• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Birds? (1 Viewer)

It's a challenge. Itssomething you enjoy. There can be competition and collecting (lists, not specimens...) where adds another aspect. It's hard to explain, I just love birds and Birding.

For me it comes down to diversity of species within a habitat. Typically birds are the most common wildlife seen when out of doors and until recently I dismissed them as simply "birds" and never saw them beyond the collective.

Once I started to see each type of bird instead of them as the collective it really opened me up to enjoying them. I doubt I'll chase rarities over the globe, but I will strive to understand better the birds I commonly see and share my backyard with.

Toss in the calming nature of watching the various birds go about their business and it really is a multifaceted pursuit that enriches my life at the same time makes me a better ecological citizen in my use of chemicals to maintain my property. I don't want to kill or maim the wildlife just to have a greener lawn or redder rose.

Last edited:
I like being outside away from people and observing. Birds are very active so they make a great study. While watching them, I see all kinds of animals, plants, and insects; and it makes me feel more connected.

What a coincidence, I have just blogged about this very topic (blog link in my signature) and was actually going to come here and ask the very same question to others.

For me it is the fact they fly... the aspect of complete freedom.

I think it is down to the fact that birds are so accessible combined (and I hate to say this) with the slight cute-factor. I am sure most people would be mammal watchers if there was a choice but there are fewer species to see and many are active at times when we are not. So few people spend time on insects and minibeasts generally despite the fact that there is so much to see, particularly in summer when we are most likely to be out and about. Of course, there is a tale within that comment too, because birders have learned that it is a year-round activity, only limited by daylight hours.

I use to be really into palaeontology & prehistoric life when I was younger and was always fascinated with the evolutionary line that birds evolved from the genetic roots of dinosaurs and similar reptiles. I then started watching birds more and more wherever I went & when I was about 10 or 11 I went to a local Falconry center and my love for birds was successfully implanted, ever since then, I've just been amazed by the diversity of species and their behaviors among everything else. Best way I can put it really. Some of the other reasons listed above most likely have something to do with my love for them as well.

For me its the varieties of colour and species. Before i started birding i thought all british birds were brown. I have always been a walker as i have dogs and love nature, but then my dad bought me my first pair of bins and i could believe the different colours of birds in my garden and that was it i was hooked! The thrill of what new species i may see next i love!!!

when i was younger, my interest in birds consisted of attempting to capture birds in elaborate (and usually unsuccessful) traps of my own devising. at some point, i just decided I'd rather observe them, and that's how it started.

I've lost in bird's color and their stances. It challenges me to photograph them with all details as much as I could. Birds make me keen to invent equipment which make me get closer to them. And birds bring me to travel to entire parts of my country. Without birds I shouldn't get that much time and energy to do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back