• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Flamborough

Olivaceous Warbler still showing today, i got it at 6.20am this morn :t:, 2 Lapland Buntings east about 7am , went again this afternoon and the Warbler was still showing well at times too, 1 Redstart and a male Blackap in the hedge, 1 Common Buzzard south then west over old fall, and a few mins later a Cuckoo flew west then north over the plantation,

Flamborough

Olivaceous Warbler showing real well first this this morning, one of two Barred Warblers in the bay brambles showing real well near and in the golf course willows at about 11.15am,
Warblers006.jpg

Warblers008.jpg

Eastern Olivaceous

The highs and lows of birding:

Wednesday - altered work arrangements to finish the day in Leeds after starting in Halifax. Zoomed over to Flamborough - the bird never played ball - some people got brief views, some tickable, some not. John and James arrived after me and both scored. I got nothing at all, except cross with the crowd for turning the volume up when I'm trying to locate it by call. Left the site at 8.30, cold, tired, and hungry.

Today - lows again to start with - should have been present first thing - half an hour too late. Two-three hours standing about waiting - the bird not even calling - then suddenly it's calling and in to view. With the first few seconds of seeing it dipping its tail, it was already comfortably on the list. It then showed very well on and off for at least half an hour. Relief - I wasn't even bothered I'd lent the camera out and didn't have it.

Followed up by a very showy Barred Warbler, an imaculate Lesser White, and a massive chip butty and cuppa.

I've wanted this one for ages, (thanks Craig) - ever since I saw the one on the Alan Shaw tape.

Result.:king:

The highs and lows of birding:

Wednesday - altered work arrangements to finish the day in Leeds after starting in Halifax. Zoomed over to Flamborough - the bird never played ball - some people got brief views, some tickable, some not. John and James arrived after me and both scored. I got nothing at all, except cross with the crowd for turning the volume up when I'm trying to locate it by call. Left the site at 8.30, cold, tired, and hungry.

Today - lows again to start with - should have been present first thing - half an hour too late. Two-three hours standing about waiting - the bird not even calling - then suddenly it's calling and in to view. With the first few seconds of seeing it dipping its tail, it was already comfortably on the list. It then showed very well on and off for at least half an hour. Relief - I wasn't even bothered I'd lent the camera out and didn't have it.

Followed up by a very showy Barred Warbler, an imaculate Lesser White, and a massive chip butty and cuppa.

I've wanted this one for ages, (thanks Craig) - ever since I saw the one on the Alan Shaw tape.

Result.:king:

Well done Lawts, really felt for you on Wednesday. Agreed a great find by Craig. Justice for all those hours working the head. Some good shots on Martin Garner's Blog.

Hi chaps,

During a visit to Old Moor the other day I saw a little egret with ID bands on each leg . I was just wondering if there are any websites where I could try to find out the origin of said bands. I have both the colour and the lettering for both. I was going to post this on the 'Ringing' section but it appears to be a very 'quiet' area of the Forum.

Thanks very much.

Been to flamborough a few times but only ever parked at the lighthouse car park and not really done much birding as I have been with family. Where abouts is old fall plantation? Do you park at the same place? Going to try persuade the girlfriend for 'a day out at the seaside' tomorrow. Think I know what answer I'm going to get though!

Been to flamborough a few times but only ever parked at the lighthouse car park and not really done much birding as I have been with family. Where abouts is old fall plantation? Do you park at the same place? Going to try persuade the girlfriend for 'a day out at the seaside' tomorrow. Think I know what answer I'm going to get though!

The footpath to Old Fall is about half a mile before Lighthouse carpark on the righthand side of the road. Just look south and you`ll see the copse. A birders car park has been set up about 300yds before Old Fall in a stubble field. You will see the signs just past the caravan park on Lighhouse rd. You can park all day and have a good walk round.

Phil

Cheers Phil. Even if I can get over for the EOW I'm sure that will come in handy in future. I've always wondered where it was when I have visited Flamborough in the past.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...200294317830348328.000464d715034c972142d&z=13

Old Fall is the red bit, just follow the crowd

I could have seen the Barred Warbler from my van if I hadn't been in such a rush this morning. I saw a small crowd at the road and asked what they were looking at. I think they thought I was some 'white van man' taking the Mick.

With so many birders on the head over the last couple of days, I was wondering what else would be found.

Not on Saturday they weren't :eek!:

I'm at Flam next week. Those bushes will get a good scour! It's my own fault for being busy getting married during the peak time for the local ones!

Here is the Spurn bird report for Saturday......

Saturday 28th
Sea/migration watches 06.00 – 11.00, 17.20 – 20.00. A blustery W wind all day with some long sunny spells and a couple of sharp, short showers.

Only one Barred Warbler was seen today when it showed well at times in Kew Villa garden, a very early Firecrest was caught at Kew Villa in the morning but most migrants were keeping low in the windy conditions: 1 Cuckoo, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Tree Pipit, 42 Meadow Pipit, 15 flava Wagtail, 2 Redstart, 8 Whinchat, 7 Wheatear, 2 Reed Warbler, 1 Blackcap, 4 Garden Warbler, 1 Chiffchaff, 21 Willow Warbler, 1 Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Pied Flycatcher.

There was a good passage in the morning, particularly hirundines, totals (south unless stated) were; 11 Wigeon N, 31 Teal + 29 N, 3 Pintail N + 2 in, 22 Common Scoter, 1 Grey Heron in, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Hen Harrier in then west, 1 Merlin, 8 Oystercatcher, 9 Knot, 2 Snipe + 10 in, 1 Swift, 70 Sand Martin, 2300 Swallow, 133 House Martin, 14 Meadow Pipit, 12 flava Wagtail, 25 Greenfinch.

Other birds of note were 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 small grebe sp N in the morning, 1 Shag, 8 Little Egret, 1 Peregrine, 4 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Spotted Redshank, 1 Little Gull, 6400 Common Tern and 3 Arctic Tern.

Hi there Mannix. In Pete's defence just because there were 2 Pied Fly seen in the area doesn't mean he'd automatically see them at Spurn, especially in blustery conditions. Just the other day I covered all areas and had a count of 18 Willow Warblers but 67 (I think) were entered in the log! Likewise, 42 Whitethroat and 67 were logged. I 'missed' 49 Willow and 25 Whitethroat and covered the full peninsula! It can be tricky if the wind is up. By the way, amazing raptor passage yesterday as per Spurn website. .

Last edited:
Hi there Mannix. In Pete's defence just because there were 2 Pied Fly seen in the area doesn't mean he'd automatically see them at Spurn, especially in blustery conditions. Just the other day I covered all areas and had a count of 18 Willow Warblers but 54 (I think) were entered in the log! Likewise, 42 Whitethroat and 62 were logged. I 'missed' 36 Willow and 20 Whitethroat and covered the full peninsula! It can be tricky if the wind is up. By the way, amazing raptor passage yesterday as per Spurn website. .

Exactly - Spurn's about being in the right place at the right moment. The entries in the log are a combination of a lot of people's sightings, and no-one can go there and see everything! As Q says, it was very windy all day, and most passerines were staying nicely hidden - for most of the day even the churchyard and C&A car park seemed empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back