celebrated with a Cairngorms Callie & Peatbog Faeries after my unexpected fly-by sighting. I'm slightly envious that you caught up with Golden Eagle which eluded me this time.
Hi Dave. Good to meet you as well. It's a small world. I was hugely envious of your Caper sighting. The Goldie was all down to Ian for which I am extremely gratefulB :)

I think, though I'm known to change my mind, Orkney Island Dark is my favourite at the moment.B :)

Rich

Forget to mention the weirdest/ strangest sight I had today. Whilst driving to The Highland Wildlife Park what should be driving toward me but a silver Zed. Having part-exed my own silver Zed 4 months ago against a Diesel Vee Dub:C in Swansea, pangs of envy came all over me. This was multiplied by an infinite amount when it got nearer to me and I read the number plate - holy $€%# it was my old car:eek!:

I hope the new owner is looking after it. 3.5 litres of V6 glory howling around the Highlands. Am I jealous - HELL YEAH!!!!!!o:D

Rich

I think, though I'm known to change my mind, Orkney Island Dark is my favourite at the moment.B :)

Rich

I had a Dark Island too but the best by far IMO was Windswept Brewing Co's Wolf that I bought from the shop at Glenmore campsite. Dark, strong & 6%, well worth finding.

Enjoy the rest of your 'vacation' Clark. :t:B :)

Day Twelve

Quiet day today with the family. The boys really enjoyed feeding the Reindeer on Cairngorm. Noticed a female Ring Ouzel with a beak full of worms where they were being fed.

Up on Cairngorm itself the clouds were down so there was nothing except a solitary Pied Wagtail to be seen. Down in the car park a couple of Red Grouse were in the heather.

Rich

Day Thirteen

Last full day and typically the weather was dreadful. Checked out a couple of areas ready for the next trip. Also picked up some supplies (B :)) ready for Fathers Day next weekend.

Had a couple of BTD's at the usual place enroute to Nairn along with juvenile Stonechat, Red Grouse, Bullfinch, Linnets etc.

My eldest said the ice cream at Basil Harbour Cafe in Nairn was delicious. Gordon was spot on (as usual) when he said you could drive right up to the sea wall. Unfortunately the tide was out and it was really misty so not a lot to be seen.

From here we had a look at Culbin Sands. Again, the weather was awful so our walk lasted about 45 mins. Waders were conspicuous by their absence. The dune/ gorse area looked really interesting though. I'll definitely be coming back here in better weather.

I'll add a few poor photos when I get home. We tend to leave on the Friday as the boys usually sleep for half the journey. Not looking forward to the 550 mile drive tomorrow.

103. Reed Bunting (Nairn)
104. Sparrowhawk (Nethy Bridge)

Rich

Last edited:
Have a safe journey home Rich and hopefully we can meet up again,on your next visit to Scotland.
Enjoy your ales on Fathers Day. B :)

You've had a great couple of weeks really Rich, with a good selection of birds. Glad you made it to Handa this time.

Take care tomorrow.

Day Thirteen

My eldest said the ice cream at Basil Harbour Cafe in Nairn was delicious. Gordon was spot on (as usual) when he said you could drive right up to the sea wall. Unfortunately the tide was out and it was really misty so not a lot to be seen.

Rich

The trick with writing a Best Birdwatching Sites guide is to include a few easily verifiable bits and bobs - yes, you can drive up the sea wall at Nairn; yes, the hide at Findhorn is really grotty.

That way, everyone will believe all the random dross you use to pad out the rest of the book;););)

Looking forward to reading about your future trips.

Cheers,

Gordon

The trick with writing a Best Birdwatching Sites guide is to include a few easily verifiable bits and bobs - yes, you can drive up the sea wall at Nairn; yes, the hide at Findhorn is really grotty.

That way, everyone will believe all the random dross you use to pad out the rest of the book;););)

Looking forward to reading about your future trips.

Cheers,

Gordon

Cheers G. This explains why I enjoy your book so much. I've always preferred fiction to non-fiction;)

Seriously though it was a great help and has been packed away safely for the next visit.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back