• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye relief and zoom (1 Viewer)

willemjacobusse

I have been reading quite a bit about optics by now and this leads to some very general questions:

What should be the minimum eye relief for eye glass wearers?

Why do zoom eye pieces tend to have short eye relief?

Which zoom eye pieces (either proprietary or generic astronomical) are suitable for eye glass wearers?

The minimum relief you need depends on what defects you suffer from and on the type of eyeglasses you wear (rimless ones let you get your eye much closer to the eyepiece, so less relief is needed).

Why zoom lenses have shorter eye relief? No idea!

Search this thread and you will find lots of information - probably too much! It really is best to get out and try as many scopes as you can. If you can't get to a dealer, then ask all the birders you meet if you can have a look through their scopes. Most are more than happy to oblige. Make sure you take notes at the time of exactly what you are using. It is very easy to forget the details.

Good luck.

Pete

Have a look through Leica lenses, the eye relief is superb for spectacle wearers. I get full field of view with 32x ww and glasses. Even the zoom is excellent. I switched from a Nikon scope for a Televid 77 as I spend a lot of time drawing birds theough the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back