• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carolina Wren Nest Destroyed, Now What? (1 Viewer)

EarthNerd

Carolina Wren Nest Destroyed, Need Advise Please

I've always loved animals and nature, but never called myself an avid bird watcher until two Carolina Wrens built their nest on my backporch. I did my research and revelled in the excitement of watching this pair build their nest (in an old CD stand I had put out for an upcoming yard sale). The female laid her eggs and remained diligent in caring for them. The male sang from dawn until dusk. I learned to identify his song, which I woke up to every morning. My first thought each morning for the past month was always related to these little guys, whom I started calling "Betty and John". It was hard to ignore his belting tones from a tree right outside my bedroom window. |=)|

Their eggs hatched either late Tuesday or Early Wednesday. This afternoon, I went out on the back porch and found their nest on the ground. The nestlings were gone. There was no singing all day today. In fact, the backyard is strangely quiet with not only the sounds of John's songs missing, but other birds as well.

I don't know what got them. I also had a wild bunny in my backyard who had two babies. She would sprawl out under the shade of a tree each day and just relax there for hours. I haven't seen her or her young in about two weeks. I'm beginning to think whatever happened to the bunnies, happened to these little birds.

I'm absolutely heartbroken for the parents of these little nestlings. I know if a nest is attacked, they generally will not return to the same nesting area, but do they leave the territory entirely or will they still stick around and perhaps choose a better location for their nest? Any ideas as to what could have gotten these little guys? They seemed safe there between my fenced in yard (which the bunnies found a way in and out of), my dog (who is more about protecting a living creature than hurting it and my regular presence outdoors.

As for the nest, it is still on the ground, but I assume, I should dispose of it at this point since the nestlings are gone and there is no sign of the parents?

I attached some photos I was able to take of where the nest was built and the last one of course is of the nest on the ground, destroyed. :C Any informaton or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• Carolina Wren Nesta 2012-05-17 12 20 43.jpg
    Carolina Wren Nesta 2012-05-17 12 20 43.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 60
  • Carolina Wren Nest 2012-05-16 15.34.07.jpg
    Carolina Wren Nest 2012-05-16 15.34.07.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Carolina Wren Eggs. 2012-05-16 15.36.57.jpg
    Carolina Wren Eggs. 2012-05-16 15.36.57.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 109
  • 2012-06-01 12.29.55.jpg
    2012-06-01 12.29.55.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
If the nest is still in one piece, I would return it to where it was and just try to be patient for a bit.

Hard to tell what happened but I can tell you, I had a pair of Bluebirds that had a nest of almost ready to fledge youngsters and then a snake appeared. The parents went crazy and abandoned the babies who were all dead by the next day. Nature isn't always kind unfortunately.

Hi EarthNerd and a warm welcome from downstate SC and on behalf of the rest of the staff here at BirdForum.

Thanks so much KC for the advice and warm welcome. I will put it back in its place. I do hope they return. It was such a joy and honor to watch this couple the last few weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back