• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Scanner (1 Viewer)

simon

I am thinking about buying a slide scanner to scan around 4000 slides into my computer, looking in the jessops catalogue (not to buy just to compare ) the scanners seem to range from £200 to over £2000 Has anyone any advice on the best at the cheaper end there seems to be alot around the £250 -£400 range. Are they any good? Are the dedicated scanners better than the flatbed with adapters ? What about the nikon copier for the 4500 or the eagle eye version. I willing to spend enough to get reasonablre results but certainly not into the £000's

Thanks in advance

Simon B :) B :) B :) B :)

I've got a Hewlett Packard 3570c with a slide scanning adaptor. The results I get from slides are very dark indeed - often so dark as to be useless (ie beyond salvaging with a graphics programme). Even where it works, the quality is nothing like as good as the original slide, or that I get from scanning prints. Other flatbeds I've seen in this sort of price bracket have produced similarly unsatisfactory results. So I'd imagine you'd have to buy a dedicated one to get consistently decent results.

simon said:
I am thinking about buying a slide scanner to scan around 4000 slides into my computer, looking in the jessops catalogue (not to buy just to compare ) the scanners seem to range from £200 to over £2000 Has anyone any advice on the best at the cheaper end there seems to be alot around the £250 -£400 range. Are they any good? Are the dedicated scanners better than the flatbed with adapters ? What about the nikon copier for the 4500 or the eagle eye version. I willing to spend enough to get reasonablre results but certainly not into the £000's

Thanks in advance

Simon B :) B :) B :) B :)

A flat bed scanner with slide attachment won't give good quality results and my recommendation is a dedicated film scanner.

A basic good scanner is the Minolta DS III. It gives 2700 DPI, enough for A4 enlargements, but you will have to spot the scans yourself - i.e. use photo editing software to remove small dust spots and blemishes.

In my experience spotting slides is a right royal pain if you have more than a 100 scans. Fortunately some scanners come with a hardware and software tool that automatically removes dust marks and scratches while scanning and amazingly the latest versions have no impact on image sharpness. They use an infra red channel to distinguish dust/scratches from the image and go under the name of ICE (from Applied Science Fiction) or FARE (from Canon).

A good ICE scanner is the Nikon Coolscan IV though it is discontinued. I'm not sure it handles Kodachrome well, esp. with ICE enabled.

Better scanners are the Nikon Coolscan V and Minolta 5400. They give similar results, cost about £500. come with ICE, and are good for A3 enlargements. The Minolta handles Kodachrome much better, but the Nikon has slightly greater dynamic range, and is faster. There is a comparative review on www.PhotoZone.de. I have a Minolta 5400.

There are some scanners that come with software versions of ICE but in my experience the dust cleaning software is worthless and no substitute for ICE/FARE.

Scanner choice.

I too use the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400.

Previously I used a Pacific Image Silver which had a maximum resolution of 1800 DPI - although a very good scanner just not enough for good enlargements. I believe this is sold in the UK under the Jessops brand.

When upgrading recently I found that the Minolta gave comparable if not better results than the Nikons for about half the price (Canada).

The Minolta software is very good but I also use Silverfast AI 6 with IT8 calibration from Lasersoft which is superb.

It should be noted that "Digital ICE is not compatible with Kodachrome or traditional silver-halide black and white films".

Mike Pearson said:
It should be noted that "Digital ICE is not compatible with Kodachrome or traditional silver-halide black and white films".

I get good scans of Kodachrome 64 from my Minolta 5400 with ICE enabled. I have not tried B&W but think it works. The Minolta has a Grain Diffuser which IIRC allows the use of ICE on KR and B&W.

Thanks for all the info
I think a dedicated scanner is definitely favourable over a flatbed, 95% of my slides are on fujiprovia or sensia so the kodachrome problem is not an issue

When upgrading recently I found that the Minolta gave comparable if not better results than the Nikons for about half the price (Canada).

Mike which Nikon did you compare the 5400 with ? Over the pond in rip off Britian the nikon LS50ed & LS4000 are comparable in price with the 5400 at around £500

but you will have to spot the scans yourself - i.e. use photo editing software to remove small dust spots and blemishes.

Thanks for the info Leif with over 4000 slides to scan i think ICE would be a distinct advantage

Simon B :) B :)

What Scanner

Simon,

The Minolta 5400 and the Nikon LS400 are about equal in price here. I originally was quoted $1900 on the Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and $1099 on the Minolta 5400. The Nikon has recently dropped to $1600.

My note about Kodachrome slides and Digital ICE is taken from the Minolta handbook - I have also read this fact in a couple of other publications including a book on Silverfast. Because of this I have always scanned any old Kodachrome without ICE. I have some old slides, including Kodachrome, to scan for a friend so I will try them with ICE and see what happens.

Polaroid has an excellent Dust and Scratch Removal Utility that can be downloaded free at:

http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html

It installs as a filter in either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and can be used on slides where ICE is not compatible.

I am totally happy with my Minolta. Whatever brand you purchase see if there is a trial version of Silverfast for the scanner - well worth trying. I started with a test version and have now purchased the full version.

Mike

Mike Pearson said:
Simon,

The Minolta 5400 and the Nikon LS400 are about equal in price here. I originally was quoted $1900 on the Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and $1099 on the Minolta 5400. The Nikon has recently dropped to $1600.

My note about Kodachrome slides and Digital ICE is taken from the Minolta handbook - I have also read this fact in a couple of other publications including a book on Silverfast. Because of this I have always scanned any old Kodachrome without ICE. I have some old slides, including Kodachrome, to scan for a friend so I will try them with ICE and see what happens.

Polaroid has an excellent Dust and Scratch Removal Utility that can be downloaded free at:

http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html

It installs as a filter in either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and can be used on slides where ICE is not compatible.

I am totally happy with my Minolta. Whatever brand you purchase see if there is a trial version of Silverfast for the scanner - well worth trying. I started with a test version and have now purchased the full version.

Mike

I would second the recommendation for the Minolta slide/negative scanner. Mine is older, a Dimage Scan Elite II, but it is excellent. The Digital ICE is indispensible if you're doing more than a few scans. The Minolta software isn't bad, but I get better results with Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com). The author is very helpful in case of problems.

Alan

Have you tried the Polaroid software? I tried it a year or two ago when I had a Microtek 4000T but was unimpressed as it removed detail.

Did'nt know it even existed until this thread if it is a free download i may well give it a go dependent of results when i get a scanner

Horses for courses, I agree for sure but Epson flatbeds (1650 Photo and up) will scan slides rather well; Canon, similarly. A dedicated scanner is the best as all have said if ultimate quality is requied for large prints and if it's going to be used a lot, but the latest flat beds at around £150-00+ are quite amazing according to all the reviews - even on photo sites; and they are so very flexible, whereas slide scanners are not. I want to upgrade my existing Epson 1650, which itself produces surprisingly acceptable scans from negs and slides, but I'd like something even better eventually; I just know whether I would get £300-600 worth of use out of a dedicated set up, sadly - or whether I have the time needed as scans are slow.

Last edited:
Leif is correct in saying that the Polaroid Dust & Scratch remover can cause some loss of detail. I now only use it on slide and negative scans where I have not used ICE - however you can minimize this loss by carefull settings of tile size and defect level. It is also very useful when scanning prints on my HP flatbed.

I also use the following Photoshop plugins - FocalBlade (sharpener) and ColorWasher (color cast remover) from PhotoWiz:

http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/index.htm

Demo versions are available on the web site.

The web site for Silverfast AI is:

http://silverfast.com/

with a Forum at:

http://www.silverfast.com/forum/index.php

well worth looking at.

My Epson 3170 flatbed does a good job scanning slides. One nice thing about it is that you can put 4 slides on the bed, scan them, and it will recognize that there are 4 slides and automatically separate the results into 4 separate image files. An earlier flatbed I had would not do this - you'd either get a big scan of all 4, or you'd have to separate them yourself first before doing the scan (by selecting each one with the scanner software) and then do 4 separate scans.

There's a review on http://www.photo-i.co.uk of a flat bed scanner that to my surprise can scan slides almost as well as a Nikon Coolscan 4:

"One year ago I reviewed the Epson 3200 scanner, which produced a film scan quality to rival most dedicated film scanners. The Epson Perfection 4870 not only follows in the 3200 footsteps by offering a higher resolution of 4800dpi, but also includes features such as, multi format film scanning, DIGITAL ICE for both film and print scanning."

It's worth a read.

RAH said:
My Epson 3170 flatbed does a good job scanning slides. One nice thing about it is that you can put 4 slides on the bed, scan them, and it will recognize that there are 4 slides and automatically separate the results into 4 separate image files. An earlier flatbed I had would not do this - you'd either get a big scan of all 4, or you'd have to separate them yourself first before doing the scan (by selecting each one with the scanner software) and then do 4 separate scans.
This looks interesting, thanks! And Leif's post, too, suggests that flatbeds are catching up with dedicated film scanners. My wallet can't yet stretch to the new Epson but Christmas isn't too far away...

I've had an Epson Photo 1200 flatbed with slide adaptor for yonks but the cold cathode tube has turned too pink to use. Rather than replace it, which would be about 2/3 of the cost of a new 3170, I'm going to be upgrading to that. I'd love to be able to afford the Nikon Coolscan, but the 3170, by all reports, is more than adequate for what I need. Plus, US-Epson is having a $50 mail-in rebate 'til the end of October. Not a bad enticement. :t:

scampo said:
This looks interesting, thanks! And Leif's post, too, suggests that flatbeds are catching up with dedicated film scanners. My wallet can't yet stretch to the new Epson but Christmas isn't too far away...

Steve/Simon: Canon have announced that they are discontinuing their 35mm film scanner and they are replacing it with .... a flatbed scanner that will be able to scan 35mm to large format and prints too. They claim that the 35mm scans will be as good as if not better than with their dedicated 35mm film scanner. Comes with Canon's version of ICE. At a price of no more than £350, and probably closer to £300, if it does the job, then it wil lbe a bargain.

Leif said:
Steve/Simon: Canon have announced that they are discontinuing their 35mm film scanner and they are replacing it with .... a flatbed scanner that will be able to scan 35mm to large format and prints too. They claim that the 35mm scans will be as good as if not better than with their dedicated 35mm film scanner. Comes with Canon's version of ICE. At a price of no more than £350, and probably closer to £300, if it does the job, then it wil lbe a bargain.
I thought it would happen sometime - thanks. Leif. I'll look out for a review later in the year.

scampo said:
I thought it would happen sometime - thanks. Leif. I'll look out for a review later in the year.

Often sitting back and doing nothing is better than acting rashly. At least that's my excuse!

Check out www.photo-i.co.uk where a review should appear soon ...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back