• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2014 (1 Viewer)

What did anyone make of the shots of how the team precede the show finding nests....?
I thought it was a shocker really, walking down the paths and swatting bushes with sticks etc until a bird flew out and then probing for the nest.... we never did that in my day when we went nesting...! We just waited and observed with no forced reaction of "belting" the bushes....even we in our naivety we had standards..!
Do we really need new footage this badly .....?

We've seen this process on Springwatch before, at Ynys Hir. Tapping the bushes delicately with a hazel wand is not really swatting or belting, but I wouldn't like to think everyone will go out and have a go this weekend, for sure!

John

Just been watching Bittern dining habits. Astonishing, just gets progressively more gruesome. Excellent viewing, mind, and pulling no punches, with Packham (quite the dandy this evening) providing some good, clear informative commentary.

Super stuff.

James

Can't believe no mention of red backed shrike or grey headed wagtail, both seen at Minsmere today. Surely they had a spare camera team?

Can't believe no mention of red backed shrike or grey headed wagtail, both seen at Minsmere today. Surely they had a spare camera team?

Ah, but Springwatch plays with time a lot. Just because you know that was today doesn't mean Joe Public will notice if told its today tomorrow.

John

Brilliant week of springwatch - loved the article about the Bitterns. This has been the best programme yet. Love the Red button Unsprung too.

John: Midges, I know what you mean about the way they like to bite you - and they get into all the places on your body you will never dream about LOL 3:)

Regards
Kathy
x

I really enjoyed tonight's programme, especially the feature on the Stone Curlews - fantastic footage. I found the item about the woman hearing the dawn chorus for the first time very moving and I imagine that Martin was relieved that for once they didn't have him floundering about in mud or broadcasting from a pitching boat with a vomiting cameraman. ;)

Ron

I continue to like it all, including Unsprung, but one minor gripe is that the latter is sometimes a bit TOO chaotic! Still didn't give Katrina van Grouw all that much time, and with questions and answers, quizzes, videos etc all coming thick and fast, they sometimes don't have enough time to fit everything in.

The chaos is part of the charm of Unsprung, but if they could rein it in just a little so that Nick Baker doesn't look so rushed off his feet, that would be swell.

I thought his walk through the woods was really good - with all the flashy photography on show across both programmes, this short film was a great exemplar of what it's really like to just get out there for a walk and experience nature yourself.

I agree with everything you have said there Mr Tweedie. They do try to pack too much into Unsprung and it is very chaotic for much of the time.

For me, it really shows how difficult it must be to present a programme, while receiving continuous instructions through their ear pieces. I am sure this is why the odd slip of the tongue happens. Nick Baker obviously has less experience of this than the others and seems to be rather out of of his depth during Unsprung. However, as you say, his walk through the woods, where he was left to present the feature at his own pace, was excellent. The same was also true for Bill Oddie.

Ron

I just love everything about Springwatch. The presenters are great and the footage is brilliant. I also watch a lot of the red button stuff. One question though, I watched Unsprung last night and thought "WHERE IS LEVEL- HEADED JO? Has she moved on this time?

Dave

I think Level-Headed Jo's picture is on the desk in front of Laura. I am not sure what that means, though.

Ron

It was mentioned at the beginning of the first Unsprung - she has gone to a job in the City (if I heard correctly). In any event, she's got a job elsewhere.

I really like Nick Baker as a pre-recorded presenter (one of the best, I think), but I can't watch Unsprung this time - he struggles too much to handle the live aspect and keep it coherent. Oddly, they seem to have stolen the format from Top Gear!

I really like Nick Baker as a pre-recorded presenter (one of the best, I think), but I can't watch Unsprung this time - he struggles too much to handle the live aspect and keep it coherent. Oddly, they seem to have stolen the format from Top Gear![/QUOTE]

I agree. I find him embarrassing now and he was my favourite presenter. He should really have had lessons on how to deal with the voices in his ear before he was let loose on the viewing public. Would like to see how he got on if he just pulls out his earplug!

Sandra

Love Springwatch this year. I watched the first unsprung and decided then and there to never watch another - awful.

Still think that Martin is a waste of time - so bloody annoying. Otherwise I think this is for me the best Springwatch for a few years so far.

It was mentioned at the beginning of the first Unsprung - she has gone to a job in the City (if I heard correctly). In any event, she's got a job elsewhere.

Thanks Alf, I just ran the beginning of Unsprung episode 1 on iPlayer and Nick said that Level-headed Jo has fledged the Springwatch nest. Hope she is enjoying her new job.

Dave

Is there any need for the rounds of applause,when someone finishes speaking on Unsprung ? As well as being annoying,It must also be a concern for the wildlife on the Reserve,as It Is not only an open building they film from but there are several "Happy Clappers" outside the building also,so the noise must travel over an area of the Reserve.

I did have a chuckle that the #PhotoFail became a #PresentationFail by using prints you couldn't make out on TV.

So far it's been on form, with a lot of interesting segments that are either lesser known animals or informative about common species.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back